Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Congratz!

Thanks! Only problem ive had so far is i got a blue screen of death in windows while checking for windows updates while installing games and programs... Was a page-fault in a non-page area. I chalked it up to just too much crap for windows to handle all at one time lol, another possibility is thats a common BSOD when a stick of ram may be going bad.
Ill start worrying about it if it causes kernel panic in OSX or more BSOD's in windows.

So far im loving it, should get a few years out of it until i can save up for a 12-core mac pro :)

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Thanks! Only problem ive had so far is i got a blue screen of death in windows while checking for windows updates while installing games and programs... Was a page-fault in a non-page area. I chalked it up to just too much crap for windows to handle all at one time lol, another possibility is thats a common BSOD when a stick of ram may be going bad.
Ill start worrying about it if it causes kernel panic in OSX or more BSOD's in windows.

So far im loving it, should get a few years out of it until i can save up for a 12-core mac pro :)

By then maybe they will have invented a PWB Bender.

So you can fit your flat cards and components into the new curved design. :D

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Just want to post to say my build is still alive. It hasn't missed a beat and gets used every single day. No kernel panics, no BSODs in windows... I couldn't be happier :)

I still need to buy a 2008 front fan assembly and a 2008 cpu heatsink cover, I am waiting for the right deal to come by on ebay before I pop on such items that arnt a necessity.

:D:apple::D

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
A little update. Today I took my Mac Pro apart and swapped out the improperly fitting cpu cover for the correct one. Part number: 922-8527

Also dusted my computer while it was apart and installed my Silicon Image 2 port e-SATA card. Works great with the driver found from here:
http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=345&expand=&action=a3#a3
Driver is: Tempo SATA E2P, Tempo SATA Edge ExpressCard/34 and Tempo SATA ExpressCard/34 Driver (OS X 10.5+) 1.2.6

All is still well and dandy with my machine. Used every day from light web use to heavy video editing and photo editing. Hasn't missed a beat aside from the boot EFI getting screwed up in OSX once, but I blame that as a software problem and not any fault with my hardware. :)

Next update to come- another 10k raptor drive or perhaps an SSD for my bootcamp drive, and a Nvidia GTX 770 :)

macmannate

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I know this is an old thread, I was googling and saw this post.

I bought a fully working 1,3 dual 3 quad machine..

with a dead pus, tested with another 1,3 psu..

The question is, Ive got my old 1,1 twin 2.66 that has a brilliant power supply in it, that i want to swap out due the 32bit firm ware, will the 1,1 psu work in the 1,3?..

thanks.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
I know this is an old thread, I was googling and saw this post.

I bought a fully working 1,3 dual 3 quad machine..

with a dead pus, tested with another 1,3 psu..

The question is, Ive got my old 1,1 twin 2.66 that has a brilliant power supply in it, that i want to swap out due the 32bit firm ware, will the 1,1 psu work in the 1,3?..

thanks.

I had a 1,1 PSU powering my 3,1 machine. All you need beyond the 1,1 PSU is 3,1 power cables (like my new oem 3,1 case included) Should work just fine for you!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Just a question - Why do you keep calling a 3,1 Mac Pro a 1,3? It's confusing:eek:

Lou

macmannate

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
well, power supply and machine was flawless, update to yosemite... machines logic board kicked the bucket :( expensive that was.

Anggak

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2015
Sorry for bumped old thread. But I’m curious.

Since this is custom built machine, how the system handle/get the serial number? Normal pre-made machine built by apple have serial number and can check status like warranty, service support, etc, since thet serial number recorded directly to apple database.

I don’t know how serial number generated from custom DIY machine. But likely is based on current hardware identification inside those machine like logic board, processor tray, cpu, etc. Since only old tower mac pro which is possible build from scratch by user, after they build done and run OSX, how apple identified those machine?

But for custom built-machine, how apple handle this DIY mac pro? Is the serial number listed in checkcoverage.apple.com?

EDIT :

Discovered myself, the custom build machine doesnt have any serial. I’m visit a friend who has several death mac pro and pulled working parts from them and build a working one, but using new logic board. The machine only shows Systemserial or something like that, they need genuine serial to be burned into new logicboard using unofficial tool called blank board serializer.

Last edited:

freakqnc

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
Gotta love internet... still find old threads like this super useful! :) Thanks for keeping it up and sharing. Overdue congrats on the build by the way. Just looking for a quick confirmation by someone who could give it (or say that it's not possible?)... can a mac pro 3,1 motherboard be swapped into a mac pro 1,1 or 2,1? Would anything need to be modified or would all connectors, cards, etc from 1,1 or 2,1 work fine on the 3,1 motherboard? Thank you in advance for any info and tips... much appreciated :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.