Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
We all have seen some great sports moments in our lives and here's my top five:

1) Bruce Jenner winning the decathlon
2) Boston Red Sox going four in a row in 2004 ALCS to beat NYY
3) US Olympic Team Hockey beating the Soviet Union in the 1980 Olympics
4) The Catch
5) Michael Chang's only major win in French Open being first American in a generation on clay and youngest men's open winner

I wasn't around for these, but "The Shot Heard 'Round the World", Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak, and Wilt Chamberlin's 100 point game come to mind. Those are amazing and I can't decide if the DiMaggio hitting streak is the most amazing thing I can think of in sports or Chamberlin's 100 point game. If LeBron scored 100 points he could retire the next day because anything he could possibly do after that would be overshadowed by this.

Attachments

• 1394053818_bruce-jenner-lg-02.jpg
    1394053818_bruce-jenner-lg-02.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 115

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
1) 1978 AFC Championship game. Mike Renfro's non-catch catch. Worst call in NFL history, worst than the Tuck Rule, Fail Mary and Megatron's not-TD combined.

2) Hakeem Olajuwan's dream shake. He does it so many times, but this one was special. He made one of the all time greatest centers, Mr Robinson, look like a rookie.

3) The Immaculate Reception (this coming from a guy who HATED the 70's and 80's Steelers. See #1)

4) Julius "Dr. J" Erving's behind the backboard layup.

5) OJ's "high speed chase" that interrupted the 1995 NBA Championship. Curse you OJ, Hakeem was putting a clinic on the other all time great center, Patrick Ewing.

The 90's was a great time for NBA fans, we had the GOAT, His Airness, AND 4 of the greatest centers of all time (Olajuwan, Robinson, Shaq & Ewing) playing at the same time.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
So these are the top five sports moments of other people's lives?

I think having sucked in all sports myself, I remember a weird day where I scored all the goals on my team in soccer (around 3 or 4). It was a one time being in the zone thing and that's a personal thing I remember.

One thing I tried to do but could never do on a track meet was get a lowly 59 seconds for the 440. Most kids who were good could break 55 seconds no problem. Yeah, I could do less than a minute in practice but on meet day, there was always something that kept me at 60 or 61 seconds.:eek:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
1. Secretariat wins the 1973 Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths.
2. The 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team defeats the USSR in the semifinals.
3. Hank Aaron hits home run #715 in 1974.
4. LaDanian Tomlinson rushes for 406 yards and 6 touchdowns on 43 carries in 1999.
5. Ndamukong Suh makes 12 tackles (7 for loss) and 4 1/2 sacks in the 2009 Big 12 championship game.

I would have included Wilt's 100 point game, but it wasn't in my lifetime.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
1) Red Sox winning the World Series in 2004
2) Red Sox comeback from 0-3 in 2004 ALCS
3) Patriots 2001 Super Bowl victory
4) Celtics 2008 Championship
5) tie for all the other Boston championships in the last 13 years, of which there are many. :cool:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So these are the top five sports moments of other people's lives?

Hm. My thoughts, too, to a certain extent.

For myself, personally, the question does not even begin to apply.

However, even thinking about the sporting achievements of others which may have given me joy, or pleasure, or been a source of vicarious delight, I have to admit I have great difficulty in coming up with the sort of examples the OP probably had in mind, and this is because sport does not really play any sort of a meaningful role in my life.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
This is a very US centric thread. Let's make it a bit more worldwide.

I played football with Alan Ball (England world cup winner).

Watching West Han win the FA cup (1980).

Seeing Nigel Mansell win the F1 championship (on TV obviously).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is a very US centric thread. Let's make it a bit more worldwide.

I played football with Alan Ball (England world cup winner).

Watching West Han win the FA cup (1980).

Seeing Nigel Mansell win the F1 championship (on TV obviously).

Now, that's more like it!

Agreed re the US-centric nature of most posts, (inevitable, given the composition of much of MR's membership), but there is more to the world, and sport, than the US.

Besides, most - in fact, almost all - of the US (sporting) references went right over my head, whereas I can relate - somewhat - to some sporting events which occurred The Other Side Of The Pond…....

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Probably the single most 'memorable' sports moment for me was when Darren McCarty (Detroit Red Wings) beat the snot out of Claude Lemieux (Colorado Avalanche) a year after he severely boarded Kris Draper.

Plus the time when Patrick Roy and Chris Osgood met in center ice to duke it out.

Ahh those were good times for NHL hockey! :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Red Sox comeback from 0-3 in 2004 ALCS
Patriots 2001 AFC divisional playoff game beating the Raiders with a field goal.
Patriots 2001 Super Bowl victory
Bruins winning the Stanley cup in 2011
Dale Earnhardt Sr. wins the Daytona 500 1998

To be honest struggled to fill out the list, though the last one was cool when he finally won the race.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Let's see, out of the belly (never been in a sports club or so):

- running 5x100m race as a starter in Berlin's Olympiastadium at 5th or 6th grade (probably my no.1 sports moment ever)

- shooting lots of free throws during one hour off at high school scoring almost 100% - sports teacher came and asked me if I want to play in the school team (in the sports hall while there was a girls group having sports class in the other half of the gym :D (girls and boys do have separate classes later in school))

- beating the older, first tier 5x100m runners when starting with 2nd tier at a tourney of different high schools (also as the starter - always afraid of missing the shot :D )

- intercepting a high pass via header and loop over opponent, full sprint at the left wing and shooting with the outside of the right foot. Ball hits inner right post, then the inner left post and goes in. Awesome!

- shooting a goal with the outside of the right foot on the right side out of full sprint almost at the corner (within sports hall on small goals). I ran into the wall and couldn't see the curve of the ball, but even the goalie was applauding :D

- many more

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Now, that's more like it!

Agreed re the US-centric nature of most posts, (inevitable, given the composition of much of MR's membership, but there is more to the world, and spot, than the US.

Besides, most - in fact, almost all - of the US (sporting) references went right over my head, whereas I can relate - somewhat - to some sporting events which occurred The Other Side Of The Pond…....

I always find it strange that they call it the world series, but only one country plays. Then they talk about it like it matters!

I think I might get some stick for that one!:D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I always find it strange that they call it the world series, but only one country plays. Then they talk about it like it matters!

I agree with you.

I also think that the thread title could do with some slight, ah, tweaking, as it is not about the individual sporting achievements of individual members of the forum (which might have been inferred by the thread title), but, rather, it is really about what sporting events were considered most impressive by whoever decides to respond.

Here, I think context, sense of identity, setting and location all matter; why does anyone feel emotionally engaged with - or identity with - a particular team (or individual - but most of the sporting events cited here seem to me to have been team events) at a particular time?

Is it the excellence of the performance, that particular game, the way that particular sport is played by that particular team on that particular day, (a celebration of athletic excellence), or a reaffirmation of one's own identity in a certain, controlled (and acknowledged) setting? Now, those are the questions that interest me…….

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal

It's getting there...Aoki (Japan), Sandoval and others (Venezuela), Pagan (Puerto Rico), Casilla and others (Dominican Republic), and that's KC and SF. There are also players from Mexico, Korea, Canada, El Salvador, and other countries.

http://mlb.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2004/m04/d08/c697610.jsp

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
  • Making a game-saving tackle on a charging forward in a playoff game in my local youth soccer league. I managed to catch the forward as he broke towards goal, almost one-on-one with the keeper and execute a perfect sliding tackle from behind and to the side, knocking the ball out of play. :)
  • Watching USA 2-0 Mexico in a 2009 World Cup Qualifier in Columbus.
  • Watching Columbus Crew win the Championship in 2008
  • Watching the Cleveland Indians' fabulous run towards the World Series in 1995, which we lost to the ****ing Braves.
  • Since I'm from Cleveland I'm only putting out four moments, because Cleveland haven't actually won anything since 1964. This space is reserved for the day we actually win something. ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The 92 and 93 Blue Jays disagree with you :p

Who???

----------

It's getting there...Aoki (Japan), Sandoval and others (Venezuela), Pagan (Puerto Rico), Casilla and others (Dominican Republic), and that's KC and SF. There are also players from Mexico, Korea, Canada, El Salvador, and other countries.

http://mlb.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2004/m04/d08/c697610.jsp

But a world series needs teams from around the world. None of those countries you mention actually play in your World Series.
Also having been to two baseball games in the US, it will never compete with the beautiful game world wide.
It is after all just rounders!!!

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Who???

----------

But a world series needs teams from around the world. None of those countries you mention actually play in your World Series.
Also having been to two baseball games in the US, it will never compete with the beautiful game world wide.
It is after all just rounders!!!

Soccer/football is the world game right now and probably basketball to some extent. It would be nice to see more countries take up baseball and even some minor league franchises to be international.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oh, I don't know.

1. Super Bowl 1
2. Super Bowl 2
3. Twins World Series wins
4. Any time the Redskins beat Dallas
5. Any time any team beats Dallas Cowboys or the Atlanta Braves

#

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
1. 1969. Playing punchball after school and it was the first time I punched the ball over the fence.
2. 1974. The McDonald's McColonels win the Forest Hills Basketball League Championship. I scored 19 points in the game and gotr my picture in the newspaper.
3. 1976. Summer camp. Loud mouth idiot taunting my pitching. Beaned him in the head with a softball, kind of hard.
4. 1980. Finally was able to duck the ball on the 7.5' high basketball rim at Yellowstone Park.
5. 1975. Caught my first, and only foul ball at Yankee Stadium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.