Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nspace

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I have a powerbook g4 thats about a year and a half old, 1.5 ghz, and ever since I got it, I have found the airport to be extremely weak.

I have been in locations with lots of other pc users, and also mac users (using the exact same laptop), and they all have strong signals etc, and mine is always weak. I have even had in alot of cases where friends on powerbooks will pick up like 4 or 5 different access points on the airport menu, and I will have like 2.

Add this to the list of problems I have had including white spots on my screen, dead pixel on the replacement screen, and the screen hinge that creeks like crazy.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this would be appreciated.

Tom

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
I know that on the old Titanium PB G4s, the signal was weak because it couldn't get through the metal shell of the laptop. My new 12" PB has some rubber spots on the side of the screen where the antennas are, and that helps signal strength. You might want to check your antenna wire that plugs into the airport card and make sure that it's secure. If possible (and I'm not sure on these new ones) you might want to try taking it out and plugging it back in. Or, it could have been a defect in the card or antennas from the factory.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Nspace said:
I have a powerbook g4 thats about a year and a half old, 1.5 ghz, and ever since I got it, I have found the airport to be extremely weak.

I have been in locations with lots of other pc users, and also mac users (using the exact same laptop), and they all have strong signals etc, and mine is always weak. I have even had in alot of cases where friends on powerbooks will pick up like 4 or 5 different access points on the airport menu, and I will have like 2.

Add this to the list of problems I have had including white spots on my screen, dead pixel on the replacement screen, and the screen hinge that creeks like crazy.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this would be appreciated.

Tom

The fact that other PB users in the same spots are getting a stronger signal is interesting and is the apparent clue that there might be an actual issue with your laptop versus other of the same type. I would have a service person check it out.

My PB 15" 1.5" is of older vintage (May 2004) is a little picky with signals. It led me to get an extra express unit for my house b/c the base station wasn't doing enough of a job by itself to get the signal far / strong enough for it. I've noted that if I turn it one way in the living room it has a much stronger signal than if it is turned another - things like that. My think pad seems to do a little better with its build in wi-fi, but it's not at all a significant difference.

Good luck getting the issue resolved.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Alot of people have problems with Airport signal on PowerBooks, it's a known problem. Don't bother calling Apple, they'll just say you need to reformat the hard drive and put Tiger back on. If you really want some one good, say you've already done that. Because 90-95% of the time, reformatting won't do ****. ;)

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Your hinge creaks too? Haha I thought that was only mine. It worried me the first time I got it but I'm fine with it now.

As for your weak airport signal it's a known issue. Hell, I'll be sitting at the table next to my wireless router and I'll sometimes only have three bars. I've had many occassions where it really seems like the signal should be much stronger. Not to mention that since my signal never gets past like 60% I can't really play anything online with it because I'll ping around 150.

Nspace

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Yeah its weird. My friend gets this local connection as does everyone else in his aprtment from this local pub. He gets a realtively strong signal too, like 3 bars. It won't even appear on my list. Whats really annoying is that in the computer labs at my university, the signal is always really weak and I have trouble grabbing my files off my server that I need for class because I keep loosing the connection where as other people can connect fine. My friends 12" powerbook which was purchased at the same time as mine gets a much stronger signal.

Its so frustrating and I am starting to wonder about this wire that connects to the antennas too.

Yeah the hinge creaks like crazy every since they had to replace my screen. I hate it because it puts pressure on certain points of the powerbook and I am affraid it will weaken areas of the lid where you can sort of see it flexing, it must be too tight.

Is there a way to loosen it just a tad?

Nspace

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
My dad on his thinkpad can get about 20 more feet through an exterior wall than I can with my Powerbook. He can be sitting down outside on the back patio and get a signal where as I still have trouble getting a signal just inside the door to go outside.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
My powerbook had a creaking problem as well. I really had no idea what was wrong with it and yeah, scary. I ended up getting rid of it and the guy I sold it to had never seen it before either. Limited edition powerbooks I think!!!

Zoli

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2006
NY
Oh my gosh I didn't think this was such a huge problem, its such a pissoff! My friend sits in the same room I do and he gets the internet during clas... arrggh why can't my school get wifi????? :mad:

I really wish there was like an amplifier or something that you could just strap under yout battery, like those cellphone things.

Burnlem

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Fishers, IN
airport antenna wire

just realized it's been a LONG time since the last post -

I accidentally realized my reception went to full when my PB lid was almost closed, but dropped to about 20% when I opened it fully - I suspect the cable is worn, and when I shut it, it's making a better connection -

anyone else seeing this? any ideas on replacing the antenna?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.