Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I want something cheap just for my car that takes a 30 pin. Will the battery/screen likely not last much longer? Should I just go classic?

Jzo

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
As long as you can charge the iPod in your car, I'd go for it.

A 1st Gen (or really 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) are getting to the point they are not that expensive, or valuable. Someone might be less likely to steal it out of your car, and if they do, you are not out as much.

The only thing I really dislike about the 1st gen touch is there are not physical volume buttons.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
As long as you can charge the iPod in your car, I'd go for it.

A 1st Gen (or really 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) are getting to the point they are not that expensive, or valuable. Someone might be less likely to steal it out of your car, and if they do, you are not out as much.

The only thing I really dislike about the 1st gen touch is there are not physical volume buttons.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, so I don't have to take it in and out of the house every time. Will leaving it connected to the stereo via an iPod hookup that piggy backs onto the XM connection drain my car battery or damage the stereo/car in any way?

Jzo

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
Yeah that's what I was thinking, so I don't have to take it in and out of the house every time. Will leaving it connected to the stereo via an iPod hookup that piggy backs onto the XM connection drain my car battery or damage the stereo/car in any way?

Hmmm. Not sure. Some of those connections shut off when the car is off. Some stay on I think. You might have to at least unplug it when you get out of the car. Not sure.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Hmmm. Not sure. Some of those connections shut off when the car is off. Some stay on I think. You might have to at least unplug it when you get out of the car. Not sure.

Don't they stop charge after 30 min?

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

Either shut it down every time you leave the car for more than a day, or get a rootable Android device - there's a simple software solution to making android power down automatically when it's not charging that lots of people use when they hard wire an android tablet into the car in place of the head unit.

If you leave it on a few days and it completely discharged the car battery, the car battery would be damaged. Lead Acid batteries are hurt badly by full discharge.

Jonathon71

Suspended
Nov 23, 2014
Cheap and lose

If you can buy it with a little cost, then I might say you got nothing to lose. So, my call is go for it.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I have a 1st gen iPod Touch that I use in my car through the USB input . While the ignition switch is in the accessories position or the engine is running, the iPod charges. But as soon as I turn the car off and remove the key, the iPod is no longer taking power from the car. The system works very well. I have my own playlist as do each of my grand daughters. I take the iPod into my house now and then to update the content.

The display of my cars audio system shows me the playlists, titles artists etc.. so I do not look at the iPod screen so, if these iPods die I will get an iPod shuffle. A shuffle may not be an option if you need the iPod screen and larger than 2 gig storage.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
A cheap second gen yes...if it's really cheap.
But not a first gen considering for just a few bucks more u can get the second with better performance and a speaker and stuff. Not that u can really use it for much other than music...u can probably find a third gen just as cheap as a second.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Is a 3rd gen IpT that much more expensive to you? Some quickie price checks include $50 to $80. I guess you're looking to spend even less than that?

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Is a 3rd gen IpT that much more expensive to you? Some quickie price checks include $50 to $80. I guess you're looking to spend even less than that?

$80 for a 3rd gen iPod touch is kinda rediculous since you can get a 5th gen (32GB with camera) for $40 more...

$50 sounds OK though.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
$80 for a 3rd gen iPod touch is kinda rediculous since you can get a 5th gen (32GB with camera) for $40 more...

$50 sounds OK though.

$120 for a 32 GB IpT5!? I presume you're using places like Ebay for used ones? Otherwise, that seems to be a stretch even for a refurbished or used IpT5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.