Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

567467812d72668af05903447eca0741766487c5-250x310.jpg
Popular Apple accessory company Twelve South today introduced a new addition to its line of SurfacePad cases, the SurfacePad for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The leather case is designed for ultimate portability, with an ultra thin folding design and the ability to transform into a hands-free display stand.

The SurfacePad case attaches to the back of the iPhone using the company's "SurfaceGrip technology", which Twelve South claims to allow the removal and reattachment of the case repeatedly.

With two separate slots for credit cards in the front cover, the case bills itself as a companion of sorts to Apple's new Apple Pay feature.
The inside front cover of SurfacePad for iPhone 6 has two slots for cards. Thanks to Apple Pay and Passbook, you can keep your bank cards and tickets on your iPhone and your ID and transit cards in your SurfacePad. Or simply use the slots for an occasional night on the town with your ID and Bank Card. SurfacePad's two card slots are the perfect complement to your new lighter Apple Pay world.

Fun new features and the big, beautiful Retina HD display give you so many reasons to use iPhone 6 hands-free, that a case without a stand is not an option anymore. Fortunately, SurfacePad's built-in stand is perfect for watching movies, hanging out with friends on FaceTime, and taking timed group photos. Flex the back of SurfacePad to put iPhone into display mode, and you'll be ready for hands-free selfies, watching game highlights at the bar or catching a TED Talk in your favorite coffee shop.
The SurfacePad for iPhone 6 is the latest iteration in a long line of SurfacePad cases for Apple products. The company announced a case for the iPad Mini earlier in the year, and already makes cases for older model iPhones and MacBooks.

SurfacePad for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus is available in Black, Red, White, and Camel. It can be purchased on the Twelve South website at $39.99 for the iPhone 6 model and $49.99 for the iPhone 6 Plus.

Article Link: Twelve South Launches SurfacePad Case for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Having had this for my 5S I couldn't wait for the 6 version. Is not really for protection though, more for the look of it.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
From the Amazon reviews on the 5/5S version, it looks like it is cheaply made. Unsure if they fixed the quality issues or not. If someone buys this, please let us know. I'm hesitant to buy until I hear if the issues are fixed.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Cute idea, but no protection for the phone, really. If they upgrade it with some form of edge protection, then maybe I would be interested. Looks like a beta fashion accessory more than anything else to me.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
So how does this differ from the (very very nice) Bella Fino from Pad & Quill? http://www.padandquill.com/bella-fino-for-iphone-6-plus.html

Seems something of a copycat to me, with fewer slots and less edge protection (though the Bella Fino lacks protection at one corner too).

My first BookBook case from 12 South held up admirably; my second fell apart quickly. Both provided good protection, though I've never been fond of the cutesie "book" styling and would hope for an alternative that is as functional but not too bulky (which is the rap on Pad & Quill's other offerings, which encase the phone in a very beautiful but size-increasing wooden cradle).

Suggestions from the community would be welcome... My requirements are:

o Edge and corner protection for the phone
o Wallet functionality (pockets for cards & bills)
o Screen protection... i.e., a flap that covers the screen to prevent damage and for privacy
o Leather (the real thing, no "PU" crap) or other quality material
o Robust construction
o Not too bulky
o Classy looks

The Bella Fino would be perfect were it not for the camera-corner vulnerability. This new 12 South case lacks edge protection all around.

Sigh.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Cute idea, but no protection for the phone, really. If they upgrade it with some form of edge protection, then maybe I would be interested. Looks like a beta fashion accessory more than anything else to me.

It's not really for "protection", I see plenty of people use their phone naked and don't really give a damn if it's damaged.

Not everyone is neurotic about protecting their phone... I'm not one of those people... :confused:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I've yet to find somewhere to use Apple Pay

try starbucks, mcdonalds, walgreens, or whole foods. if none of those exist near you, try relocating.

----------

So it is that easy to bribe this website to advertise stuff.

how is a product PR release a "bribe"? what thing of value is MR receiving in order to publish it? nothing. hits are generated, but thats a side effect of publishing a news blip on a popular accessory company, not a bribe.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So it is that easy to bribe this website to advertise stuff.

I think you're misusing the word bribe here. In fact, I am certain.

The case is okay but I actually do wonder about the cards hitting the screen all of the time. Also, I need one more slot. I would still carry my bank card, license, and one credit card on me.

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
So how does this differ from the (very very nice) Bella Fino from Pad & Quill? http://www.padandquill.com/bella-fino-for-iphone-6-plus.html

Seems something of a copycat to me, with fewer slots and less edge protection (though the Bella Fino lacks protection at one corner too).

My first BookBook case from 12 South held up admirably; my second fell apart quickly. Both provided good protection, though I've never been fond of the cutesie "book" styling and would hope for an alternative that is as functional but not too bulky (which is the rap on Pad & Quill's other offerings, which encase the phone in a very beautiful but size-increasing wooden cradle).

Suggestions from the community would be welcome... My requirements are:

o Edge and corner protection for the phone
o Wallet functionality (pockets for cards & bills)
o Screen protection... i.e., a flap that covers the screen to prevent damage and for privacy
o Leather (the real thing, no "PU" crap) or other quality material
o Robust construction
o Not too bulky
o Classy looks

The Bella Fino would be perfect were it not for the camera-corner vulnerability. This new 12 South case lacks edge protection all around.

Sigh.
I recently bought this case:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NHYBOQ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using it for the last 2 weeks and I love it. It's made from real leather and has slots for 3 cards. The only drawback is that it took about a month to ship from Italy. It's a little bulkier than my old Book Book or the last cheap wallet phone I bought on Amazon, but maybe that's just because the phone is so much larger. The construction is pretty sturdy too. If you don't mind waiting for it to ship, I highly recommend it.

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
I've yet to find somewhere to use Apple Pay

It's going to be a while before it's widely available. I use it at Petco but if you don't have pets you probably don't go there often. Panera has Apple Pay support, along with tasty food! Cheap places like McDonalds and Subway also. Walgreens seem to be everywhere nowadays. I actually shopped at CVS before Apple Pay but have decided to switch to Walgreens instead. Same stuff, similar prices. I use it at Wegmans too but I think they're an East Coast grocery store, not sure where you live.

A good way to find other places (Beyond the "official" Apple Pay stores) is to download the MasterCard Nearby app, it shows locations on a map that support NFC payments.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Until I can store my government-issued ID on my phone and or use Apple Pay to directly send someone small amounts of cash, I'll still need a wallet. It would also be nice to use TouchID to unlock my car and my house so I don't have to carry keys. But considering that there are still a few places left that only take cash, and also vending machines and other things, I think my wallet probably isn't going anywhere for the next several years. Not even to mention the lack of NFC terminals in the US. Replacing keys is also tricky because I still have an office key, building key, mailbox key, and hell, even a key to get into the printer room.

Anyway, at least my wallet *should* get thinner over time, and with the iPhone getting so thin, maybe a wallet case is the way to go in the future.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Per the usual, slow relevant iNews. Time to make easy money for tacky ads in the front page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.