Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kraftthomasj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Since the 8.1 update my iPhone 6 battery life has dramatically decreased. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I was so pleased with the battery life with 8.0.2, not WiFi though.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Can you provide a screenshots of your usage stats? I can compare them to mine for you.

MaxPayne79

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
yup. Plenty of people reporting this myself included. That's why i'm rocking the 8.1 beta 1 because it's the only iOS version that's unaffected.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Stats from yesterday before a recharge were:-

Usage about 4.5hrs
58% battery left
12hrs 53 mins total

caferacer808

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
My battery life has improved markedly since upgrading from 8.0.2. The first day was below average but that's to be expected, of course.

hernan1304

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
I was one of those who reported this issue and have now updated my post because it worked itself out. Give it a day, then restart the phone. Mine now works as before, and has great battery life.

kirkhuffy

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia
Loved my battery life on 8.0.2 and I'm not so much loving it on 8.1. Wish they could figure out how to not affect battery life with updates. It gets ridiculous.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Loved my battery life on 8.0.2 and I'm not so much loving it on 8.1. Wish they could figure out how to not affect battery life with updates. It gets ridiculous.

In most cases the problems when switching to a new iOS version are (as I had with my switch from iOS6 > iOS7):

- rogue app process (app not updated yet to iOS8/8.1) check Settings > General > Usage > Battery usage in percentage to determine which app is using much more battery although you haven't used it at all or much.

- settings in e-mail receiving is changed
- background app refresh (turn it off if you do not need it)
- location services (look carefully which apps you want to use this feature)
- notifications (look carefully which apps you want to use this feature)
- Facebook app

See also this great article about this.

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
It's a good idea to DL the app 'Battery Doctor'. It will let you optimize your RAM, free up space and display statistics. Use the app when charging... it alerts when complete. Many more features. There is also a quick boost app available to free up memory on the fly. All FREE!

Attachments

• IMG_5489.PNG
    IMG_5489.PNG
    273.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5488.PNG
    IMG_5488.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5487.PNG
    IMG_5487.PNG
    327.8 KB · Views: 117

Roikins

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
That is good app, I use it too. Only thing what's bothers me after the cleanup of memory, catche and junk files, like 10 min later I open it again and it shows me that I am low on memory again, and my phone was idle. How it fill up the memory that fast again?
I reduced background app refresh and location services to the minimum.

Greenstein

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I, too, am having horrible battery life on my iPhone 5S. I've never had battery issues, and even after a reset and iCloud backup, the phone is draining quickly with the phone not being used and sitting right next to the wifi router.

I'm not a heavy user of my phone but I would say that my battery is now draining 50% quicker than 8.0.2.

Hoping it just a software issue.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Out of curiosity... The guy in the Verge video demoing Apple Pay said that you do not need to open passbook or anything for Apple Pay to work. You just put the device near the payment device. Does this mean that the NFC is actively seeking a connection at all times? Since Apple Pay was activated with 8.1, does this perhaps mean that this could be causing worse battery life now?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Out of curiosity... The guy in the Verge video demoing Apple Pay said that you do not need to open passbook or anything for Apple Pay to work. You just put the device near the payment device. Does this mean that the NFC is actively seeking a connection at all times? Since Apple Pay was activated with 8.1, does this perhaps mean that this could be causing worse battery life now?

Only when you have your finger on the scanner.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
My wife got 5 hours usage and 24 hours standby. With around 35% battery left. iPhone 5s. I have the usual optimizations going like limited background app refresh an other stuff.

I recently bought three iPhones, all with IOS 7.1.2. But unfortunately when I was upgrading my wife's phone from the iTunes something happened and her phone was was put in a continuous loop. So, I had to put the phone in DFU mode and restored to the latest software. I was actually po'd because they were brand new, and I had NO say in the iOS version other than the latest. But all in all, my wife is actually pretty happy with iOS 8.1 and its new features ( and so am I). I will probably update the other two phones shortly, maybe this weekend.

dolacheck

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
The 15 hours usage is from October 6th, the other usage is from today on an iphone 6+. Big difference. Freakin sucks. I dont know what the issue is. I have done restarts and all, no change. Screw you 8.1!

Attachments

• image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    216.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3454.PNG
    IMG_3454.PNG
    237.6 KB · Views: 94

rodetrip

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
Since the 8.1 update my iPhone 6 battery life has dramatically decreased. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I was so pleased with the battery life with 8.0.2, not WiFi though.

i was experiencing the same thing with my iphone 6... i was having amazing battery life on the 8.0.2 then when i updated to 8.1, battery life got super worse! i gave it a couple of days to settle in and it was still pretty bad, so i took some advice and did a reset and set up as new, after that, its been wonderful! probably even better than what i was getting on 8.0.2

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
It's a good idea to DL the app 'Battery Doctor'. It will let you optimize your RAM, free up space and display statistics. Use the app when charging... it alerts when complete. Many more features. There is also a quick boost app available to free up memory on the fly. All FREE!

******** app that is pointless and for the gullible and foolish. I bet you also install the screen finger print readers and x-Ray apps too.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

Only when you have your finger on the scanner.

No and No. You can read about how NFC works and some are even powerless like in a credit card. Anyway you do not need to open passbook or unlock the device. simply hold it near the POS terminal and it will open up asking for fingerprint and BAM done. It should not be a cause of excessive battery drain.

I posted in other threads regarding battery but going from beta 2 to release I had a minor drain as well not bad but I could tell it was not like it used to be. After an iTunes restore all was great again. I let iTunes do it all, backup, restore firmware then restore my backup and back to awesome battery again. Pretty painless. Did have to add back in ApplePay card and add back wifi networks but over all it was worth it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
******** app that is pointless and for the gullible and foolish. I bet you also install the screen finger print readers and x-Ray apps too.
For battery, more than likely, for space, it seems like a number of people would free up some decent amounts of space with it at times, so I don't know.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
The 15 hours usage is from October 6th, the other usage is from today on an iphone 6+. Big difference. Freakin sucks. I dont know what the issue is. I have done restarts and all, no change. Screw you 8.1!

The issue here seems like you spent more time on Facebook, which is well known as a lagging battery pig. T

he battery life comes up as a topic with EVERY iOS update, and in my experience, the differences aren't huge when you're doing comparable things. The battery life with my 5s has always averaged around 5-6 hours, and with certain games, it might go down to 3 hours. If I have it in airplane mode or do other optimizations, then I've seen the battery life go over 9 hours.

geeshiet

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
8.1 and Battery Usage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414233299.720063.jpg

Wow this is ridiculous at 3hrs before 8.1 the battery percentage would usually be about 40+. This is absolutely insane, this ****** update messed up my damn battery. And you see that, that was the last 24 hrs, but onced I fully charged my phone and left it charging for quite a while and removed it all I was doing was pandora and playing a game but I was on pandora for a good 2 min then mainly played my game. This is crazy....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.