Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
Strange occurrence. I have a mid-2011 MacBook Air that for the past few weeks has shown a "service battery" indication and seems to be holding its charge less frequently, though I'm not really sure how to accurately measure this.

My AppleCare expires in two weeks. Any thoughts on whether this issue is serviceable under AppleCare, or will I have to go out of pocket?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 12.41.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 12.41.13 PM.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 934

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Strange occurrence. I have a mid-2011 MacBook Air that for the past few weeks has shown a "service battery" indication and seems to be holding its charge less frequently, though I'm not really sure how to accurately measure this.

My AppleCare expires in two weeks. Any thoughts on whether this issue is serviceable under AppleCare, or will I have to go out of pocket?

If you have AppleCare and the device itself is telling you to get some service, I can't imagine Apple not paying for said service.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

The "Service Battery" indication appears when there is a problem with the battery, and also when the battery health drops below 80%. If you have AppleCare, it should cover either situation, since your cycle count is below 1000. Take it to Apple.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Ya, uhm. You have apple care, which you paid for, exactly for this reason.
Take it to the store as soon as possible.

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Ya, uhm. You have apple care, which you paid for, exactly for this reason.
Take it to the store as soon as possible.

Second this advice, perfect time to get a new battery, right before Apple Care runs out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.