Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DwightKincaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
So on my macbook air, I tried to update my password. Apparently I hit a wrong key, now I have no idea what my password is. So I can't update my flash player (Adobe), or anything else that requires me to enter the password that I now do not know. Any suggestions? This is not a stolen laptop, I purchased it new, have the receipt, just for those who want to make accusations. I just screwed up on the password.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
This is really a non issue. Just get a portable HDD, copy every file you need onto it. Format your pc, reinstall your OS X and you're good to go...

Although it's beyond me how you mucked up your password twice when entering in your new password.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Although it's beyond me how you mucked up your password twice when entering in your new password.

It's possible; I often transpose M and N when typing so it's not impossible to make the same mistake twice in a row when entering a password. Indeed I have set an incorrect password myself.

As for the actual issue, I believe that it's possible to reset a password by booting into recovery (hold Option at the boot chime).

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
As for the actual issue, I believe that it's possible to reset a password by booting into recovery (hold Option at the boot chime).

Yes do this. That is the best option! I forgot about that.

I am waiting for the day when macs have an iCloud lockout feature.I know you can lock your laptop remotely...But I am suggesting a full 'iCloud lock'...That would make mac safety excellent.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So on my macbook air, I tried to update my password. Apparently I hit a wrong key, now I have no idea what my password is. So I can't update my flash player (Adobe), or anything else that requires me to enter the password that I now do not know. Any suggestions? This is not a stolen laptop, I purchased it new, have the receipt, just for those who want to make accusations. I just screwed up on the password.

Just follow this guide to reset the password.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
What is that?

You can remote lock a mac. But if you want to format it and start over, you can still do that even when it is remote locked.

The same can not be done when an iPhone/pad is iCloud locked. Thats what I would like to see implemented on macs...

DwightKincaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2014
Thanks everyone

Thank you for the help. Holding the option down on restart worked fine. How I screwed it up when I had to enter the password twice is beyond me, but I was real tired of not being able to update my flash player, among other things. That problem is now solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.