Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
If anyone has one of the new 2 or 2.3 Ghz dual-core G5s, can you check what temperature they are running at when you aren't doing anything heavy (idling, Safari, Mail, etc.)? You can use a program like X Resource Graph to check the ambient, die and heatsink temps. I'm trying to gauge how hot/cool they are running compared to my dual 2Ghz G5. Older single-core G5s need not apply. ;) Also, please post your approximate room temperature as well.

Edit: changed abient to ambient. ;)

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
My Dual Core 2.3 GHz is running at 100 F on CPU A and 101 on CPU B. My room temp is around 68 to 70F. Graphics CPU is 122 F. They get about as hot at the iMac G5's. I've seen mine as high as 150 when pushing it really hard. I have a slight hum from the fans, so its not an annoying wind tunnel sound coming from the fans.

Right now I'm just doing general stuff...Safari, iChat, Mail, and RapidWeaver. Nothing CPU intensive currently.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 103

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
mklos said:
My Dual Core 2.3 GHz is running at 100 F on CPU A and 101 on CPU B. My room temp is around 68 to 70F. Graphics CPU is 122 F. They get about as hot at the iMac G5's. I've seen mine as high as 150 when pushing it really hard. I have a slight hum from the fans, so its not an annoying wind tunnel sound coming from the fans.

Right now I'm just doing general stuff...Safari, iChat, Mail, and RapidWeaver. Nothing CPU intensive currently.

I was just about to say DAMN, THAT'S COOL because mine is running at 139F right now but then I realized I was encoding some eyeTV video. Have to check it when its done doing that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.