Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
UPDATE MAY 3RD 2015: You can use the instructions posted below with the new firmware released in April '15. Simply replace the file called BTDSK.IMG from the .cdr image provided below with the one from the .iso file downloaded from Samsung's website.

EDIT: Remember to empty trash once the old BTDSK.IMG is deleted or you will get the "Not enough free space" message.

840 EVO: http://ssd.samsungsemi.com/ecomobile/ssd/update3.do?fname=/Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_EXT0DB6Q.iso

After unsuccessfully attempting all morning to make a bootable USB thumb drive to update my firmware and run the Performance restoration software on my 840 I was about to give up. That is, until I found instructions on how to go about it on a French website (source here, for those who care: http://forum.mac4ever.com/tutoriel-cle-usb-bootable-firmware-ssd-samsung-840-evo-t102027.html ). This tutorial is especially useful to those of us(like me) running an Opti-Bay. If you have a DVD drive, you don't(shouldn't) need this tutorial.

Back to the subject matter at hand. Since I'm French Canadian, the instructions were no problem for me, but I figured that since the majority of people don't speak French on here, I might as well share my findings. I've already made a disk image ready to be used (download link in the instructions below). If you follow these steps carefully, you should be up and running pretty quickly. The restoration software itself takes a while, so make sure you don't have anything time critical to do on your Mac before you attempt this.

1. Make sure you have some time where you won’t need your computer, as once your thumb drive has been made, the firmware flash and performance restoration can easily take over an hour.
2. Make a proper backup of your OS X install should anything go wrong. I will not be held liable for any data loss. I provide these instructions as a guideline. Proceed at your own risk.
3. Find a USB thumb drive.
4. Back it up somewhere if you have any valuable data on it. If you don’t, all data on your thumb drive WILL BE LOST.
5. Download the bootable image I made here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/264tz271l1ipk31/Bootable Samsung.cdr?dl=0
6. Put the downloaded file somewhere it is easily found, such as the desktop.

259yjqw.png

7. Open up disk utility.
8. Find your thumb drive in the left hand pane and click on it.

wi372s.png

9. Go to the erase tab and format it to MS-DOS (FAT) by clicking Erase. Wait for it to finish.

1266902.png

10. In the partition tab, selection 2 partition scheme. (I left mine at default, half and half, size doesn't matter at all, leave it that way.) Make sure to click the options and ensure you are using an MS DOS format, not GUID.

5y9121.png

11. Partition 1 should remain MS-DOS (FAT), partition 2 should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Choose the proper format for each.
12. Click apply.
13. When the popup asks if really want to do this, click Partition.
14. Still in disk utility, go to the first aid tab.

zur2v6.png

15. Choose your first partition, and run repair disk. Very important, not doing so will prevent it from being bootable).
16. Choose your second partition and run repair disk.
17. Now, in the finder, double click on the Samsung Bootable.cdr, the image will mount.
18. The image should contain two partitions in disk utility: SYSLINUX and rEFIt. Click on SYSLINUX.

29asokz.png

19. Click on the SYSLINUX partition under the Bootable Samsung.cdr. Go to the restore tab, verify that the Source: is SYSLINUX, if it is not, drag and drop it there from the left pane.

11mgd28.png

20. The destination should be your MS-DOS (FAT) partition. Drag and drop it there.
21. Click Restore, enter your password.
22. Repeat the process with the second partition (Mac OS Journaled) and rEFIt.
23. Click Restore, enter your password.
24. As an extra precaution, rerun repair disk on both partitions on your thumb drive.
25. Reboot your machine holding the option key. As a boot option you should see a USB disk icon with the name WINDOWS. This is what you want to boot from.

Boot-OS-X-Lion-USB.jpg

(Picture lifted from maciverse to show the look of the icon).

26. If that does not show up, choose rEFIt.

osx-boot-man-refit_g.jpg

(picture lifted from an unknown source)

27. From that boot menu, choose “Boot Legacy OS from SYSLINUX partition”. Read each description carefully, you’ll find it.

140i6ur.jpg

28. From there follow the on screen instructions, you may see quite a few BIOS error messages, ignore them, they are normal. It may take a bit of time (a minute or two) for the performance restoration software to load.

hrhp1i.jpg

29. Once your are booted into MS DOS, simply follow the prompts.
30. Once the firmware update is done and the performance restoration complete, you’ll get a message saying so and you’ll be left with a blinking cursor at the bottom of the page following A:>/SYSLINUX/ or similar.
31. When you’re done, simply hold down the power button to shut the machine down, remove the thumb drive and boot the machine as your normally would.
32. You’re done.

I will again state: Please, keep a backup of your data. You should not run into any problems, but if you do, I will not be held liable for any data loss incurred following my instructions.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
I'm not too fond of bumping my own thread, but I would appreciate feedback if anyone has given this a whirl, hopefully it was smooth sailing for you.

Makuru

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
Indonesia
It worked!

Hi Snarky,

Thank you for your help translating the French into English and for providing the update package in one file.

I did the update to my 250 GB hard drive and it worked. It did not initially work, but that was because I did not do the repair disk after copying the Syslinux.

Again, thank you very much.

Ma Kuru
Indonesia

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Hmm, can't seem to get this working. When I boot and do refit > boot from legacy OS (syslinux) it just takes me to a black screen that says "no bootable device found"

snaky69

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks tons, but on my riMac I just get the same blinking cursor as well. Same thing happened when I created a FreeDOS thumbdrive. My Samsung SSD is connected via Thunderbolt, if it matters (I would think not).

I think I recall reading something on the French site about this only working on SATA connected drives...

----------

Hmm, can't seem to get this working. When I boot and do refit > boot from legacy OS (syslinux) it just takes me to a black screen that says "no bootable device found"

DId you do the repair disks? That's what made it work for me.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I just tried this on a Early 2011 13" Macbook Pro and I get the following error message when I boot up on your USB image... :(

I followed your instructions to the "T", and re-read them twice (and did the repair disk tip).

I wonder if it has anything to do with this Apple Support document

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks for any reply, IAN.

Attachments

• IMG_5413.JPG
    IMG_5413.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
I just tried this on a Early 2011 13" Macbook Pro and I get the following error message when I boot up on your USB image... :(

I followed your instructions to the "T", and re-read them twice (and did the repair disk tip).

I wonder if it has anything to do with this Apple Support document

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks for any reply, IAN.

I will attempt to boot this on my girlfriend's 2008 machine and see if I succeed, my USB thumb drive is still in the state I used it to do it on my own machine.

I will report back with any findings.

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
I wonder why some machines can boot externally off a USB key or a external SuperDrive?

I wish someone would find the reason why?

erlendsr

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
Trying to boot with USB

Macbook Pro 13, mid 2012, with EVO MZ 7TD500 SSD.

I have followed the guide to make a bootable USB, and I am able to boot from the stick.

On first boot I get only the rEFIt – once I run that and select "Boot Legacy …", the mac goes black and I have to force quit and start again. The second time, the "Windows" partition shows up, and when I boot from this partition, something happens. But very fast – I had to film it with the slow motion camera on my phone to capture the text.

It says:
SYSLINUX 3.05 2010-02-20 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Aavin et al
Loading memdisk..
Loading btdsk.img.......

And then it goes black. I've tried waiting for about 10 minutes, but nothing happens. And I've tried booting multiple times. Sometimes I see text, other times it just goes to black. And I've tried making the boot USB on three different sticks, just to make sure.

I've followed the guide thoroughly, and I ran "Repair disk" on both partitions on the USB.

What. Why. How. And again: why.

My SSD is down to 30-40mb write and 90 read, and this is extremely annoying.

Any brilliantly simple things I'm missing?

PS: Thank you for translating the french text, snarky69!

Last edited:

Simon68

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2014
It is definitely not working on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011).
Same error : "no bootable device found".
I am going to stay with EXT0BB6Q.

It is not the fault of your tutorial, I guess certain model of MBP just can't boot anything from USB. :apple:

erlendsr

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
I gave up on the USB approach, and put the SuperDrive back in my Mac and tried to boot from CD. That didn't do anything different, and I'm still stuck with an incredibly slow SSD. Crap.

Simon68

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2014
I gave up on the USB approach, and put the SuperDrive back in my Mac and tried to boot from CD. That didn't do anything different, and I'm still stuck with an incredibly slow SSD. Crap.

Seriously it is not that that slow, and btw it is only ~1% of all people who own a 840 EVO that are able (and think of) flashing the firmware of their SSD...

erlendsr

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
Well, it IS slow when my "regular" HDD writes twice as fast. Using the SSD with large files in Photoshop has become a pain, and is sort of the reason I bought it.

Simon68

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2014
Well, it IS slow when my "regular" HDD writes twice as fast. Using the SSD with large files in Photoshop has become a pain, and is sort of the reason I bought it.

The firmware will not fix your problem. The problem is only very old files on your system. If you think the file might be impacted, just copy it to a new location and work with it.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
OP, I assume this worked on your 2012 MBP, correct? about to give it a shot sometime soon, but need to move my stuff to the other mac, backup, yada yada.

option is to put the ssd in wife's mbp which still has the cdrom, but that's lame :D

snaky69

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
OP, I assume this worked on your 2012 MBP, correct? about to give it a shot sometime soon, but need to move my stuff to the other mac, backup, yada yada.

option is to put the ssd in wife's mbp which still has the cdrom, but that's lame :D

I wrote the tutorial as I was doing my own machine, so yes, it worked for me.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
odd. on my 2012 freedos boots, even without the refit thing, but always hangs on the last disk error (same as your picture). never gets to the 63 sec/track thing, just hangs.

tried other approaches, same stuff, always hangs there.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
wondering if the flashdrive is the issue here... I see you used a small one (1gb), the smallest i have here is 4gb... will try to find an old one somewhere.

Simon68

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2014
Will I lose my datas if I put the SSD into a Windows computer to do the firmware upgrade ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.