Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
What temperature/how long do you bake this for? It's just a strip of bacon you curl around the edge of each opening, and then crack an egg in right?

Quoting myself from a post above :)

Saw this last but had to check with the wife this morning. :)

She microwaves the bacon for 2 minutes to get a little initial cook. The original recipe indicated 1 minute but that left the bacon a little undercooked. She mentioned about going even a little longer but you want to remain soft enough to be able to shape the cups (and it's going to cook again).

Then make the cups in a muffin tin, break an egg into each and cook for about 15 minutes on 350. Of course you'll want to experiment a touch with the cook time, our oven is pretty efficient (convection) so it's probably more like 15-18.

She's also done them with a little cheese sprinkled on top. :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
A nice glass of bacon

I took Mrs. Q out to dinner and found this on the menu.

bacon-bloody.jpg

Then I took her out for ice cream and they were featuring this flavor.

brown-butter-candied-bacon.jpg

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Love bacon. I recently read a funny saying that went something like this:

"There's people out there who don't eat bacon for religious reasons, I don't religion for bacon reasons"

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
What's the best way to remove bacon fat? I hate it with the meat and don't like picking it off of pizza, casseroles, burgers, etc.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
In a bakery over the weekend, and I saw a long john with that caramel colored frosting and a strip of bacon on top. Didn't try one.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
What's the best way to remove bacon fat? I hate it with the meat and don't like picking it off of pizza, casseroles, burgers, etc.

The best way to cook bacon to remove maximum fat, while leaving the meat portions tasty is to bake it in an oven on a wire rack, with a pan underneath to catch the drippings. Different sources have different opinions on temperature and time. From 400 degrees (F) for 15-20 minutes or 350 for 20-25 minutes, or 300 for 30 minutes, or even "170 for a couple hours" (although that wouldn't melt the fat, that's a method to KEEP the fat.)

The lower/slower will melt the fat away more evenly. And if you save the fat for cooking other things in, lower/slower will also produce "purer" fat, with almost no "crispy bits" in it.

Reactions: Dekema2

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I can't remember if I posted in this thread or not...

But a couple of years ago, I remember flipping on the Food Network, right before an episode of Iron Chef. They were actually talking about subscriptions to the Bacon of the Month Club. They loved it, but I totally forgot about it until now. Now I see this thread again, and am thinking about it, especially since last year, the wife and I thought about making our own burgers. Now that we've replaced a number of our skillets with those from Le Creuset, especially our skillet griddle (which can also double as a panini press), we're thinking of doing our own Applewood Smoked Bacon and Cheddar burgers. We may even try Pecanwood smoked bacon, but am not sure how the taste may work.

Either way, that type of burger, with taking either a Sweet Mayan or Sweet Vidalia onion to a mandolin, and sautee that with mushrooms... throw all of that on a fresh or toasted Hawaiian burger bun, and you don't even need condiments!

Now, that I think about it, I wonder how that may go with a Walla Walla onion... Sorry everyone.. digressing here. Bacon!

Bacon of The Month club. Isn't a bad thing. I wish it were priced a bit less, but from what we saw of it, bloody hell that looked good!

BL.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This whole situation is a scathing indictment of media alarmism. A number of sources are comparing bacon consumption to smoking. Nobody is doing that.

This is more on the level of alcohol's carcinogenic tendancies, but at the same time, I'm not even sure WHAT about bacon (curing chemicals, I suppose) is toxic. Call it "processed meats", but until I know what "process" is causing the issue, I'm not particularly concerned when I eat nitrate free uncured bacon.

Reactions: mojolicious

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
This has been known for 10 years. processed foods have nitrates which increase the risk of cancer. the need for instant gratification by the general public though will out-perform any warnings of detriment to health, no matter how urgent. the people who say "who cares ill die anyway" can enjoy swimming in their own fluids due the effects of heart failure after suffering multiple ischemic attacks, not to mention the increase carcinogenic risks.

Reactions: Richard8655

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I only buy one particular brand of bacon, Farmer John, thick cut. Simple stuff. There's this fantastic Asian grocery out in the valley that sells slabs of bacon fresh. You can either cure it yourself, have them slice it in thick cuts for you (tastes delicious pan fried) or you can slow smoke/cook it and chop it of for sandwiches. It does have the odd bone here and there though.

I've seen people who boil it part way, pat it dry and deep fry it in videos on YouTube. I've seen it done once at a fairground back in the 90s.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Does anyone here eat right bacon? Is it just me but this brand's bacon is taking longer to cook for some reason?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.