Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DancyMunchkin

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2014
I had about 500 on my mid 2012 MBA13 and the battery health was at 75%, so I replaced the battery this week. :)

JuliusCaesar

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I had about 500 on my mid 2012 MBA13 and the battery health was at 75%, so I replaced the battery this week. :)

May I ask if you know or anybody knows how much Apple charges for a battery replacement, and how is the process to get it replace by them. Thanks

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It's not an Air but I'll chime in with my 2011 MBP. Currently sitting on 1089. Still get ~3 hours battery life! I suspect the MBA's will also retain high charge after so many cycles too.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does applecare cover the cost of having your battery replaced?
It does if the battery is determined to be defective, but not for depletion due to normal use. Generally speaking, if battery health drops below 80% before 1,000 cycles and you still have AppleCare coverage, Apple will likely replace it free.

shah1

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
It does if the battery is determined to be defective, but not for depletion due to normal use. Generally speaking, if battery health drops below 80% before 1,000 cycles and you still have AppleCare coverage, Apple will likely replace it free.

Thanks for that mate. My applecare runs till Jan 2016 - currently on 346 cycles and 88% batt health so will keep an eye on it. May be able to get it replaced with just over a year left.

BTW - its a mid 2012 13inch MBA :)

DancyMunchkin

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2014
May I ask if you know or anybody knows how much Apple charges for a battery replacement, and how is the process to get it replace by them. Thanks

$129. See details by clicking the "Battery Replacement" link here.

I re-read my post and it may not have been clear that I replaced the battery on my own. I did not take it to Apple. Two screwdrivers and about 15 minutes.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I re-read my post and it may not have been clear that I replaced the battery on my own. I did not take it to Apple. Two screwdrivers and about 15 minutes.
JuliusCaesar specifically asked about the cost and procedure for having Apple do the replacement. Doing it yourself can void the warranty or AppleCare, as the battery is not a user-serviceable part, and AFAIK Apple doesn't sell the battery without doing the replacement, which would mean buying a knockoff battery, which isn't recommended, due to the number of complaints about problems with knockoffs.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Mod note:

This thread is for the MacBook Air. Please do not post about a MacBook or a MacBook Pro here. Find an appropriate thread to talk about them as several posts in this thread were copied off into their own threads in the appropriate forums.

/mod note

DancyMunchkin

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2014
JuliusCaesar specifically asked about the cost and procedure for having Apple do the replacement. Doing it yourself can void the warranty or AppleCare, as the battery is not a user-serviceable part, and AFAIK Apple doesn't sell the battery without doing the replacement, which would mean buying a knockoff battery, which isn't recommended, due to the number of complaints about problems with knockoffs.

I know what JuliusCeasar was asking about. I read his post. I was clarifying my post, not his.

I also know what voids warranties and about knockoff batteries, something JuliusCeasar did not ask about. I bought the battery from iFixit and my 2012 MBA13 is out of warranty and I don't have AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.