Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I wouldn't buy it because I don't know how well it will work or how well it is built, and I just love my iPod. I wouldn't call it ugly though. It looks almost like a real iPod.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
only 512mbs

thats not enought for Pics Music and Vidoes

i saw a black 256 one some were (it was real Nano like)

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
total POS lol
really cheap plastic looking
never would buy that
prob would break very easily and not to mention no compatability with mac
apple legal needs to be all over this

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
How do these companies manage to make MP3 players with more features than Apple's? Also, the dimensions are EXACTLY the same as the nano.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I don't think it's similar enough to infringe on patents. It doesn't say Ipod anywhere, not even anywhere in the auction. Apple doesn't hold a patent on things that just look like the ipod. On top of that, it's being sold out of hong kong.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
well it is a much better deal than the shuffle. I think it's about $70 canadian with shipping and insurance, and it's got much better features (a screen!). If i was in the market for a shuffle I would get one. And it's only 70 bucks so its not a huge gamble if it ends up being ****.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
adk said:
I don't think it's similar enough to infringe on patents. It doesn't say Ipod anywhere, not even anywhere in the auction. Apple doesn't hold a patent on things that just look like the ipod. On top of that, it's being sold out of hong kong.

Apple holds a patent on the scroll wheel. Apple has also been known to patent all sorts of other aesthetic things.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Chaszmyr said:
How do these companies manage to make MP3 players with more features than Apple's? Also, the dimensions are EXACTLY the same as the nano.
And yet, the capacity is EXACTLY the same as the smallest iPod... :eek:

adk said:
It doesn't say Ipod anywhere, not even anywhere in the auction.
Well, they do a point by point comparison between it and the shuffle (conveniently leaving out such points as size and weight...), but that's it.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Chaszmyr said:
Apple holds a patent on the scroll wheel. Apple has also been known to patent all sorts of other aesthetic things.

I highly doubt that that cheap piece of garbage has a scroll wheel.

Killuminati said:
well it is a much better deal than the shuffle. I think it's about $70 canadian with shipping and insurance, and it's got much better features (a screen!). If i was in the market for a shuffle I would get one. And it's only 70 bucks so its not a huge gamble if it ends up being ****.

Except that I bet it has ZERO compatibility with itunes.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I have had enough of these blatant rip-off's. I am not even going to comment on them anymore, it's just giving the company attention.

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
remember guys, most iPods were assembled in China hence, I wouldn't be surprised if they knocked off most of the good parts of an iPod for a cheap look- alike. and the Chinese are not really known for honoring IP rights. the China gov't has been arguing for the longest time that they never charged any royalties for everyone else's use of gunpowder and noodles w/c they invented so why should they, in turn, be charged for using somebody else's invention.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
mannix87 said:
remember guys, most iPods were assembled in China hence, I wouldn't be surprised if they knocked off most of the good parts of an iPod for a cheap look- alike. and the Chinese are not really known for honoring IP rights. the China gov't has been arguing for the longest time that they never charged any royalties for everyone else's use of gunpowder and noodles w/c they invented so why should they, in turn, be charged for using somebody else's invention.

My thoughts exactly. Chinese consider intellectual property theft a part of economic warfare against the West. Too bad we are too dumb to see that, all our biz leaders see is their vast population as if they would allow us to sell our stuff to them at our profit. They will only allow this until they can steal our inventions and sell it to themselves. Hollywood is the dumbest when it comes to Chinese and their DVD rape n pillage of H'wood films -- they keep thinking the Chinese oligarchs in power are gonna let them sell movie tickets to one billion Chinese and let H'wood collect the box office. Not.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
mannix87 said:

Somebody should inform them that a patent lasts 16 years, not 600. Although, I do think paying a "noodle tax" would be pretty funny.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I think Engadget mentioned a player just like this one.

If you look at the grainy pictires you can see that there are screws protruding from the sides of the device - reeeaaaalllll classy there.:rolleyes:

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
Chaszmyr said:
Since when can you patent a wheel? Give me a fscking break. :rolleyes:

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
Randall said:
Since when can you patent a wheel? Give me a fscking break. :rolleyes:

I beleive Apple has attempted to patent the scrolling click-wheel in the form thats on the iPod. I dont think they have been successful yet.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
The funniest part is that the Buy It Now price was (roughly) £15 ($26.47), but the SHIPPING cost was £25 ($44.11).

Since when should the shipping cost for an item be more than the cost of the item itself?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
clayj said:
Since when should the shipping cost for an item be more than the cost of the item itself?
used books. especially paperbacks.

a couple years ago i was ebay surfing and found a collection of used books that had no reserve and was going for a penny. i bid the penny and won. cost me $5 to ship, but for 6 or 7 books, it was a good deal.

pmitch

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2004
eBay postage

This is quite a common tactic used by sellers from China and Hong Kong in particular. It appears to be a way of setting a 'reserve' price without actually having a reserve. No-one is really suggesting it costs that much to post [check the stamps when it arrives :D ].

Another tactic sellers often use, is to add in huge 'insurance' premiums. I suppose from their point of view, where they may have ten or fifteen identical items on auction each day, it's a way of ensuring that a $1 buyer ends up paying $60. Like it or lump it, it's one of the common tactics on eBay.

PS: I've updated my blog on fake nano's for those who are interested.

http://aussie149.wordpress.com/tag/ipods-and-mp3s/

pmitch

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2004
Chappers said:
http://aussie149.wordpress.com/ There are lots of them and some previous threads on this too.

I'd start worrying about stuff like this that look like it has the build quality

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1166)-SanDisk_Sansa_e200_Series_MP3_Players.aspx

Agreed. BTW, I have updated this site greatly this week: lots more fakes. Some pics were even taken in my home, of a "nano" sent to from China. VERY convincing: even the CD looked like an official Apple CD

http://aussie149.wordpress.com/2005/12/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.