Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
I figure this would be a good topic seeing as how MWSF is less then a month away.
Here are my personal guesses:

iMac G4 800/933mhz
No standard wide-screen

eMac Updates

A new iApp or major update to an existing one

No new Powermacs
No new digital lifestyle devices
No Bluetooth

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Yea...

I don't really think apple would be doing THAT little at MWSF. It is one of their biggest conventions.

I mean, an update to the imac/emac and an iApp? Thats pathetic.

I agree with the update to the imac/emac, but their will be new powermacs IMO.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
Re: Yea...

Originally posted by MacAztec
I don't really think apple would be doing THAT little at MWSF. It is one of their biggest conventions.

I mean, an update to the imac/emac and an iApp? Thats pathetic.

I agree with the update to the imac/emac, but their will be new powermacs IMO.
They are moving away from major conventions. MWNY was a bit of a bust. I really don't think there will be a Powermac update until March but I hope I'm mistaken.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Why?

Why would they move away from conventions? Dont they like to suprise people? Thats why I (we) go to conventions.

I am going to MWSF, and I am going to be at the doors on the very first day. I will have no clue of what to expect. Hell, I love the feeling when you go in and people rush to see whats new :)

AssassinOfGates

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
A cardboard box.
  • Speed bumped eMac
  • Speed bumped iMac
  • NO new powermac
  • Preview of XRaid
  • More rendevous support (iTunes?)
  • iMovie update
  • iDVD update (hopefully, as the current one lacks too many features)
  • Possible new Digital Lifestyle Devcie, if not, then more hints towards one
  • Roadmap of Apple's future technologies / goals, hopefully discussion on Motorola, inspired by the latest Mac World magazine

All this is on a goood hope. :)

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
1. eMac update
2. iMac update (possible ghz?)
3. iPod update (color screen? software update?)
4. NO new PowerMacs
5. NO bluetooth
6. New digital lifestyle device
7. iApp updates (gm iSync? iTunes rendezvous? iMovie update? iDVD update? iPhoto update?)
8. Sneak preview of panther?

Just my 2 cents...I really hope for an iPod update. I wanted one for Christmas, but I told myself to wait until they get updated. After all, I've already waited this long, what's a little more time?

My predictions would be 1ghz iMacs, maybe with a few new ports.
Also maybe a faster eMac.
I think firewire2 will mkae its debut on the powermacs, but no other changes then that.
The iPod can't get a larger HD since the current line of HD for iPods is not any bigger.

I am Praying for iMovie 3!!!!

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Why are there so many of you assuming that there won't be any new Powermacs? Don't they always upgrade powermacs at MWSF?:confused:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Maybe we'll get the new monitor 19" wide screen? I can hope. I'm a little worried about this one though. I hope Steve pulls something out of the hat or places farther south and comes up with something good. ;)

And, I think we might have something fun to look forward to - another Will Ferrell switch ad! :D That would be very cool.

D

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Imac

its has been a year and nothing has happen to the imac cpu
I will go out on the limb and predict
elimnatin of 15 incher
Imac 1GHZ 1MB L2 cache 17'' 256MB 60GB firewire2 usb2 bluetooth dvd/cdrw $1399
Imac 1GHZ 1MB L2 cache 17'' 256MB 80GB firewire2 usb2 bluetooth Superdrive $1599
Imac 1.25GHZ 2MB L2 cache 17'' 512MB 120GB firewire2 usb2 bluetooth Superdrive $1899
no nineteen inchers
color ipod 40GB with mpeg video out and wireless remote $599
no more 5GB
$50 price cut on 10 and 20GB models.
Powermac usual slight speed update duals 1.0, 1.25, 1.5 with 512kL2cache new update motherboard that takes full advantage of ddr, bluetooth Fw2, Usb2, same case, quieter, 80,120,180Gb 256, 512, 1GB memory and one more thing Price cuts of $200 dollars across the board. and One more thing
A top line fully equipped Quad processor G4 tower 4-1.25 2 GB, 2X180GB, of a possible 4 on the new motherboard. for $3999 for video and audio and graphics pros. OSX only bootable on this model.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
I reckon the following:

1. XServe update and XServe RAID with Firewire 2 (or possibly soon after MWSF)
2. iMac/eMac update
3. Software updates (Appleworks/iMovie etc)
4. New range of Monitors
5. Hoping for new digital lifestyle device

I doubt there'll be Powermacs (too soon since last updated) or iPods for the same reason.

James.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Re: MWSF '03 Predictions

Originally posted by Durandal7
I figure this would be a good topic seeing as how MWSF is less then a month away.
Here are my personal guesses:

iMac G4 800/933mhz
No standard wide-screen

eMac Updates

A new iApp or major update to an existing one

No new Powermacs
No new digital lifestyle devices
No Bluetooth
you definately are setting yourself up for no disapointment.
I f thats it everybody should stay home.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001
Re: Re: MWSF '03 Predictions

Originally posted by daveg5

you definately are setting yourself up for no disapointment.
I f thats it everybody should stay home.
Hey, as long as the iMac gets updated I'm happy. :)

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
okay

well thats cool, you wont be disapointed 1 year is forever even by apples standard for no upgrades other then the 17 and video card on the 17".
I hope we get more then 100-133MHZ speed after all that time.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Apple may be staying away from updating their products at conventions, but not necessarily consumer products.

Expect an iMac and/or and eMac update.
Expect the new 19" screen.
Expect an update/announcement of an iApp.

Possible announcement of integration of bluetooth into portables.
Possible talk about OS9 and its future (ending in June)

Doubtful: updates to the PowerMacs, portables.

Highly Likely: A big announcement of a cool new product. :)

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
my guess is bluetooth is in

I'm going to guess that bluetooth will be added to all lines - at least the portables.

They put out the new powerbooks and ibooks for the holiday shopping season, and I'm guessing they didn't have enough time to get bluetooth in there but at MWSF they will throw that in.

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA
As long as a new version of iTunes comes out that is Rendezvous enabled, I don't care if they don't introduce another thing. I'm tired of having to manually sync up my library that sits on the 80gig drive in the iMac with the iBook that sits close to the stereo. I want to be able to just play the music without having to mess around with stuff.

I really hope that they make it so that your music is shared even when iTunes isn't running.

Plus, iTunes needs some enhancements/bug fixes -- having 8000 songs in my library really slows down iTunes quite a bit when adding/removing songs. Also, ID3 tag support is a bit lacking -- I have a number of songs that are tagged properlly in iTunes, but the tags themselves aren't in the file. It appears to be keeping them in a separate file (which is probally where some of the slowdown occurs).

Also, having an ID3v2 tag doesn't mean that I don't want a v1 tag -- I have a car MP3 player that can only read v1 tags. I would like iTunes to keep the v1 and v2 tags synced, so that devices that can only use v1 tags show up properlly.

Also, is it too much to ask that iTunes doesn't use 15% of the CPU while playing in the backgroung on my 366mhz iBook? There needs to be some more optimization done there -- heck, even on the dual 1ghz G4 at CompUSA, iTunes was still taking a noticable amount of CPU time while playing. On that machine, it shouldn't even be getting 1%...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
Why are there so many of you assuming that there won't be any new Powermacs? Don't they always upgrade powermacs at MWSF?:confused:

The last time the PowerMac was updated AT a MacWorld was July 2001.

arn

onethreeseven

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2002
UK
pricing change after mwsf?

The apple UK store is running a 0% interest deal for 6 months on new macs, the offer ends on the 6th of january. Isn't that the date for the keynote?
This isn't exactly a revelation but it probably equates to product line and price changes.

any thoughts?

also should I wait until after the keynote to buy my powerbook? bluetooth would be nice....

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by arn

The last time the PowerMac was updated AT a MacWorld was July 2001.

arn
exactly, and earliest you might expect new powermacs would be.... april

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Wow...

Great predictions... I'm not so good at this, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say MWSF won't be held in New York this year.

:cool:

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
My predictions

- Minor iMac speed bump, none for eMac, iBook and Powerbook.
- Bluetooth all across the line save eMac.

The pro line:

1) Fast: Powermac G4 Dual 1GHz, available.
2) Faster: Powermac 970 1.6GHz, available Feb.
3) Fastest: Powermac 970 1.8GHz, available March.
4) Ultimate: Powermac 970 Dual 1.6GHz, available March.

The second model will gently outperform the first.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
1) New iBook
2) Upgraded eMac
3) Uprgraded iMac
4) New PowerBook
5) New PowerMac
6) Upgraded XServe
7) XRaid - Available
8) New Secret Weapon
9) SJ will have a beard

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
-iTunes 4 yipeeeeeeeeeeee
-iMac 1 GHz, now all models with GeForce 4 MX,
no more 15", eMac takes over low end, maybe new 19" screen but I dont see how would that work
-eMac at 1GHz
-steve is very excited that jaguar has been adopted by xx percent of mac users
-they think we will be happy to hear that apple has 5.5% market share compared to 5.1% year ago, counting those who switched from mac pc
-more boooorriingg quicktime 6 demos
-more demos of fascinating adress book features
-more schillermania

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.