Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Supplies of the 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display have been slowly dwindling ahead of the holidays, and as of this week, shipping estimates for both standard and custom configurations have slipped to two to three weeks.

At launch on October 16, shipping estimates were briefly at a day before slipping to 3 to 5 days, later moving to 7 to 10 days before slipping again on Monday.

retinaimacshippingestimates-800x408.jpg
The base Retina iMac, with a 3.5GHz processor, 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB fusion drive, is in stock at many retail Apple Stores around the country and can be picked up same day, but when ordered from the online store, it carries the same two to three week shipping estimate as all custom configurations.

While Retina iMacs ordered from the online Apple Store may not arrive until December, some Apple resellers have available stock that will ship much earlier. Amazon, for example, has the base model in stock available with Amazon Prime shipping and a $50 discount.

MacMall has the base model in stock for immediate shipping, plus the site has several machines with various custom configurations on hand, which it says will ship in five to seven days. MacMall is also offering a discount of $50 on much of its stock.

Other stores like Best Buy and B&H Photo also have the base Retina iMac in stock and available to ship immediately.

Equipped with a 5120 x 2880 "5K" Retina screen, Apple's newest iMac has received largely positive reviews for its impressive display, and configured with a 4.0GHz processor and 32GB of RAM, the higher-end Retina iMac models are able to outperform the low-end Mac Pro.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for 27-Inch Retina iMac Slip to 2 to 3 Weeks

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I wonder why having it shipped is that far out. Every zip code I put in has it available at all the nearest Apple Stores.

kunia

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
Mobile graphics card in a nearly $3k desktop computer...iMacs always make me LOL. New trend at Apple: looks over function, a contradiction to industrial design.

Wiggle

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2014
Mobile graphics card in a nearly $3k desktop computer...iMacs always make me LOL. New trend at Apple: looks over function, a contradiction to industrial design.

Mine is playing all my games and running FCP and Premiere juuuuuust fine. Not sure what you're whining about.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States

PHENOMENAL COSMIC GAMING POWER! iddy biddy graphics card space.

Hey, if it works, why complain?

B2k1977

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009

meh...don't you have a windows 8 machine to go fix?:apple:

Last edited by a moderator:

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

You can buy the unreleased Dell 5K monitor (no computer) for nearly $3k. Or how about all the fake 4K TN panels?

Looks like the iMac 5k is a steal and is ahead by a generation. Enjoy your fake 4K.

kunia

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
Mine is playing all my games and running FCP and Premiere juuuuuust fine. Not sure what you're whining about.

Angry birds HD edition and home-made videos of pet cat? Why don't you do some research on what actually R9 M295X is. Just the concept of a mobile graphics card pushing that many pixels is pathetic. Those crappy cards were a joke before retina iMacs, now it's a full on circus.
And Apple does it because they can. People will still buy those pretty looking iMacs with out-of-date components.

A Ferrari with a Prius engine - at least it moves. Whatever floats your boat.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010

For windows users (whiner ones), it's not bout how things work together in a nice package. It's about how they look on a spec sheet.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Still wondering why on this super-exclusive, premium iMac model that starts at $2500, they equipped the standard model with an underpowered i5 and not an i7. It would make more sense to make 3.5GHz i7 standard, and the 4.0GHz model a BTO upgrade.

When they introduced it a few weeks ago, they run through the specs and mention it comes with a "Blazing fast i5 processor" -- I was like...really??? With something like this I would be expecting Xeon-like power, nothing less!!

Yes, backside cache really does matter.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
The base 27" riMac will be our next work computer purchase. To get the 5k screen for what essentially is a $600 premium over the standard 27" iMac, plus getting better graphics and cpu to boot, is a steal. Then spend another $165 for an additional 16gb of ram and you have a powerhouse AIO with better than 4k screen.

I was just at an Apple store the other night and forgot to check them out, although I'm never happy with any screens in-store, due to the overpowered ambient lighting.

kunia

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
For windows users (whiner ones), it's not bout how things work together in a nice package. It's about how they look on a spec sheet.

Funny how people assume I'm on a botched up PC since I'm criticizing an apple product.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I like the iMac but I wish the screen really was flat from the side view without looking pregnant and the base had easy access to the memory and drive with a door, no soldering, and no tools required. It would be something like a small Mac Mini but integrated with the monitor so you don't see any wires. And you can upgrade the Mac by replacing this entire base without having to replace the monitor by just sliding it out of the integrated dock. That would be a really nice Mac that only Apple can do.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just keep telling myself "Skylake, Skylake, Skylake!" when I feel the temptation to press the buy button. From the reviews I've seen, this thing is a little bit jittery running at this high resolution. I bought a first gen Retina MacBook Pro and it did the same thing. It's just not ideal to buy first gen retina devices, like the iPad 3. The only one that was decent was the iPhone 4. Totally getting it whenever Skylake drops, either next autumn or spring 2016. Hopefully by then 1TB SSDs will be cheaper too.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Funny how people assume I'm on a botched up PC since I'm criticizing an apple product.

So what do you think should be in the Retina iMac for a graphics card? At some point, you do have to make decisions with price vs performance considered. Sure, Apple could put in one of the better graphics cards, but then people would complain that the price is too high at $2999, which I would agree. And specs are not everything. Do you have or have you tried a new 5k iMac to know whether the gpu is underpowered?

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
I was in the Apple store this week and compared a regular 27" iMac sitting next to a Retina iMac. I could tell a difference...but only when I looked really close. It was not the stunning difference I had thought it would be. You might want to see for yourself before taking out your wallet. Unless you're a photo professional, you might not find it worth the extra money.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

295 is just as fast as a HD7970 which is capable of playing most of the modern games at ultra settings at 1440k resolution. I don't know what you are whining about unless you want this Mac to run games at 5K resolution, which is basically a fools errand right now even on Windows with quad SLI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.