Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vio1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
Hi, I recently got a used 15" powerbook 1.5ghz, and it has a badly scratched top, side and bottom. Where can i purchase replacement parts? Does apple cover such damages?

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Apple will not replace the case of the PB if it is cosmetic; only if its defective. You can buy replacement parts on ebay or places like http://www.pbfixit.com/, but they are not cheap.

Vio1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
anywhere else?

Can i take my powerbook into the apple store to get it fixed? It has a really noicy superdrive.

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
Vio1 said:
anywhere else?

Can i take my powerbook into the apple store to get it fixed? It has a really noicy superdrive.

Sure, you could take it to an apple store, but it won't get fixed for free/warranty (cosmetic is not covered under warranty). You could also try powerbookmedic.com. Or don't worry about the scratches, and just enjoy the PB. I eventually got over the scratches my PB got, and now I don't worry as much.

Kimo

booyahboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
Great UK iBook and PowerBook parts supplier

You should check out The Bookyard. They do used spare parts but also supply things like new third party batteries and superdrives. You can just buy the parts or use them to fit them.

lucius

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2003
Atherton, Manchester
Is the Bookyard a good shop?

Hi,

I want to get a new Superdrive for my (water-damaged) MBP. Having struggled to keep a straight face while I walked out of the Apple Store (£250 all in for them to replace it!) I found these guys on the internet (Bookyard).

I've never heard of them though, are they trust-worthy and reliable?

Thanks

Sean

You should check out The Bookyard. They do used spare parts but also supply things like new third party batteries and superdrives. You can just buy the parts or use them to fit them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.