Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Here are pictures I took at Cuyahoga Valley National Park here in Northeast Ohio. They were taken with my Canon a95, which is about as close to a DSLR you can get with a standard digital camera. I did not use any lenses or other filters. I only tweaked settings occassionally within the camera's software.

n12432993_30474962_9430.jpg

n12432993_30474647_4558.jpg

n12432993_30474654_7341.jpg

n12432993_30474649_5267.jpg

n12432993_30474650_5442.jpg

n12432993_30474655_7577.jpg

n12432993_30474656_7762.jpg

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
2nyRiggz said:
where did you take those photos...it looks right out of a horror movie but nice shots

Bless

Cuyahoga Valley National Park along the canals. Its right outside of downtown Cleveland. Thanks for the comment!

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
I have the same camera. It's great for daytime outdoor shots but I have trouble capturing quality shots at night. I should experiment more w/ the settings.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
noel4r said:
I have the same camera. It's great for daytime outdoor shots but I have trouble capturing quality shots at night. I should experiment more w/ the settings.

In low light. I overexpose a notch or two, set the white balance to Flourescent, keep the ISO high, and have the picture effect set to Vivid.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I don't mean to be a jerk, but we photographers are an anal bunch. So take this as constructive criticism. The first and second ones aren't bad, but the rest are too busy in the background - they distract the eye too much from the focal point. Just keep taking pictures, you'll improve.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
adk said:
I don't mean to be a jerk, but we photographers are an anal bunch. So take this as constructive criticism. The first and second ones aren't bad, but the rest are too busy in the background - they distract the eye too much from the focal point. Just keep taking pictures, you'll improve.

No, thanks! I do not mind criticism at all. I agree with them being busy except picture 5. Or maybe its because its my favorite of the bunch.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
ieani said:
In low light. I overexpose a notch or two, set the white balance to Flourescent, keep the ISO high, and have the picture effect set to Vivid.

Meh, don't worry. I used to have an A60 and when taking night shots, I set the exposure compensation down (yes, down), keep the ISO high (but not the highest), and set the exposure for longer to compensate for my "undercompensating" on exposure. I did that to keep my sky black if it was black. But don't listen to me, as I'm on Level 1 on trying to learn about photography and don't even know what I'm doing, and that includes ev.......well, read my sig.

Is this where you hid the body?

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
ieani said:
What college did you attend?
I went to Oberlin College, about 45 min. outside of Cleveland, but my friends and I would head up to Cleveland whenever we could get our hands on a car. Not much to do in a small town like Oberlin...

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
adk said:

I understand your photographical points, and I think they're good, if you're in a studio, but if you're outside...if he wants to take a picture of a tree...how can you avoid having a had background? You're in the woods...

I really like the pictures, actually. They're awesome.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I really like #4 with the small lake and the trail. Has reflections, the sky, leaves... Nice photo.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I'd recommend enhancing the color... perhaps warmer?

The color shots look a little blah.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ieani said:
Cuyahoga Valley National Park along the canals. Its right outside of downtown Cleveland. Thanks for the comment!

Man, there is much that I missed in visiting Cleveland a few years ago!

When were this pictures taken? I mean you still have color this time of year?

I see lots of long term possibilities for that tree shot (#2 and #7).

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
do you have a full size version you'd be willing to post of this one?

i really like that! (i think they all look great by the way)

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Stampyhead said:
I went to Oberlin College, about 45 min. outside of Cleveland, but my friends and I would head up to Cleveland whenever we could get our hands on a car. Not much to do in a small town like Oberlin...

A friend of mine went there, his brother is also there right now.

ITASOR said:
I understand your photographical points, and I think they're good, if you're in a studio, but if you're outside...if he wants to take a picture of a tree...how can you avoid having a had background? You're in the woods...

I really like the pictures, actually. They're awesome.

Thanks! Means a lot!

belvdr said:
I really like #4 with the small lake and the trail. Has reflections, the sky, leaves... Nice photo.

Its actually a canal(man made) and I really hope I didnt come across too smart! I wasnt trying to. Thanks for the compliments though, much appreciated!

hcuar said:
I'd recommend enhancing the color... perhaps warmer?

The color shots look a little blah.

And someone from Iowa definitely knows blah when they see it. :)

Chip NoVaMac said:
Man, there is much that I missed in visiting Cleveland a few years ago!

When were this pictures taken? I mean you still have color this time of year?

I see lots of long term possibilities for that tree shot (#2 and #7).

Im considering having an 8X10 of the black and white one made. Still deciding though. I need to get down there after a snowfall. EDIT: Pictures were taken in late October, so a little over 2 months ago.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
iBlue said:
do you have a full size version you'd be willing to post of this one?

i really like that! (i think they all look great by the way)

Here you go. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 100

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Those are nice pictures. I like the last one; reminded me a bit of fingers. But I wouldn't call the A95 a DSLR... a high-end point and shoot, but not a DSLR. (Not to say the A95 is a bad camera or anything. I looked at the S2 IS and the A95 along with a number of other models a while back and the S2 IS won because of the DSLR features. Then my uncle bought an E20D :mad: but he lets me 'play' with it. Enough of a sidetrack.)

Here's a couple of an orange tree I took in the Old City of Jerusalem with my Canon S2 IS. Just felt like sharing 'em. No filters here either; the B&W+Orange one was done with a special color mode on the camera.

Attachments

• BWO.jpg
    BWO.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 100
  • FC.jpg
    FC.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 118

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Mechcozmo said:
Those are nice pictures. I like the last one; reminded me a bit of fingers. But I wouldn't call the A95 a DSLR... a high-end point and shoot, but not a DSLR. (Not to say the A95 is a bad camera or anything. I looked at the S2 IS and the A95 along with a number of other models a while back and the S2 IS won because of the DSLR features. Then my uncle bought an E20D :mad: but he lets me 'play' with it. Enough of a sidetrack.)

Here's a couple of an orange tree I took in the Old City of Jerusalem with my Canon S2 IS. Just felt like sharing 'em. No filters here either; the B&W+Orange one was done with a special color mode on the camera.

Oh I know its not a DSLR, I just posted that its "as close to a DSLR you can get with a standard digital camera"

I want to eventually upgrade to the Rebel Xt.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mechcozmo said:

Both are really great shots....

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
ieani said:
Oh I know its not a DSLR, I just posted that its "as close to a DSLR you can get with a standard digital camera"

I want to eventually upgrade to the Rebel Xt.

Those Rebels are nice cameras. I was looking at those too but lots of money I don't have. Kinda big too but nice features and quality.

Chip NoVaMac said:
Both are really great shots....

Thanks. If I get my FTP server back up and running (Pure-FTPd Manager is being a pain) I'll share some more with you guys and gals in the photography forum.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
How did you get the "orange/gold" colour behind the chair to show up without the chair in front appearing in colour as well?

And how did the camera do that without you PS'ing it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.