Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
I tried to pair my iPod touch 4g last night with my new Chevy Impala's bluetooth. The iPod search wasn't able to find my car. But my cheapo Virgin Mobile cellphone found my car's bluetooth no problem. So I know it's not the car. Should the iPod touch be able to pair with a car audio system for audio playback, or is there something I'm missing?

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
my ipod touch connects perfectly over bluetooth to my toyota sienna so it does work. Maybe try it again? Bluetooth can be kind of finicky at times so the only thing you can do is to repeatedly try it. Make sure the car bluetooth is in discoverable mode.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
my ipod touch connects perfectly over bluetooth to my toyota sienna so it does work. Maybe try it again? Bluetooth can be kind of finicky at times so the only thing you can do is to repeatedly try it. Make sure the car bluetooth is in discoverable mode.

Thanks for the reply. Strange though, because I tried many times that night. My wife also has a 4g touch, so maybe I'll try hers to determine if there's a problem with my touch's bluetooth.

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
Similar problem...

My ipod touch sees my new 2010 Toyota Rav4 bluetooth, but it won't accept the code needed for pairing. It comes back as being invalid. Any suggestions???

lanulos

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Maybe its your car, not the ipod. Maybe the Impala bluetooth only supports the phone protocols and not the audio playback protocol. Most bluetooth devices only support a subset of protocols, sometimes a very small subset.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Maybe its your car, not the ipod. Maybe the Impala bluetooth only supports the phone protocols and not the audio playback protocol. Most bluetooth devices only support a subset of protocols, sometimes a very small subset.

Very helpful information. Thanks. I think this is probably most likely the case. I tried for kicks to connect my MacBook Pro to my car as well, and although the MacBook was able to see the car, it couldn't successfully connect. So maybe it's phone protocol only, because my cellphone connected very quickly, very easily, with little to no effort.

ToffelLouis

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Bandung, Indonesia
similar problem....

yup, i got the same problem with you man.
i tried to pairing my iPod 3th gen to my Toyota Avanza car....
both neither don't found each other devices.. i tried to paired it with my Sony Xperia L, and it's work just fine... :confused:

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
yup, i got the same problem with you man.
i tried to pairing my iPod 3th gen to my Toyota Avanza car....
both neither don't found each other devices.. i tried to paired it with my Sony Xperia L, and it's work just fine... :confused:

Toyota/Lexus have the worst Bluetooth implementations ever. I wouldn't blame Apple for this one. Try deleting all profiles on car and iPod first though before giving up. Then just get a BTC450 which solves all problems.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I bought something similar to this off eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-USB-B...luetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3ce7151f4e

Just search for Bluetooth Receiver USB or something like that and you'll find lots of options.

I have a BMW and for me my phone would pair fine, but the regular audio out doesn't. Seems BMW only supports the phone protocol. But my arm rest contains a USB power source (either USB port directly or buy a lighter socket to USB power plug) and has an Aux In jack. So by plugging this dongle into the power and connecting it to the Aux In, I'm able to set my radio on Aux and play music/audio from my iPhone through the radio. My iPhone actually sets up 2 Bluetooth connections...one for the Phone directly to the car, and another from the Phone to the dongle for regular audio. Surely your iPod would pair just fine with this dongle, if you have a way to connect it to your car's sound/power system.

These also work great in the house for hooking up to a normal sound system. Just use a spare USB charger to power it and connect the Aux Out from the dongle to the Aux In of your sound system.

p27415

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014
similar issue with motorola headset

my iphone6 was not able to see my motorola S10-HD headset, until I was able to flush the data from the headset.

a simple reset of the headset did NOT work.

I had to trigger it to flush all data related to prior binding with my iphone5.

Only then could iphone6 see the headset and successfully bind with it.

to trigger the flush of the data in the headset, while the unit was powered up i held the + button and the pwr button at the same time and then the status light went blue.

then pwr cycled the headset one more time, it came up again with blue status light indicating ready to bind. At that point i turned on bluetooth on iphone6 and was able to bind with the headset.

So if there is a way to flush the data from the car, i definitely would be looking for that sequence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.