Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FenixStryker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
Do you guys know what exactly they look for? Because I've been trying desperately to get hired and obviously it hasn't worked out. Do you need connections to even be considered? It's starting to bug me because I know they still have positions open at the store near my campus.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
There doesn't seem to be any real guidelines. You don't need to know anyone to get in.

It's fundamentally down to how you get on with the people around you, including the interviewers.

Contribute, listen, speak positively. Relax and try and be natural. Try not to appear overeager.

FenixStryker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
Have you tried applying at other retail stores?

Yes, but again no response so far. Actually-- There was one store that replied however I literally had no way to get there plus my class schedule would make getting shifts impossible.

I live in Connecticut so there is only so many stores here.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Do you guys know what exactly they look for? Because I've been trying desperately to get hired and obviously it hasn't worked out. Do you need connections to even be considered? It's starting to bug me because I know they still have positions open at the store near my campus.

I applied to my local Apple Store in August, and received a interview opportunity a few days later (unfortuantly I didn't pass onto the second interview). I reapplied again last week, and scored another interview thursday.

After speaking to a few employees, and hearing what the team leaders had to say, it comes down to your personality (tech knowledge can be taught to you).

The best way I could put it would be to walk into your local Apple store and observe the employees. See how they interact, and observe their personalities.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
The people who run Apple stores haven't a single ****ing clue what they are looking for. Seems that actually using Apple hardware isn't a good thing. I learned BASIC on an Apple // and have been using Apple hardware longer than any Apple store employee has been alive. I would think that using the stuff you're responsible for selling would be a bonus, but no.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
The people who run Apple stores haven't a single ****ing clue what they are looking for. Seems that actually using Apple hardware isn't a good thing. I learned BASIC on an Apple // and have been using Apple hardware longer than any Apple store employee has been alive. I would think that using the stuff you're responsible for selling would be a bonus, but no.

I dunno, you sound too smart for your own good, technically skilled, and nerdy. You need to dress more hip, be more desperate for a job, and be more willing to zip your lip and gladly take on any cruddy role or shift that is given to you - and never talk back. I'm pretty sure those are more attractive qualities for a potential retail employee to a hiring manager.

:apple:

Reactions: Xenc

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I dunno, you sound too smart for your own good, technically skilled, and nerdy. You need to dress more hip, be more desperate for a job, and be more willing to zip your lip and gladly take on any cruddy role or shift that is given to you - and never talk back. I'm pretty sure those are more attractive qualities for a potential retail employee to a hiring manager.

:apple:

I did plenty of that during my 20 year Navy career. :) And Apple employees are dressed like ****. Jeans and blue Apple shirt isn't hip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.