Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am currently using iCloud, considering the recent leak, I wanna find a more safe cloud space like Flickr, Imgur...Or just keep it in my PC.

The issue with the leak is that people used poor passwords that were easier to guess.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
The issue with the leak is that people used poor passwords that were easier to guess.

and/or security questions, the answers to which are public record.

Best technique with security questions is to lie, consistently - after all you only need to know how to answer the question - the answer doesn't have to be accurate, just consistent and memorable.

For example I use a well-known celebrity name for the answer to all mine, "first car", "best teacher", "first high school" - all of them have the same, unrelated-to-any-question answer...

The chances of anyone guessing these "answers" is frankly zero....

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I got office 365 student, 85 dollars for 4 years of office plus 1tb of free storage on OneDrive (SkyDrive), I have been using that ever since. Also Flickr gives 1tb for photo storage and you can sync camera roll from iPhone just like dropbox does.

If Dropbox offered more space for free users besides 5gb I would be more inclined to pay premium, but the competition offers better.

Bezbozny

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
The problem with these (at least last time that I checked) was that the mac desktop application was not translated in english

Grassrootz

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
I am currently using iCloud, considering the recent leak, I wanna find a more safe cloud space like Flickr, Imgur...Or just keep it in my PC.

If you care about the security of your data you will need to look for a cloud service that offers encryption. Most all of the services mentioned in this thread are your files sitting on a server wide open for anyone to browse. Theoretically any employee or government agency could look at your data not to mention hackers. If you care about privacy look for encryption on the server not just during the transmission.

Spideroak is an option

You could also setup your own free personal private cloud using Tonido then back that system up securely with a service such as Crashplan which uses encryption where only you hold the key and unlimited backup for $5/mo.

Last edited:

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
I got OneDrive with Office365 and now don't use SugarSync or Dropbox. OneDrive gives you 1TB of storage with the purchase of Office365--and I found it for about $68. Great deal! Works flawlessly for me.

Now if I could only get them to update Office for Mac...

(But I do like that I can use it now on my iPad!)

utahsteve

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Is Dropbox the best solution

A new member to this forum, and I appreciate the information that is available. I have an unusual set of circumstances that I'm hoping someone here can help me come up with a solution.

I'm considering using Dropbox for a car rally. . .probably 50-70 entrants. . .they will be required to take photos of different locations to earn points. . .my thought is to have them take the photos with their smartphones and with the use of Dropbox, send the photos back to the scoring computer as soon as they take them. My initial thought is that each car would have their own folder, password protected, that they would upload their photos too. Obviously the scoring computer would have access to all folders.

So is this doable? Is it worth pursuing? Or should I just go back and drink another beer or six? Thanks to all the minds that will offer assistance.

Steve

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
A new member to this forum, and I appreciate the information that is available. I have an unusual set of circumstances that I'm hoping someone here can help me come up with a solution.

I'm considering using Dropbox for a car rally. . .probably 50-70 entrants. . .they will be required to take photos of different locations to earn points. . .my thought is to have them take the photos with their smartphones and with the use of Dropbox, send the photos back to the scoring computer as soon as they take them. My initial thought is that each car would have their own folder, password protected, that they would upload their photos too. Obviously the scoring computer would have access to all folders.

So is this doable? Is it worth pursuing? Or should I just go back and drink another beer or six? Thanks to all the minds that will offer assistance.

Steve

That is doable.

utahsteve

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
RE: Is Dropbox the best solution

Thank you BGG!

I have been able to get anyone from Dropbox to respond to my inquiry as to approximate cost, so I'm still up in the air as to if I'm going to pursue this or not. With that many users, I'm guessing it's going to be expensive, but it sure would speed up the scoring process.

utahsteve

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014

My previous post should have read I have NOT been able to get a response back from Dropbox in regard to cost for that many users.

Fat fingers. . .

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Thank you BGG!

I have been able to get anyone from Dropbox to respond to my inquiry as to approximate cost, so I'm still up in the air as to if I'm going to pursue this or not. With that many users, I'm guessing it's going to be expensive, but it sure would speed up the scoring process.
You could have this paid service much cheaper from hubiC.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Why not have them email the photos into one email account, you can have a folder for each car and use rules to sort emails from each car into the right folders...

utahsteve

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014

Thanks simonsi. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that what I'm proposing with Dropbox?

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say have "rules" sort out the photos. Because they are taking photos of specific items and not their car, two different photos from two different teams could look very similar.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Thanks simonsi. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that what I'm proposing with Dropbox?

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say have "rules" sort out the photos. Because they are taking photos of specific items and not their car, two different photos from two different teams could look very similar.

To use Dropbox in that way you would need them all to download the Dropbox App and setup shared folders etc etc.

Much easier IMHO to have them email the pictures to you but as they will be using the same email address from each car you can use rules to file each email from the same car in the same folder, these rules are filters on your email client on your "scoring" computer. If the rules are not easy, it will be simple to file the emails and pictures by car as they will be from the same email address - which you can ask for in advance (get them to put "Car XXX" in the title as well).

It achieves the same (pictures from each car filed together, grouped by car. But it has the advantages of not needing any special setup at all, and being free. It also means they can email it and leave their phone to send it to you, not having to wait while they upload each photo.....

Assume 3G covers the whole rally route/area???

utahsteve

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to explain your answer to me. . .I appreciate it very much.

Your suggestion makes good sense, and like you said, it's also much easier.

Steve

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Thank you for taking the time to explain your answer to me. . .I appreciate it very much.

Your suggestion makes good sense, and like you said, it's also much easier.

Steve

No problem, I club rallied 25yrs ago and it was fun thinking how I would use technology if doing it now :)

utahsteve

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Technology certainly makes scoring faster and more accurate to be sure, but I'm always looking for new ways to further simplify the process even more.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've been a huge user of OneDrive for months, but I'm having issues lately.

Maybe it's the Office for iOS apps and not OD, but I keep having files and folders vanish and randomly reappearing and one time a document I was working with just disappeared and I went to OneDrive's website and it was gone there too!! It just reappeared on my iPhone and said "corrupt" but then opened anyway :/.

It's been really flaky for about 2 weeks and it's getting on my nerves.

Now that office works with Dropbox I may switch back and see if these issues persist.

----------

I know you use OneDrive, have you had any of the above issues with Office for iOS?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know you use OneDrive, have you had any of the above issues with Office for iOS?
Generally no, but I incurred an odd issue last week while on vacation in DisneyWorld.

I kept my itinerary, and reservation information on a spreadsheet and then I'd pull that up on my iPad or my iPhone. On a number of occasions, it had trouble authenticating and listing the contents of my OneDrive.

To be more specific, I had to re-sign in, even though I already was, and once there, it kept trying to refresh the list of documents on my onedrive, but would not stop, i.e., seemed to be stuck in an endless cycle. I could cancel it and then open my Disney spreadsheet but it was a bit annoying.

I've not had a problem since then, so I wonder if it was related to the public wifi I tended to be on while being in DW

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I've not had a problem since then, so I wonder if it was related to the public wifi I tended to be on while being in DW

Thank you. That's very intersting becuase I have these issues when I'm on my university's encrypted network, I rarely use iOS Office at home.

Still, if that's the case I don't feel a cloud storage service should have these issues.

richard.laay

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2016
US
Dropbox is best for cloud storage, it is very good source of data storage over the cloud and provide large space to upload data. once you get it, you keep increasing your storage time to time.

Last edited:

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
I have a problem with OneDrive at times NOT syncing things from my iMac. To get it to function properly I have to quit it and restart it, then it will sync....usually. There have been times when I've had to restart my iMac too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.