Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guardsix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I'm not trying to make a deal on MacRumors. I just need some candid pricing suggestions.

As above with these specs:
Hi-res glossy display
2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
2 Graphics cards: Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024MB
Backlit Keyboard

I moved the 500GB 7,200 rpm original hard drive to the optical drive location. I inserted a new Crucial M4 256GB SSD in place of the hard drive.

I've also upgraded the memory to 8GB, again using Crucial memory.

I've included an Apple USB SuperDrive as part of the deal. The battery was replaced in 2013.

All of these mods are normal user doable changes.

This is a very nice machine. It has been well taken care of with no visible stuffing or marks.

What would you ask for this? Thanks for your opinion!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), and Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc. You can also check the Apple refurbished store to see what similar models are selling for.

Guardsix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
San Antonio, TX
The problem is that I have a custom configuration that is not listed on any site. At Mac2Sell I was quoted a price of $1250, yet at Gazelle I got a quote of $456.

Something is definitely screwy. I will just list for what I think I need.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'd be surprised if you got more than 800 for it (sterling not dollars). Plus that model supports lower RAM speed and has an issue with the graphics cards. They're nowhere near as desirable as the 15" 2012 cMBP. Even those aren't selling for much these days.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
I have the same machine, it is a time bomb. (Radeongate)
If it is working great, just keep it. It's difficult to sell, and it is a very performing machine. It's faster than the fastest mac mini, and between this machine and a 2014 retina MBP there is not much difference in computing power.
Keep it until it dies.
The upgrades don't add much value, I would say maybe $100.

----------

I moved the 500GB 7,200 rpm original hard drive to the optical drive location. I inserted a new Crucial M4 256GB SSD in place of the hard drive.

Are you sure it is not a 750GB HD? or maybe 512MB of video (HD6490)?

qunsuiday

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2014
They're nowhere near as desirable as the 15" 2012 cMBP. Even those aren't selling for much these days.
f083

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Ask $800, accept anything over $600, if you get an offer for even that much.

Radeongate awareness exists in the used market, and the 2011 models have cratered price-wise, upgrades or not.

Guardsix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for the Replies!

Great! This is what I wanted to here. I really didn't want to sell my MacBook Pro anyway. It's working just great and probably will for quite a long time yet.

I haven't seen any kind of graphics glitches and I do play some games on this machine. I am aware of Apple ignoring all the other Early 2011 graphics card failures but this one seems to be one of the better one.

Again, thanks for the responses.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
The problem is that I have a custom configuration that is not listed on any site. At Mac2Sell I was quoted a price of $1250, yet at Gazelle I got a quote of $456.

Something is definitely screwy. I will just list for what I think I need.

Mac2Sell is terrible in my experience. Apple used to sell those refurbished starting around $1200 with a year warranty, so that pricing isn't likely to be accurate. Gazelle is a reseller, so their quotes have to be lower than market value. Otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

Great! This is what I wanted to here. I really didn't want to sell my MacBook Pro anyway. It's working just great and probably will for quite a long time yet.

I haven't seen any kind of graphics glitches and I do play some games on this machine. I am aware of Apple ignoring all the other Early 2011 graphics card failures but this one seems to be one of the better one.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Mine (17 early 2011) died with no warning, so never make assumptions. I hope you have better luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.