Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the bug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
I just finished flashing my MacPro 1,1 bootrom and SMC to 2,1 and everything seems to be working except when I check the AppStore for updates I get the following error :
The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1012.)

Strange because I can download new apps, but only get the error checking for updates.
I'm running Mavericks 10.9.3 with the Tiamo boot.efi file, everything was working fine until I re-flashed the firmware (maybe just a coincidence, but I haven't made any other changes except the re-flash).

Here's what I've tried :
- rebooting
- repairing permissions
- clearing caches with Onyx
- checking for unfinished downloads from the App Store (none)
- repairing keychain
- and even re-setting SMC again

Any other suggestions to try ?
Thanks in advance.

- Jay

Last edited:

the bug

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
Thanks man, I appreciate the news that it's not just me.

I reckon it was probably a good thing for me to do all the cache cleaning and permission repairs after re-flashing anyways. :)
No, really I was planning on doing all that stuff anyway... umm... yeah, right. :) :eek:

Thanks again.

- Jay

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I also got this message today.

The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “ax.itunes.apple.com”, which could put your confidential information at risk.

I got paranoid my computer had a virus, so I restored it to be safe. Good to know that isn't the case, but I just wasted 3 hours doing this, lol

rbrewer

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
It seems like it's an expired certificate issue, guys.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/25/apple-software-update-invalid/

Doesn't seem fixed to me. I was getting the NSURLErrorDomain error -1012 from Software Update, but now I am getting:

Can't load data from the Apple Software Update server.

Hopefully Apple sorts this out...

Here is an article with manual download links. Many articles (including Apple's security bulletin) just link to the top level of support downloads, and I couldn't find Safari 7.0.4 there.

http://www.tekrevue.com/safari-7-0-4/

Last edited:

Muellerleile

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Deactivate Antivirus

It was so easy to solve this. I deactivated Kaspersky for a moment and could update everything. The error message disappeared. Then I reactivated the Antivirus protection.

mactracker75

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2014
Astoria, Queens NY
Hate to bump an old thread but I'm getting this error also and even spoke with Apple support twice. One said it's a server issue, other support person had no idea what it was but doesn't believe it's a hardware issue on my end. Very frustrating. I've been getting this for the last couple of weeks which is way too long.

gr33d0

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
Bumping an old thread as well; I'm getting the same issue on my Mac Pro 1,1. It happens on both accounts, so it's not a login item issue, I don't run any firewall or AV, so it's on Apple right now. Been this way for at least 2 weeks, hopefully gets resolved.

mactracker75

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2014
Astoria, Queens NY
For me it was a certificate issue. I had an apple tech tell me what to do over the phone and edit some of the certificates and presto, all was well. Haven't had the issue since.

smrhans

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
I just finished flashing my MacPro 1,1 bootrom and SMC to 2,1 and everything seems to be working except when I check the AppStore for updates I get the following error :
The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1012.)

Strange because I can download new apps, but only get the error checking for updates.
I'm running Mavericks 10.9.3 with the Tiamo boot.efi file, everything was working fine until I re-flashed the firmware (maybe just a coincidence, but I haven't made any other changes except the re-flash).

Here's what I've tried :
- rebooting
- repairing permissions
- clearing caches with Onyx
- checking for unfinished downloads from the App Store (none)
- repairing keychain
- and even re-setting SMC again

Any other suggestions to try ?
Thanks in advance.

- Jay
[doublepost=1454691371][/doublepost]Hi Pal,

I was also facing the same problem and finally got a fix through this article:

Fix Error NSURLErrorDomainError1012

Hope it works for you too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.