Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aj350z

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
I have MetaX and I loved the program and used it a lot in Leopard. Since upgrading to Snow Leopard when i import a movie and tag it, it wont play in Quicktime or iTunes. Luckily i still have the file before i tagged it and that file is working perfectly fine. Any suggestions??? Is it snow leopard? Thanks for any help.

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
I'm fairly sure it isn't Snow Leopard. Mine works perfectly. Will the files themselves play in iTunes before you tag them?

aj350z

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Here is a step by step on how i have done it...

1) DVD into handbrake and encode using "AppleTV" preset

2) Test in Quicktime 10

3) If it plays correctly i toss into MetaX and tag it

4) Copy into iTunes and sync with AppleTV

However with this movie (The Island) and Shrek 2 they wont play after being tagged. They both played correctly in Quicktime and iTunes before the tagging. Using Handbrake SVN 2829 i386 and MetaX 2.4.6

This has only occurred after i installed SL.

SurfMacJpMtb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
USA
Which version of Handbrake?

I have had trouble with MetaX and Lostify when tagging files converted by Handbrake 093 and the SVN.

I now use Subler to tag Handbrake generated files. It is tougher to select all the fields but sure writes the changes to the file quickly.

aj350z

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
My handbrake is version 0.9.3 SVN2829 i386. Same version i was using in Leopard. Doesn't make sense. I love the load times in SL but some of the programs and codecs are missing and its a real bummer. Why would it work in Quicktime X before the tagging and not after?

Doesn't MetaX only tag the file and not change the codec?

mau1dog

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
I am having the same problem and seems to have just started recently. I am also using snow leopard and both 0.9.3 and SVN versions of handbrake rips are being corrupted with metax. I dont think it is handbrake...movie plays fine before tagging, it is only after tagging does the movie becomes unplayable.

Not sure what has changed but rather spending much time trying to figure it out, i am open to any alternatives to metax....any suggestions?

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
It's a metax problem not SL.

I've been having the same problem with my recently converted movies (using the latest snapshot of Handbrake). After running it through metax, the video comes out all black with no sound. If possible use metax on the windows side. It tags A LOT faster and it hasn't corrupted a file yet.

mau1dog

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
Thanks for the Vidalin tip. Tried it today with 2 files at a once...maybe a little slow when writing (although i was writing to external HD) but it has a simple and clean interface and best of all the movies still played after tagging!! Glad to find alternative to Metax. It was wearing me out even when it was not corrupting files because the "lookup" seemed to never find my movies and i had to enter all tags manually anyway. No problem with Vidalin so far...huge fan at the moment. Thanks again!!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It was wearing me out even when it was not corrupting files because the "lookup" seemed to never find my movies and i had to enter all tags manually anyway. No problem with Vidalin so far...huge fan at the moment. Thanks again!!

This has been an issue for a while now--apparently the developer of the OS X version is no longer supporting it and when tagChimp changed their guidelines back in February, MetaX Mac no longer met these guidelines no new submissions and as a result your not going to find any of the newer movies are going to match--or something to that affect (this was taken directly from the tagChimp.com site/forums). Supposedly there was also an issue with Amazon so right now, OS X users of MetaX are SOL. You can still populate the fields yourself and as it sounds like you need to do that anyways with the other options I've seen mentioned (Lostify, Vidalin, Subler), I'm sticking with MetaX, especially since most of the stuff I've been encoding isn't brand new.

Also, strange about the corrupted files--just checked a bunch of movies I've tagged over the past few weeks and all played in QuickTime X (encoded to .m4v using Handbrake version 0.9.3 (2008112300) in SL 10.6.2)

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
You can still populate the fields yourself and as it sounds like you need to do that anyways with the other options I've seen mentioned (Lostify, Vidalin, Subler), I'm sticking with MetaX, especially since most of the stuff I've been encoding isn't brand new.

Hmmm, I thought Vidalin had the capability to "lookup" the info by hitting a button. Not true? And I thought I read somewhere the dev is actively improving the tool, trying to make it better.

And while it's hard to complain about a free tool like MetaX, I have to admit I always sweated when I used it. Whether it was corrupted files, crashes halfway through writing, and/or longstanding bugs..I was hoping Vidalin could replace it. Bummer if it can't do auto lookups...guess I'll find out this weekend..

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Hmmm, I thought Vidalin had the capability to "lookup" the info by hitting a button. Not true? And I thought I read somewhere the dev is actively improving the tool, trying to make it better.

And while it's hard to complain about a free tool like MetaX, I have to admit I always sweated when I used it. Whether it was corrupted files, crashes halfway through writing, and/or longstanding bugs..I was hoping Vidalin could replace it. Bummer if it can't do auto lookups...guess I'll find out this weekend..

Well I stand corrected--just downloaded Vidalin and it in fact does have a lookup feature. May have to give it a try on my next encode.

mau1dog

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
The lookup feature in Vidalin works great for me so far. I have done 5 files since I installed yesterday....all of them spot on.

wipedaler

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
USA
Just updating a few things since this thread still pops up on searches.

Vidalin is discontinued according to MacUpdate.
TagChimp is also no longer running. http://www.tagchimp.com
MetaX appears to have been replaced by MetaZ (MacUpdate); MetaZ indicates a release in Nov 2013

A Windows Program called ChapterGrabber seems to do well extracting the chapters (time and chapter number) from a VTS file, provided you choose the right one.
>> Is there a similar utility for the Mac?

Feed that information to ChapterDB.org to share the info.

Using ChapterDB.org, if you can find a DVD that has the correct chapter titles, copy the URL and past it in this converter that will take a ChapterDB URL and save a csv file in your downloads folder. You can then import the chapter titles into Handbrake for a 'more complete' movie file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.