Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xanotos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Hi all.

I just got a used G3 600mhz ibook and it looks like crap! Outer case is really scratched up and when I tried to open the bottom section by turning that knob with a coin, thing popped off! I really like this notebook and was wondering where can I take it to have a new shell put on it. Does Apple do this?
I see they are cheap online, but after going to fixit website, was sort of scared opening it up and degutting it. I also noticed there is a bulge near the locking knob. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance,

David

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
If you could post a pic of the bottom to show exactly what you mean, that'd be helpful. Do you mean to say you turned the battery lock thingie, and the whole bottom case of the iBook fell off? Because that's... how do you say... bad.

Putting on a new one is really easy, if you buy one off of eBay or something like that. Since you apparently have the old one off already, the new one should just snap into place where the old one was. There are also two little screws in the battery compartment under the battery that you'll have to screw in, assuming they came with the iBook.

I don't know if Apple will be able to provide you with a new G3 case, but if you bring one in, I'm sure they'll replace it, but it'll probably cost an arm and a leg. Again, it really ain't that hard to put back on once it's off, so I would try that on my own first.

xanotos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
I'll take a picture when I get home. But the bulge is on the other side of the battery on the bottom section.
Well the whole bottom didn't come off. Only the locking knob came off.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Ok, from what I remember (I took apart some iBooks a while back), the knob is glued in there. I'm pretty sure. If you take the bottom case off, you should be able to glue it back in there.

Can anyone verify this? I'm preeeetty sure that's how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.