Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Finally threw in the towel on Vampire Diaries, feeling repetitious and musical chair like... :(

How far until it felt that way? My wife has been watching, and my assumption from the beginning was that the main girl who looks like the old split girlfriend was going to flit between the brothers, which is now happening.

At least the entire cast is hawt.

I can't get past how stupid all the vampires are if they've been alive for 100s of years.

I also can't sit through an episode. I'll have to go watch an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watched the first episode of Salem a 2014 series about 17th century Salem, Ma and the witch trials. Saw it on Netflix. It's been renewed for a second season on some network. I was really bugged that it features actors using modern English, along with demons and bad witches because I think the whole "witch trial" thing was based mostly on over-zealous religious hang ups and the vilifying of Paganism.

How far until it felt that way? My wife has been watching, and my assumption from the beginning was that the main girl who looks like the old split girlfriend was going to flit between the brothers, which is now happening.

At least the entire cast is hawt.

I can't get past how stupid all the vampires are if they've been alive for 100s of years.

I also can't sit through an episode. I'll have to go watch an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Felt that way during this last season. Yeah, Elena... People die, they come back, soap opera style, some new "thing" they have to find. We reached a point asking each other why are they looking for that thing? Whatever, they need it for something. The plot that really bugged me was for the "cure" a season or two ago, which resolved nothing...

Last edited:

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Felt that way during this last season. Yeah, Elena... People die, they come back, soap opera style, some new "thing" they have to find. We reached a point asking each other why are they looking for that thing? Whatever, they need it for something. The plot that really bugged me was for the "cure" a season or two ago, which resolved nothing...

I thought that was most of the episodes.

However, I found The Tick on Netflix. Too bad I can't watch it in front of my boys.

It's just a bit high in the adult humor department.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Finally threw in the towel on Vampire Diaries, feeling repetitious and musical chair like... :(

We felt the same, but lost interest in VD after season 4. It just became tedious and predictable. Never had any desire to watch the Originals spinoff either.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We felt the same, but lost interest in VD after season 4. It just became tedious and predictable. Never had any desire to watch the Originals spinoff either.

The show currently seems to be fueled by the charisma and likability of the characters/actors. The story seems all most inconsequential. I've figured out (I think lol) that the "other side" is some sort of purgatory for the super-natural, that is a intermediate step to no-**** death. That's why we have so many returnees. ;)

started watching Newsroom on HBO. almost done with season 1, i'm liking it so far

Newsroom is a really good show. The writing is creative and the characters are dynamic.

I may check this out. Recently in the PRSI section someone posted a Newsroom clip where Jeff Daniels explains why America is no longer number one. That grabbed my attention.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I may check this out. Recently in the PRSI section someone posted a Newsroom clip where Jeff Daniels explains why America is no longer number one. That grabbed my attention.

That clip is from the pilot episode. From your posts about TV I think you would really enjoy it.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I tried to watch the BBC America Cold War limited series The Game, but I could not understand the lead character's accent. That frustrated me as he was not only mumbling but I am usually just fine with deciphering British accents. The actor also was not very believable to to me, so that was another strike against.

Oh well. The Americans should be starting up again soon, so I can wait.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I tried to watch the BBC America Cold War limited series The Game, but I could not understand the lead character's accent. That frustrated me as he was not only mumbling but I am usually just fine with deciphering British accents. The actor also was not very believable to to me, so that was another strike against.

Oh well. The Americans should be starting up again soon, so I can wait.

Didn't think they did that on TV. ;) Years ago I listened to Christian Bale give an interview and could barely understand him- mumbling.

Last edited:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just finished True Detective. Amazing show. Awesome acting from MM and woody. I honestly think that in terms of acting/directing, the first season of true detective was better than any game of thrones season.

The wife and I binge watched True Detective over the holiday break. It was a good show and reminded me of The Killing. I hear they might be doing a second season with a different cast.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In general, I watch very little TV, but occasionally something is broadcast that is of interest to me. As I work abroad much of the time, I tend to miss the few programmes (other than news and current affairs) that catch my eye.

One such was broadcast earlier this year on the BBC and received excellent reviews. The cast was superb, and the history (and, as an historian by training, I am extraordinarily unforgiving of those shows which cheerfully murder historical events in order make stories less complicated and demanding for viewers) was solid.

Anyway, having missed the original show, I ordered the DVD from the BBC, and watched it last night and tonight.

Called '37 Days' the programme (in three parts) dealt with the period between the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo on June 28, 1914, and the formal declaration of war on August 4 by the UK. Basically, it is an excellent historical drama played as a political thriller of how Europe came to be at war, and it is simply first-rate.

A terrific cast (Tim Piggott-Smith plays H. H. Asquith, the Prime Minister, Sinead Cusack plays his wife, the wealthy, acerbic and clever Margot Asquith, while Ian McDiarmid is simply superb - absolutely outstanding - as Sir Edward Grey, the Foreign Secretary, Mark Lewis Jones as D. Lloyd George and Nicholas Asbury as a relatively young W. S. Churchill were excellent, as were the rest of the cast), extremely good script, and solid history made this an excellent show, one well worth watching.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just started watching Season 1 of The Killing last night. watched 2 episodes. Tonight, 2 more.

Excellent series, lots of intrigue and time devoted to relationships. FYI, the final short season (4) is to deal with ramifications from Season 3, on Netflix only and is worth watching. :)

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The wife and I binge watched True Detective over the holiday break. It was a good show and reminded me of The Killing. I hear they might be doing a second season with a different cast.

It’s pretty spectacular, Harrelson and McConaughey are masterful. I love how it was, not this but that, but it really is this ... but not really. Journey, not the destination, except it was. :D

Definitely a second season, different cast/location, same writer/creator Nic Pizzolatto, but a change up of directors, including rumors of William Friedkin!

Some of the current cast: Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn, Rachel McAdams

Farrell can obviously be very intense, and while a few people have said “Really?” over the Vince Vaughn casting, I think he will be outstanding, he has an intensity (see the SFS remake of Psycho...) I suspect he can channel into a dramatic role (let’s not forget Woody started out in a TV sitcom, did/does plenty of comedy, but was easily able to move on to roles like this, not to mention movies like Natural Born Killers, The Messenger)

Pretty stoked about Season 2.

Excellent series, lots of intrigue and time devoted to relationships. FYI, the final short season (4) is to deal with ramifications from Season 3, on Netflix only and is worth watching. :)

My main criticism - and the wife and I both dug on this show - was the meandering of S1 and S2, the long setup to +nothing+ in S1, then the extended finale across the whole of S2.

The original pitch was a new investigation every season (like the original), and when S1 didn’t end that first investigation, people were a little cranky.

S3 is very good and the Netflix only S4 is outstanding too. I think S1/S2 are pretty excellent too, some of the best acting on TV, and the interaction between Linden and Holder alone makes the series worth watching - however, I think there’s a _spectacular_ single season edit in the material of the first two seasons.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Killing Spoilers

My main criticism - and the wife and I both dug on this show - was the meandering of S1 and S2, the long setup to +nothing+ in S1, then the extended finale across the whole of S2.

The original pitch was a new investigation every season (like the original), and when S1 didn’t end that first investigation, people were a little cranky.

S3 is very good and the Netflix only S4 is outstanding too. I think S1/S2 are pretty excellent too, some of the best acting on TV, and the interaction between Linden and Holder alone makes the series worth watching - however, I think there’s a _spectacular_ single season edit in the material of the first two seasons.

Regarding The Killing, yes we were cranky too, too much of a good thing. Two seasons was too long for a single case and I think they paid for it. The fact that a single case is spread over en entire season allows for plenty of depth and exploration of characters that something like CSI or Law and Order don't have the time for.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Killing Spoilers

Regarding The Killing, yes we were cranky too, too much of a good thing. Two seasons was too long for a single case and I think they paid for it. The fact that a single case is spread over en entire season allows for plenty of depth and exploration of characters that something like CSI or Law and Order don't have the time for.

Yep, it would appear that True Detective will stick to this format where the American version of The Killing failed to do so. My wife and I were not "cranky", but we're very surprised when season 1 ended with a cliffhanger. We had heard such good things about the original series and it's one crime one season format.

It's an interesting discussion regarding which format is better. I've enjoyed shows like American Horror Story that do one story per season yet keep the same actors from season to season and put them in different roles. True Detective will apparently do one story, maintaining the genre, but change actors and characters. The Killing did three related stories across four seasons so almost one story per season with the same characters and actors. Bottom line, whichever format a show follows, if it is well done than I'll likely be a fan.

grizzlyedwin

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
Florida
Caught last nights episode of New Girl during my work break and it continues it's streak of finally getting back on track with solid episodes after the previous season which just wasn't that good imo.

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Canada
I'm watching The Affair. So far it's keeping my interest.

Also, I'm still into Homeland. I wasn't sure how the show would fare with Brody gone, but they added some interesting characters so it's still okay.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm watching The Affair. So far it's keeping my interest.

Also, I'm still into Homeland. I wasn't sure how the show would fare with Brody gone, but they added some interesting characters so it's still okay.

Homeland is my most anticipated show for the last 2 seasons. :)

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Canada

That was such a well done show. Really loved it. Hopefully Season 2 will be just as good. I don't know though since Colin Ferrell is playing lead. I feel he overacts and his emoting is sometimes over the top. We'll see. I'm not to keen on Elizabeth Moss joining the cast either.

----------

Homeland is my most anticipated show for the last 2 seasons. :)

Can't wait for Sunday's episode.

----------

Halt and Catch Fire -- OMG, that was the worst show. I couldn't stand any of the characters.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Started to binge watch Cinemax's Banshee today. Just a few episodes in, but so far so good. Pretty intense show with an interesting premise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.