Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDFang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Hey all,

I know it's possible to get back the colorful sidebar icons and all, but what if I want to apply my own, custom icons to the sidebar items? All some Google searches turn up in the "colorful sidebar" stuff, which is not what I'm looking for.
Most of the sidebar items in question already have a custom icon for their actual folder, but of course that's not showing in the sidebar.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Markovich

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
Central Ohio
Hey all,

I know it's possible to get back the colorful sidebar icons and all, but what if I want to apply my own, custom icons to the sidebar items? All some Google searches turn up in the "colorful sidebar" stuff, which is not what I'm looking for.
Most of the sidebar items in question already have a custom icon for their actual folder, but of course that's not showing in the sidebar.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Try SideEffects at http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/43078/sideeffects
I have it on my ML install and it works fine, now I wish someone would do the same for the finder icons.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
As I stated, that just brings back the color in the items, which is not what I'm looking for,

??? I have a customised icon for my flash drive and SideEffects displays it correctly on the sidebar. I fail to see what else you might wish for.

MDFang

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
??? I have a customised icon for my flash drive and SideEffects displays it correctly on the sidebar. I fail to see what else you might wish for.
Oh, apologies, I always assumed that SideEffects just brought back the default icons in color, not that it would use the custom icons as in Snow Leopard!
Well it worked. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble!

SkyKraft09

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
Simply Easy!

It's simple!
Navigate to: System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle, Right Click, And click on Show Package Contents, then click on Contents/Resources, and you have found side bar Icons and Changing Folders, your Computer Design, and more! Make sure to back up your icons before you change them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.