Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
Hey guys is it safe for the ibook to reach 65+ degrees on the bottom side of the gpu/cpu/psu becuase that is was tempature monitor is reporting

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
No problem. But it's about there the fans should kick in and take it down to 58-60°C as soon as the CPU is finished with whatever it was doing that got it so hot. :)

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
lol well i didnt think i was doing so much to make it heat up that much, ive seen it kick upto 70 but at that point i put it on a table upside down to call down

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Wow! Over 70...? That's hot. :eek:

You're not having it on a soft surface, like a pillow or something?

iBooks like hard, plain surfaces. I recommend having it on a wooden carving plate (or similar), like you see in this picture (it's from the Cat & Dog-thread, but it's the only one I have of my iBook and the plate easily accessible ;)):

attachment.php

That way you can have it on the sofa or your lap with out it heating too much up (or burning your lap). :)

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
lol nice cat, so laying in bed having in on your quilt a bad idea :p or just on my lap :p cuz thats when it reaches that temp

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
FWIW, light computing should be absolutely fine on soft surfaces. I play with my iBook in bed (read into that as much as you like, you're probably wrong) and for simple surfing, email and Word usage, it's absolutely fine. The fans don't even come on.

I think a chopping board may get in the way of my fun...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
semaja2 said:
Hey guys is it safe for the ibook to reach 65+ degrees on the bottom side of the gpu/cpu/psu becuase that is was tempature monitor is reporting
The hotter the better, I say. ;) Are you playing with her in bed? As long as you don't have her holes plugged up, she'll be ok. Keep her well ventilated and use cooling pads where possible.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
mad jew said:
FWIW, light computing should be absolutely fine on soft surfaces. I play with my iBook in bed (read into that as much as you like, you're probably wrong) and for simple surfing, email and Word usage, it's absolutely fine. The fans don't even come on.

I think a chopping board may get in the way of my fun...

I hope you remember to always use your iSkin?
:D

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
i think i might sue them cuz i got a burn on my private parts :p j/k i guess it wouldnt be covered

PS how come theres no mention of temp in the ibook manual

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
semaja2 said:
PS how come theres no mention of temp in the ibook manual
Most likely because all of that stuff is monitored automatically, putting in that information might confuse people.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Yeh yeh! That cat stole the thread! I'm sure that's against rules :p

Anyway... they are not called "Laptops" any more, but "notebooks" after that man sued for getting blisters on his penis!! (Don't worry folks, it was a Sony Vaio i think!)

There's no need to worry though, i use mine on my bed often, just remember to give it some air at some times... but this is no different than on any notebook. Oh also remember never to block, especially, the back fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.