Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tboneh08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
USA
I'm planning on purchasing a new computer soon and after using PCs since the age of 5 i have decided to make the switch to Mac. I was looking at the 12" iBook and was just wondering if the screen size is annoying. The monitor on the PC i am using now is 13.8" viewable and it is super annoying to me, but that is with Windows XP on 800 X 600 resolution (My dad can't see 1024 X 768... :p ) Does Mac OS and 1024 X 768 make it less annoying? Thanks!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
It's not annoying at all to me. Going from 800x600 to 1024x768 will make a big difference. Try setting your PC on 1024x768 only temporarily to see how big of a difference it makes. If you're getting by with that now, even though it's annoying, the iBook will be fine!

tboneh08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
USA
12" iBook

Thanks for the quick replies... I'm going to be the only one using it, and I have no trouble with 1024x768 (I have it set to it right now, at least temporarily) so I think I will look into them more before deciding. I dont do any picture/movie editing, i mainly just surf the web and do schoolwork, so I don't think it will be a problem since I am already used to this one. Thanks again!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Perhaps hold off on your purchase until after MWSF, since new Intel iBooks are imminent. Perhaps they will even have a 13" screen with them. :cool:

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The 12 inch is great. It's extremely portable, and the visibility is excellent, at least for me. If you deem it too small, go for the 14 inch. If you get the Combo Drive instead of the SuperDrive, it will be a $100 difference, which isn't too bad.

EDIT: It's a $200 difference with the Combo Drive, the fact that it is normally priced at $1299 messed me up.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Are you near an apple store were you could perhaps test one out? The best way to know if you like something, would be to test it out.

Also if you can wait for mid January, you may be able to get a better system then currently available, for a better price :).

Good luck :) .

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
I always liked the portability of the 12 inch, but I normaly work on a desk, so the 14.1 inch thinkpad I currently use works well; and its nice to have the 15inch lcd behind and higher than the noteboo; then it works as one large tall monitor. Having a 12inch and a 15inch lcd for dual monitors I think would be kind of irritating.

So I guess yeah, 12 inch would be to small. I'd get a 15 inch powerbook if it was my desision, but the difference in price is quite a bit between an ibook. The 14inch ibook doesnt give much since the resolution is the same as the 12.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
tboneh08 said:
Thanks for the quick replies... I'm going to be the only one using it, and I have no trouble with 1024x768 (I have it set to it right now, at least temporarily) so I think I will look into them more before deciding. I dont do any picture/movie editing, i mainly just surf the web and do schoolwork, so I don't think it will be a problem since I am already used to this one. Thanks again!

Well wait everyone. There's two different "smalls" we could be talking about. Small as in the text and stuff is too small to read, or small as in you can't fit enough windows/toolbars on the screen next to each other. If the latter is the case, you're going to want a 15" powerbook. If 12" 1024x768 is too small to read, get a 14" iBook. If 12" 1024x768 is fine (and it looks like it is for you) then there's no need to get a 14" iBook unless you want a superdrive. You could always get a 12" iBook with external superdrive, which will be able to burn faster as well.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I love my 12in iBook and in my opinion the screen is not to small for "normal" things. If it will just be web browsing and school work then you should be fine.

With expose set to hot corners everything is really easy to get to on the computer screen.

If you are use to using something with a greater resolution then you wil see a big difference and you might not like it. When i go from using my iMac to using my iBook it feels really weird.

While i love my iBook i would suggest waiting until MWSF to see what comes out.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
The 12" is just fine. I've been using a 12" iBook as my main computer for over 2 years now, and it's perfect for most of what I'm doing (which includes webprogramming, and even some light photoshopping). Before I got my iBook I had a 14" Pismo for 3 years, with the same resolution as the 12" (1024x768) and I prefer my 12", the 14" is a bit too big for that resolution.

1024x768 isn't much too work with, but for most purposes it's enough, and I've not grown out of it yet... ;)

Get the 12", or whatever equivalent Apple introduces at MacWorld.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
It is all relative, it depends what you want to do, if you want to use Aperture and look at 4 12megapixel high resolution pictures at the same time then may be you need a 30" display.

12" is fine more most things but of course you get 12 because of the portability, 15'' would be beautiful but I personally have a 12" pb because it is easier to carry around.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
12" iBook (and 12" PB) is a good compromise for both portability and viewing experience. At home, I use 20" and 23" ACDs for my PBs and I can view things on those screens while I am leaning back on my computer chair. But, when I hoist up my iBook on iCurve (I have 5 iCurves for my machines), I usually put it closer to me (almost to the edge of the desk) so that I can put the iBook's screen as close to me as possible.

Doing some Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, or Photoshop jobs on a 12" can be a little cumbersome as you need to move pallets and scroll bars around as you work on your projects; but, that is the trade off for getting a nice portability a 12" model represents.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
d_and_n5000 said:
The 12 inch is great. It's extremely portable, and the visibility is excellent, at least for me. If you deem it too small, go for the 14 inch. If you get the Combo Drive instead of the SuperDrive, it will be a $100 difference, which isn't too bad.

You no longer have an option to get a superdrive or combo drive on the 14" ibook, only comes with Superdrive. As for the 12" there is no superdrive option, only comes with a combo.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
BENJMNS said:
i personally think the 12" needs a slight bump up on the resolution scale

I think for its size, its current resolution is definitely acceptable, but if Apple ditches it for a 13" Intel model, expect to see the resolutlon improved as well. :cool:

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
California said:
You no longer have an option to get a superdrive or combo drive on the 14" ibook, only comes with Superdrive. As for the 12" there is no superdrive option, only comes with a combo.

I know that the 14 inch is now only one model, that comes standard with the SuperDrive. However, you can have it fitted with a Combo Drive at the Apple Online Store. It subtracts $100, and ups the shipping time because the iBook doesn't come standard with it.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70207/wo/CM6oLD7rxSFO3DjNkuIbhZdEb8j/2.?p=0

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Go with the 12". If you find you need more space, find a cheap monitor (eBay etc), run the screen spanning hack and have dual screens. Sorted.

::20ROGERSC::

fuzzynavo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
CA
ive been using a 12" pb for the past 3 years (a rev b. 1 ghz). after a while (i dont do very much image/video editing), i thought the resolution was a little lower than i would have preferred, but totally acceptable for daily use. especially if the 15" pb is out of your budget and the horizontal line issue makes things worse.

you should also see if the ibook screen is bright enough to your liking. maybe my pb is getting old, but i find the lcd isnt as bright or crisp as i would like it to be. especially if you compare it to a desktop lcd (but thats expected to a degree i suppose). it strains my eyes a little. thats why i opted for an external lcd as well.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Personally, I don't find the screen to be too small. I say that if you have perfect vision, you'll be fine. If you live near an Apple store, check one out yourself. Text isn't too small on my iBook for me to read, and there is ample space for windows. I think the 12 inch iBook is good for the average user because some people like me have no use for a superdrive and extra speed, and like I said, the screenis fine for me but I have 20/20 vision. Even if you have glasses or contacts you could be fine but as long as you don't strain your eyes, then it is not too small.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I used to think the 12" iBook looked too small when I saw them on display
in the store, but actually using one at normal desktop eye level makes a tremendous difference.

I would still wait until January 9th to see what happens during MWSF.
If Apple does release a new iBook, you'll be better off knowing all you options.

Right now the current model 1.33 GHz 12" iBook refurbs are going fast
for $799.
After the 9th, you may be able to get one new in box on clearance for about the same price.

mikesjo

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
The 12" iBook is great for portability, and general use, like school work, email, surfing. It was different going to this after using a 15.4" wide laptop pc and a 20" wide lcd. I'm not use to editing pictures on such a small screen but I won't use it for that that much.

I love this small lil laptop!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
A 13" WS might be hard to resist, especially if Apple improves the
resolution to HD standards, but I'm not sure if it will be worth several hundred dollars more for just the screen alone.
If the iBook goes dual core, then you better get in line.

Avialan

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2005
New York, NY
If you need it now, get it

the 12 inch. iBooks are great right now

you want to wait, fine (more days without a mac ;) )

once you get used to the resolution you'll be fine and you will think 800 by 600 was way to large

if you need something portable get the 12 inch., it's a great buy

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
1) Definitely wait until after the Expo next week!

2) 1024x768 looks much better on my iBook G4 than the same resolution on my PC. Therefore, don't worry about not be able to "SEE" the text, because that's absolutely fine.

HOWEVER

I've come back home to my PowerMac G5 (1280x1024 - 17" Screen) and I kinda find the 12" iBook (which im typing this on now!) kinda straining my eyes.

This wont stop me buying an Intel 12" (but hopefully it'll be 13.3" widescreen!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.