Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
SF last out hero Sandoval to Red Sox or Yankees?

KC hero Ventura (10-0 game 6) to Giants?

Those are the two rumors I heard on local SF news as "possibilities". I hope SF could retain Sandoval and I think we could replace one of our old guys with someone like Ventura or similar young pitcher.

I don't know the fate of SF's Lincecum, Vogelsong, Hudson, or Peavy on the 2015 Giants.

Also Peavy to Cubs, or KC's starting pitcher Shields to Cubs? Jon Lester to Cubs?

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2014/10...-pursue-jon-lester-jake-peavy-in-package-deal

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Ventura would be an amazing acquisition. Not sure why the Royals would sell, or that the Giants have the trade chips to entice them.

Lincecum and Hudson are under contract for one more year. Peavy and Vogelsong are free agents. I think Vogey's time is done. You could make a good case both pro and con for Peavy. If he leaves, the rotation would look like:

Bumgarner
Cain
Hudson
Lincecum?
Petit?

Wonder what other free agent options are realistic: presumably Scherzer and Lester are out of reach.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Ventura would be an amazing acquisition. Not sure why the Royals would sell, or that the Giants have the trade chips to entice them.

Lincecum and Hudson are under contract for one more year. Peavy and Vogelsong are free agents. I think Vogey's time is done. You could make a good case both pro and con for Peavy. If he leaves, the rotation would look like:

Bumgarner
Cain
Hudson
Lincecum?
Petit?

Wonder what other free agent options are realistic: presumably Scherzer and Lester are out of reach.

My guess is that there's somebody potentially amazing, ie home run hitter type like Pujols that we have in our system, and Kansas City has been talking with the SF front office on that one. That's what some are guessing but nobody knows for sure. KC has everything except that huge hitter and could you imagine their small ball success with an added big hitter? I don't know who but with a few pitchers over age 30, we could sorely use a Ventura to keep us competitive.

What if we had on rotation:

1) Bumgarner (3.06 ERA, age 25)
2) Ventura ??? (3.22 age 23)
3) Cain (3.39 age 30)
4) Lincecum (3.59 age 30)
5) Petit (4.76 age 29)

At third base if we don't have Sandoval then I can't imagine who would go in there as a big hitter to replace him. I am assuming Sandoval will go to Boston or New York Yankees and guessing what he could make I don't blame him. Since Ishikawa is just too green at the outfield, maybe he could move up to third base.

At bat, what if we had (in no order):

Pence
Pagan
Blanco, outfielders

Ishikawa ??? (3rd)
Crawford (SS)
Panik or Scutaro (2nd)
Belt (1st)
Posey (catcher)

What I want is for baseball to put our new dynasty up there with others. We are #4 on list following the three great Yankee five year dynasties in http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/100058596/baseball-dynasties-ranking-giants-yankees

The best one was the Yogi Berra 1950s Yankees who went five for five. But then there's the second best one with the Jeter era team who were four for five. Also four for five and in third place for dynasties were the 1930s Murderer's row team with Babe Ruth.

While we can't surpass those Yankee teams of the past in this current run, what we could do is put together at least one back to back with our current crew like those other three did. In order to win next year, we need to be healthy and imho get a young ace pitcher. Being unable to reach the postseason back to back is the glaring omission in our quest to be truly considered a top contender. Back to back proves a certain dominance and not doing so has made the oddsmakers give us bad odds at the beginning of each season. We are seen as an every other year fluke instead of a serious team like the Yankees or Dodgers or Cardinals. We are 12/1 while Dodgers are a much better 15/2 for 2015 and were considered even worse in previous years.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No surprise there. Major stadium renovations and another promise of good times ahead. At some point they have to come true for those fans. Hopefully they can start to throw money into some talent.

We're quite impatient after 100+ years. The team looks like it's built to win within the next couple of seasons, but the Cubs still have a ways to go.

Maddon is a great move

----------

Also Peavy to Cubs, or KC's starting pitcher Shields to Cubs? Jon Lester to Cubs?[/url]

Lester - Meh
Shields - Sure
Peavy - NO. Peavy is what we call bad. He's really bad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Baseball people sure are pissed off that Maddon went for the Cubs job while Renteria was still holding it. I don't have a problem with it, but ESPN was trying to make more out of it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Typical ESPN. This is a fantastic move.

You can't knock a person for trying to improve his position, and you can't knock a team to do all it can to win a world series. I didn't shed a tear for Renteria, he's getting paid not to work right now, its not like he'll be hurting for money.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You can't knock a person for trying to improve his position, and you can't knock a team to do all it can to win a world series. I didn't shed a tear for Renteria, he's getting paid not to work right now, its not like he'll be hurting for money.

Agreed. Also, it's not like he did a poor job in Chicago, either. Most close to the situation said Epstein was actually quite pleased with Renteria, but you cannot turn down the opportunity to get a guy like Joe Maddon. I applaud Epstein et al for having the gaul to make this move. They're closer to a World Series for it.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
We're quite impatient after 100+ years. The team looks like it's built to win within the next couple of seasons, but the Cubs still have a ways to go.

So you're a White Sox AND Cubs fan? Gross.

Red Sox need pitching and lots of it. I would love to have Lester and Miller back. Also would be nice to see a trade of some prospects for a front line starter, we have a plethora of positional players now.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Travis Ishikawa throws left-handed. Definitely not a third baseman in the making. He's also over 30 years old, definitely not a prospect anymore.

The internal alternatives for third base for the Giants would appear to be Adam Duvall (needs more experience), perhaps Matt "Duffman" Duffy (more of a middle infielder in terms of hitting prowess, but could become perhaps a Billy Mueller type), or Joaquin Arias (definitely won't hit enough to be a good starter).

The other free agent 3Bs on the market are Chase Headley (numbers have fallen off a cliff) and Hanley Ramirez (really, really hate his attitude, but a good hitter). Sandoval is younger and better than both those guys.

Wish I knew who this mysterious, Pujols-like power hitter in the Giants' farm system was!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So you didn't think we would go the whole off season without some A-Rod news did you?
According to documents filed last week in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, in June of 2013, Rodriguez paid nearly $1 million to his cousin, Yuri Sucart, in exchange for Sucart's silence regarding A-Rod's illegal PED use. In August of that year, Rodriguez was suspended for 211 games for his involvement in the Biogenesis drug scandal that resulted in the suspensions of 13 other Major League players as well. Rodriguez' suspension was upheld on appeal in January, but its length was reduced to the entire 2014 season, an unprecedented punishment for a drug offense by a U.S. professional sports league.
According to the court filing, Sucart's former attorney, Jeffrey Sonn, demanded $5 million on behalf of Sucart, who Rodriguez identified as a supplier of illegal PEDs for him when Rodriguez was exposed as a steroid user in a 2009 Sports Illustrated story. The filing says Rodriguez entered into a confidential settlement with Sucart on June 5, 2013, paying his cousin one payment of $700,000 for his silence, followed by three more payments that totaled $200,000.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...aid-cousin-exchange-silence-regarding-ped-use
I really wish this fool would just go away. I doubt he has anything left in the tank. And no amount of roids will help at this point.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
As long as the Yankees are stuck with A-Rod, then they have a third baseman. That's one fewer team to throw mad money at Pablo Sandoval.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Robertson seeks 'Papelbon money'

New York Yankees free-agent closer David Robertson turned down the chance to have the highest closer salary for one season in baseball history. Now he has his eyes on the largest contract ever given to a reliever.

Robertson is looking for "Papelbon money" in initial talks with teams, a baseball official with knowledge of the discussions told ESPNNewYork.com.

If Robertson and his agent, Scott Leventhal, can persuade one team to offer "Papelbon money," it is doubtful the Yankees would match. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is not a big believer in paying relievers not named Mariano Rivera such large amounts on a multiyear deal.

Rivera earned the largest reliever salary for one season when he made $15 million on four different occasions toward the end of his career.

Robertson could have snatched that title from the man he replaced if he had accepted a $15.3 million qualifying offer earlier this week. He declined, which means the Yankees would receive a draft pick as compensation if he leaves.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...york-yankees-seeks-papelbon-money-free-agency

How did that work out for the Phillies.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
As long as the Yankees are stuck with A-Rod, then they have a third baseman. That's one fewer team to throw mad money at Pablo Sandoval.

If not that former dynasty, there's always the current AL dynasty called the Boston Red Sox who can buy him. Losing Pablo would be a big blow to San Francisco. Pablo is the closest thing to a steady key player we had on all three World Series teams. The Yankees had the core four (all working to full potential) and the Red Sox definitely had David Ortiz. Over in SF we had Lincecum, Renteria, and Cain be our key guys in 2010, Posey in '10 and '12, Zito in '12, and Pence in '12 and '14, and Bumgarner in '14. But every time our Panda was there and it's hard to think of an SF dynasty without him.

Sandoval can get paid more than 6.7 million from many, many teams who could capitalize on his good defense and solid hitting. Cardinals, Reds, Nationals, A's, Angels, Rangers, Mariners, Rays, Mets and many others would also love a guy like Pablo.

If Pablo remains with the Giants it's the best chance we have in doing better than just every other year into postseason and get a back to back postseason ticket. The Cardinals, A's, Detroit, and Texas (and others) have done at least back to backs into postseason in recent years so why can't SF? I don't want to wait until 2016 to go at least 87-75, or 88-74. With Sandoval and crew I can see at least making wild card for 2015 season if we stay intact and healthy. That would also assume Lincecum and Cain get back to old form and see Scutaro and Pagan get back on healthy roster. We have to be strong at least two deep on depth chart on every position.

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The Rockies lose Michael Cuddyear to the Mets. This is a big loss for the Rockies.:(

and yet Mets fans are somewhat up in arms about it, or are at least indifferent. As a Mets fan, I'd like to see a good bat in the lineup but it may come at the cost of moving a promising outfielder (Kirk N. or Matt denDekker) since they won't get the playing time they need if they were to be in the Majors all season.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Kershaw gets 3rd Cy Young and this is great for his legacy of one of the great Dodger pitchers of all time, but it will put pressure on him with those stats to add a World Series ring.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Marlins Contract

Any thoughts on the guaranteed 13 year $325 million dollar contract extension the Marlins gave Giancarlo Stanton ? I'm not familiar with him since I only follow the American league.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Any thoughts on the guaranteed 13 year $325 million dollar contract extension the Marlins gave Giancarlo Stanton ? I'm not familiar with him since I only follow the American league.

He is a monster. But 13 years is way too long. And the Marlins have a history of signing these big deals and then dumping them on other teams.

I think he has a full no-trade as well, which will handcuff them later on.

I'm also shocked at Russell Martin's new deal with the Blue Jays. It's back loaded, but in the last 3 years he's getting $15 million, $20 million, and $20 million.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.