Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Im thinking of getting a 512gb samsung 840 evo to replace my 128gb SSD in My lacie rugged enclosure. Will it work?

In reading that larger ssds draw more power and therefore won't work since the thunderbolt port can't provide enough.. On the other hand I'm reading that the 256 and 512gb version of the 840 Evo draws almost the same amount of power...

Anyone got a 512gb SSD successfully working in a rugged enclosure?

Yes, the 512GB 840 EVO will work just fine in the LaCie "Rugged" thunderbolt enclosure. The EVO series is much lower peak power than the older (albeit somewhat faster) SSDs which would cause power problems.

In fact, if you purchase the retail "Rugged 512GB SSD" version, it will contain a 840 EVO device.

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Yes, the 512GB 840 EVO will work just fine in the LaCie "Rugged" thunderbolt enclosure. The EVO series is much lower peak power than the older (albeit somewhat faster) SSDs which would cause power problems.

In fact, if you purchase the retail "Rugged 512GB SSD" version, it will contain a 840 EVO device.

Thanks for the reply! And it is a standard sata connector?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Thanks for the reply! And it is a standard sata connector?

Yes .... very easy to change the disk for the SSD. Slip off the orange "lifeboat" sleeve, remove the corner screws, and gently pop off the end cap to remove the pc board. Swap the drives, reassemble it back together, and you are good to go.

I use 2 of these as external thunderbolt bootable Windows drives on my 2 iMacs. I also use one as a portable Aperture library backup drive. They are all 512GB 840 EVO SSDs and are working great for me.

Good luck...

-howard

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Yes .... very easy to change the disk for the SSD. Slip off the orange "lifeboat" sleeve, remove the corner screws, and gently pop off the end cap to remove the pc board. Swap the drives, reassemble it back together, and you are good to go.

I use 2 of these as external thunderbolt bootable Windows drives on my 2 iMacs. I also use one as a portable Aperture library backup drive. They are all 512GB 840 EVO SSDs and are working great for me.

Good luck...

-howard
Wow, sounds quite easy then. I've not really decided if I need the 512gb or if I'm good with 256. Either way I will upgrade to one of them tomorrow, will report back. I'm also using the LaCie as a windows partition.

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Just finished replacing the original 128gb drive with a 500gb samsung 840 EVO. No problems whatsoever!

Working flawlessly

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Does anyone know if they changed the controller between the v1 Rugged and v2?

From what I can see the only change is updated SSDs and an integrated cable, but I can't confirm what they did with the controller, if anything.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Does anyone know if they changed the controller between the v1 Rugged and v2?

From what I can see the only change is updated SSDs and an integrated cable, but I can't confirm what they did with the controller, if anything.

Still Thunderbolt 1, Port Ridge.

New SATA-3 controller for ssd and hdd

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Cheers.

I noticed they claim the same numbers with the old model, is it not SATA 3?

Older original is also SATA-3 but also an different ASMEDIA controller. Nothing to worry about. Main improvements are the tethered cable and dust/moisture cover.

Great portable drive.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Older original is also SATA-3 but also an different ASMEDIA controller. Nothing to worry about. Main improvements are the tethered cable and dust/moisture cover.

Great portable drive.

Ok thanks!

I picked up the previous model refurbished quite cheap, plus it comes with a proper thunderbolt cable, which can be used for other purposes. Thought it was a good deal at around $140USD shipped.

I'll be putting in an SSD at some point, so good to hear it should perform well.

LeoCheng

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Wow, sounds quite easy then. I've not really decided if I need the 512gb or if I'm good with 256. Either way I will upgrade to one of them tomorrow, will report back. I'm also using the LaCie as a windows partition.

anyone know how much power can the TB cable sustain? After some research, it appears TB cable only powered enclosure can sustain up to 256gb, higher than this create stability issues.

Thanks

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
anyone know how much power can the TB cable sustain? After some research, it appears TB cable only powered enclosure can sustain up to 256gb, higher than this create stability issues.

Thanks

According to the spec, single Thunderbolt copper cable can deliver 10W at maximum.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
The easy answer is to use the same model SSD that the branded vendors use. In the LaCie case it is the Samsung EVO 840 or the Samsung PM851.

You likely don't have enough info available to do your own power calculations and estimates.

The published specs for SSDs don't tell you everything you need to know, and you'll be sorry if you blow the Thunderbolt ports of your computer.

There have been some good sales on the Samsung Evo SSDs.

----------

According to the spec, single Thunderbolt copper cable can deliver 10W at maximum.

True, but that doesn't help much because you don't know how to allocate the power between the cable, the controller circuitry, and the SSD (or HDD).

What you need to know is how much is left for SSD or HDD in all situations. Extensive read/write operations cause power peaks that have to be accounted for.

LeoCheng

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
The easy answer is to use the same model SSD that the branded vendors use. In the LaCie case it is the Samsung EVO 840 or the Samsung PM851.

You likely don't have enough info available to do your own power calculations and estimates.

The published specs for SSDs don't tell you everything you need to know, and you'll be sorry if you blow the Thunderbolt ports of your computer.

----------

True, but that doesn't help much because you don't know how to allocate the power between the cable, the controller circuitry, and the SSD (or HDD).

What you need to know is how much is left for SSD or HDD in all situations. Extensive read/write operations cause power peaks that have to be accounted for.

thanks. very informative.

Also, anyone know the difference between lacie rugged thunderbolt 1TB v1 (9000294) and v2 (9000488) on the adaptor side not the included hard drive It appears Lacie roll out new version and discontinue the old one. Probably can find good price on refurbished v1 to use as an enclosure.

Thanks

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands

----------

For this reason, and thanks to your info, I'll be using the Samsung 840 Evo 1TB. It just happens to be one of the best value drives in 1TB anyway, which is a bonus :)

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
thanks. very informative.

Also, anyone know the difference between lacie rugged thunderbolt 1TB v1 (9000294) and v2 (9000488) on the adaptor side not the included hard drive It appears Lacie roll out new version and discontinue the old one. Probably can find good price on refurbished v1 to use as an enclosure.

Thanks

9000294 has a Thunderbolt port that you plug the included cable into
---> max SSD capacity is 256GB w/9000352
https://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10599RUGGED

9000488 has a permanently attached integrated Thunderbolt cable
---> max SSD capacity is 512GB w/9000491
https://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10629

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands

Great portable drive.

Finally have the unit in my possession.

It's a refurb but seems to be in perfect condition.

For around USD$140 I think it was a pretty good deal.

You also get a thunderbolt cable on this model that can be used for other purposes :)

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
Finally have the unit in my possession.

It's a refurb but seems to be in perfect condition.

For around USD$140 I think it was a pretty good deal.

You also get a thunderbolt cable on this model that can be used for other purposes :)

Mate, how did the 1TB EVO 840 working out for you? I already have the LaCie Rugged (actually, several). But still hesitating on ordering the SSD seeing as there is conflicting info if the enclosure support 500+ GB reliably or not.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Mate, how did the 1TB EVO 840 working out for you? I already have the LaCie Rugged (actually, several). But still hesitating on ordering the SSD seeing as there is conflicting info if the enclosure support 500+ GB reliably or not.

Holding off now that the 850 Evo is out. The power draw of the 850 Evo 1TB is less than the 840 Evo 512GB, according to the Anandtech review.

Using the enclosure as an external Time Machine backup with the spinner until I see how the pricing goes in January.

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
Holding off now that the 850 Evo is out. The power draw of the 850 Evo 1TB is less than the 840 Evo 512GB, according to the Anandtech review.

Using the enclosure as an external Time Machine backup with the spinner until I see how the pricing goes in January.

Well, currently 850 PROs go for much higher than 840 EVOs currently. I don't think the prices are coming down until there's a new model released. :(

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Well, currently 850 PROs go for much higher than 840 EVOs currently. I don't think the prices are coming down until there's a new model released. :(

Of course, the 850 Pro will stay as the premium product, I already have one as my main drive and it's great.

The 840 Evo should drop a bit more as it's probably on run out from Dec 20 when the 850 Evo is officially released, and in January I would assume the 850 Evo will start to fall in price closer to current 840 Evo pricing.

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
Of course, the 850 Pro will stay as the premium product, I already have one as my main drive and it's great.

The 840 Evo should drop a bit more as it's probably on run out from Dec 20 when the 850 Evo is officially released, and in January I would assume the 850 Evo will start to fall in price closer to current 840 Evo pricing.

Just a few days more until the launch of 850 EVO. I think I'll get the 500GB version instead as it doesn't look like I'll be using 1TB in Bootcamp and the power consumption is significantly less also according to Anandtech. Skyrim should load way faster lol :rolleyes:

January the prices should become more reasonable as all the eBay sellers are listing early-adopter tax prices right now.

StE823

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Toronto
I got the exact setup. Swapped out the 1TB HDD with the samsung 840 evo 500gb. (I use this for my on location backup drive)

Here's the speed via thunderbolt.
lacie_tb.png

Comparing this to my new acquired angelbird ssd2go pocket 512gb. I love the size and built of this drive, but the cable is too thick compare to my TB lacie.
angelbird_ssd2go.png

I guess the thunderbolt was throttled by the enclosure itself.

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
I got the exact setup. Swapped out the 1TB HDD with the samsung 840 evo 500gb. (I use this for my on location backup drive)

Here's the speed via thunderbolt.

Comparing this to my new acquired angelbird ssd2go pocket 512gb. I love the size and built of this drive, but the cable is too thick compare to my TB lacie.

I guess the thunderbolt was throttled by the enclosure itself.

But does the Angelbird SSD2Go work as Bootcamp drive?
An advantage of the LaCie Rugged is that you can boot Bootcamp from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.