Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
out of the blue my ipod will not sync to itunes v 11.4 running on my imac os 10.6.8. i hook it up, the ipod then says it's syncing for about 3 seconds and then says it is safe to eject. i tried wiping out everything on the ipod, but that didn't work. even completely empty it will not put music on the ipod. i'm stumped.

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
yes. i just tried syncing it to the other computer and the same thing happened. to make things worse, even though the ipod shows up in itunes, clicking on it to try managing it does not work at all. no response

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Put the iPod into disk mode and use a disk checking utility to verify the drive's integrity.

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
i put it into disk mode and ran Disk Warrior on it. said no problems found, rebuilt the directory anyway because it's not like i had any data to lose. restarted computer and ipod only to get the same result- no music being synced

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
i have it in disk mode right now but when i hook it up to the computer, it doesn't show up in itunes so i disconnected it, closed itunes, reopened itunes, reconnected the ipod, and it still does not show up. ipod says, from disk mode, "ok to disconnect"

saxman211

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Wow... I'm having the same problem... It basically deleted all the contents from my iPod and gave me a 1429 error. I started from disk, but it still isn't reading my iPod... I truly hope this isn't Apple's way of shutting down the iPod classic. That would suck...

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Classic Issues?

Wow... I'm having the same problem... It basically deleted all the contents from my iPod and gave me a 1429 error. I started from disk, but it still isn't reading my iPod... I truly hope this isn't Apple's way of shutting down the iPod classic. That would suck...

The Apple support community page has numerous posts related to basically the same issues. Even if it is not an intentional effort to jettison the Classics , the result is the same. An iTunes bug that only affects iPod Classics may not be addressed until the next iTunes update; if ever at all.

Hopefully it is not iTunes causing all the issues. Keep us updated with your situation. Good luck.

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
so that's it? we're at the mercy of the next itunes update? if this renders my classic obsolete i'll never buy another apple product again.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I recently had this issue with my old 80 Gb classic. I had to restore as a new iPod, which was a shame because I lost the ability to sync contacts and calendars, a feature that has been removed from iPod firmware and iTunes for this model. Restoring did solve the general sync issue though.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
For some reason iTunes won't read my iPod Classic either. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2 Beta.

muttsrule

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
ipods not syncing

The Apple support community page has numerous posts related to basically the same issues. Even if it is not an intentional effort to jettison the Classics , the result is the same. An iTunes bug that only affects iPod Classics may not be addressed until the next iTunes update; if ever at all.

Hopefully it is not iTunes causing all the issues. Keep us updated with your situation. Good luck.

I don't believe the not-syncing issue is limited to Classics. I have Classics, Nanos, and Shuffles: none of them are syncing. My iPhone 5s, however, is syncing. This issue appeared after I installed the latest Yosemite Beta, 10.10.2.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
For some reason iTunes won't read my iPod Classic either. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2 Beta.

I don't believe the not-syncing issue is limited to Classics. I have Classics, Nanos, and Shuffles: none of them are syncing. My iPhone 5s, however, is syncing. This issue appeared after I installed the latest Yosemite Beta, 10.10.2.

I was wondering if that was the problem. Updated a few days ago and I just tried to sync both my iPods. Neither one will show up in iTunes.

I've tried my iPod Classic (brand new), 80GB iPod video, and an iPod touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1). All show up on the desktop and are accessible there, but nothing in iTunes. Hope they get this fixed ASAP. I understand it's a beta, so that's fine, lets just hope they get it fixed before the final or I'm sure we'll all hear about it.

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I recently had this issue with my old 80 Gb classic. I had to restore as a new iPod, which was a shame because I lost the ability to sync contacts and calendars, a feature that has been removed from iPod firmware and iTunes for this model. Restoring did solve the general sync issue though.

OP here. i've tried restoring at least 3X and it's never worked. i'll see my ipod in itunes, select Sync, and then within 3 seconds it says the sync is complete but my ipod has no music on it. any one else have any suggestions before i smash this thing?

muttsrule

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
iPods not syncing after beta install

I was wondering if that was the problem. Updated a few days ago and I just tried to sync both my iPods. Neither one will show up in iTunes.

I've tried my iPod Classic (brand new), 80GB iPod video, and an iPod touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1). All show up on the desktop and are accessible there, but nothing in iTunes. Hope they get this fixed ASAP. I understand it's a beta, so that's fine, lets just hope they get it fixed before the final or I'm sure we'll all hear about it.

Are your ipods still not syncing? None of mine are.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Are your ipods still not syncing? None of mine are.

They weren't when I was on the beta, up to yesterday. Classic, video, touch, nada. I heard some say the iPhone would still connect, or use WiFi sync. But for my Classics it was a no go. They'll probably release another beta soon enough to fix it though.

It works fine now, but I completely reformatted my MacBook and went back to Mavericks. Everything works as it should now. Aperture and iTunes included. It's smoother too animations wise. I'll probably go back to Yosemite after a few point releases, or whatever is next. But for now I'm enjoying having the UI of Mavericks back. Everything seems so much more detailed and legible IMO. Not that Yosemite is terrible or anything. Just a preference.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Is the iPod showing in Finder and in the Mac desktop but won't show up in iTunes? I'm having the same exact problem. There's a thread on Apple Support forums with this issue here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6607743?start=0&tstart=0

Whats weird is my iPod touch 2nd gen works but my classic does not. I've always safe removed my Classic and it works on my PC, I tested it. It only doesn't work on my Mac.

muttsrule

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
They weren't when I was on the beta, up to yesterday. Classic, video, touch, nada. I heard some say the iPhone would still connect, or use WiFi sync. But for my Classics it was a no go. They'll probably release another beta soon enough to fix it though.

It works fine now, but I completely reformatted my MacBook and went back to Mavericks. Everything works as it should now. Aperture and iTunes included. It's smoother too animations wise. I'll probably go back to Yosemite after a few point releases, or whatever is next. But for now I'm enjoying having the UI of Mavericks back. Everything seems so much more detailed and legible IMO. Not that Yosemite is terrible or anything. Just a preference.

Thanks very much for answering me. I am not confident enough to uninstall/reinstall the OS, but it's good to know your doing so fixed the problem. I'll be waiting (somewhat) patiently for the OS update.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Thanks very much for answering me. I am not confident enough to uninstall/reinstall the OS, but it's good to know your doing so fixed the problem. I'll be waiting (somewhat) patiently for the OS update.

Looks like they just pushed an update to the 10.10.2 beta. Perhaps that will contain a fix for us classic users? Someone install it and report back please :)

I may just keep Mavericks anyway though. Aperture sure is a lot more stable on it. Kept freezing like crazy under Yosemite, even after their patch. Same with iMovie and FCPX.

Anyway, hope this fixes it. If not, they've still got more betas :cool:

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Looks like they just pushed an update to the 10.10.2 beta. Perhaps that will contain a fix for us classic users? Someone install it and report back please :)

I may just keep Mavericks anyway though. Aperture sure is a lot more stable on it. Kept freezing like crazy under Yosemite, even after their patch. Same with iMovie and FCPX.

Anyway, hope this fixes it. If not, they've still got more betas :cool:

10.10.2 beta 2 does in fact fix the iPod Classic sync bug! :D I can confirm. I just downloaded it, installed and just synced my iPod Classic!

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Excellent! I figured it would, good to see that it does.

Apparently enough people still have iPod classics :) Shame they had to kill it. There's still a sliver of hope inside for a high capacity flash based replacement.

Found this older concept. A slim, 128/256GB flash model iPod classic with a higher res screen, lightning, speakers, and Gorilla Glass 4 or aluminum would be pretty slick. I wouldn't care about iOS or WiFi. But if they threw in a scaled down version of iOS similar to the Watch OS's lightweight footprint that'd be great too. But not too slim, we need a decent battery in there :rolleyes:.

iPod-classic-mockup-Guilherme-Schasiepen-001.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.