Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milky23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
I can't help but feel slightly jipped by Apple. Rewind back to a few months ago. Here is Apple, touting this fantastic machine with a great value. I buy it shortly after. Now, hardly...what...4 months later, there's a new iMac that is 2x as fast, and all Apple can say is how much better this new one is?

I dunno, I guess my main beef is, if Apple knew they were going to release a much better Intel iMac so soon after the iMac iSight, then I feel a little bit deceived and taken advantage of.

I apologize if this is hard to read and/or poorly written; I havn't had too much time to articulate my thoughts yet.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Yeah, I know where you're coming from - that iMac w/ FrontRow was a solid upgrade, and now Apple has released an even more amazing upgrade. Unfortunately, that's the way things go in this wonderful world of technology. At the end of the day though, at least take some solace in the fact that you have an amazing machine, and it is not magically slower or broken now that these Intel iMacs are out. You have a great machine, and it's always going to be obsolete the day you buy it - in this case, the next update happened sooner rather than later on you. :cool:

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
Bought my new iMac 20" in December. I feel OK though. Want to see the Intel transition through a while before I go get one. Perhaps in another year or so when there is an enclosure change. My machine rocks and eveything new works on it and I suspect will for some time to come.

With that said, I bought one of the rev. B iMac in early October just days before the new iSight iMac was introduced. I sold that one in December to get this baby. :D

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
milky23 said:
I can't help but feel slightly jipped by Apple. Rewind back to a few months ago. Here is Apple, touting this fantastic machine with a great value. I buy it shortly after. Now, hardly...what...4 months later, there's a new iMac that is 2x as fast, and all Apple can say is how much better this new one is?

I dunno, I guess my main beef is, if Apple knew they were going to release a much better Intel iMac so soon after the iMac iSight, then I feel a little bit deceived and taken advantage of.

I apologize if this is hard to read and/or poorly written; I havn't had too much time to articulate my thoughts yet.

are you even close to wringing out every last ounce of performance on the G5 iMac?

it's kinda like a sports car guy driving a 996 porsche turbo thinking he needs an upgrade because the 997 Turbo is coming out soon.

it's understandable to want the latest shiz, but dude, there's plenty to grow in the existing unit.

u know what i'm saying?

use it. enjoy it. you are blessed to even be able to afford a toy/luxury like this. could be worse. keep it in perspective my friend.

dank

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2005
Canada
don't be sad

milky23 said:

I would say you did right thing. I would not dare buy new Intel machine yet, at least another year. I was waiting what comes out for my product line (PowerBook) and now I know next will be 17" PowerBook with Intel, I am planning to buy now. I mean I want to buy last one of PowerPC machine, so I can wait all problems are solved. As in past big jump, like from 68040 to PowerPC or OSX jump, they will have big problem, and software to be run in native mode. I will give a year to Apple and software maker to sort out. Then I will buy Intel 17" PowerBook then. Probably second generation by then. I have upgraded in less than year in past 10 years. My life ( job) depends on it, so I cannot take risk of software not running properly.
dank

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
BENJMNS said:
are you even close to wringing out every last ounce of performance on the G5 iMac?

it's kinda like a sports car guy driving a 996 porsche turbo thinking he needs an upgrade because the 997 Turbo is coming out soon.

it's understandable to want the latest shiz, but dude, there's plenty to grow in the existing unit.

u know what i'm saying?

use it. enjoy it. you are blessed to even be able to afford a toy/luxury like this. could be worse. keep it in perspective my friend.

Sorry, if that were the case people would not be hounding companies to make faster computers. Even the fastest computer available today under $6K is still slow. Takes forever to compile code. Takes forever to encode video, takes forever to transfer files, takes too long to boot up.

When computers do all this in seconds, then we can say there is no reason to upgrade. We got many yrs to go. I want this stuff now. I'm not getting any younger. Damn if I am gonna finally get a fast computer that does this stuff quick and I'm 75yrs old and picking out burial plots.

The imac G5 is a dog. Any computer with a single processor is a dog. A computer with 2 processors is just a faster dog but he saves time getting the bone.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MacTruck said:
When computers do all this in seconds, then we can say there is no reason to upgrade. We got many yrs to go. I want this stuff now. I'm not getting any younger.

True, but where would you draw the line? When would you say a computer is fast enough? When you can encode an entire DVD in 2 seconds? How about 9 hours of HD content on a Blu Ray disc then? Would you want that done in 2 seconds as well? How about rendering Toy Story 3? A minute? When will that be feasible? My point is, there will always be processor-intensive tasks that will take time to do. If you're waiting until everything can be done instantaneously, you and your children will have come and gone before that is anywhere near being fully realized. ;) :cool:

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
milky23 said:

Getting back to the OP how on earth were you deceived? And since when do computers not get updated AT LEAST once a year? Four months ago you bought a new computer, the latest and greatest. Well, time goes by and updates are made and more computers are pumped out. Technology progresses. It's just a fact. I fail to see where you were deceived by Apple, they had every right to tout their machines as the best. They were, are, and always will be. Try to look on the bright side. You have a machine that a lot of people can't even afford. You have something others would give an arm and a leg for. Just be happy with your Apple.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
milky23 said:

Sorry, but boo hoo.

Quit living in this "boy it would be nice to have that NEW machine" world and enjoy what you have.

traiecto

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
barcelona
unlucky (?) and undecided

My "new" iMac iSight 20" (G5, not Intel) is on its way from the factory and it will be delivered tomorrow (was busy checking delivery when the Intel core announcement came through!)
According to Apple, I can try this baby out for a couple of days, and if I'm still not happy, can request a (free of charge) replacement for one of the "newer" Intel duo.
Whilst I enjoy more power, more speed just like anyone, the thought of letting go what is still a new machine for a cutting edge technology not tried and tested scares me (bled before from the said sharp cutting edge)..
Then again.. "everyone" seems to be raving around here and elsewhere about the new processor.. Intel does make good chips.
Then again... everyone that I know and owns a G5 is extremely happy with it. It's tried, tested and it's a very good machine.

Any comments and thoughts would me most appreciated....

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
iGary said:
Sorry, but boo hoo.

Quit living in this "boy it would be nice to have that NEW machine" world and enjoy what you have.

How was your vacation?:eek:

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I really don't like these sorta of threads. This is the Computer world people and its been like this for years. The next update is always around the corner. Steve Jobs and crew don't wake up one day and say "Lets update the iMac" As soon as they finish updating the machine they start on the next update. You don't think that as I am typing this that work isn't already underway for the Rev B Intel iMac? I will never understand some people. When they last updated the iBook, it was about 9 months and people complained it was too long. When they updated the iMac/15" Powerbook it was just under 3 months or so people complain that it was too short. That is where you get an average for Apple for about 6 months between updates. The Rev C iMac is a great computer and will last years. Be happy with what you have. You don't need the latest and greatest. MS Office and Photoshop run better on the Rev C PowerPC then the Rev A Intel until they are updated with universal Binaries.

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
I guess Apple must have misled you by hiding the fact that they were moving to Intel chips in the upcoming months?

I never understood this sort of logic... Is your computer somehow slower now that there is a new one? Does it not do what you bought it for?

You do know that Apple is a company, right? And, companies are there to make money by selling products and convincing you that the latest product they released is the greatest one they have ever produced.

It is not Apple's (or any other company's) job to make you an educated consumer...

/excuse me as I go back to listening to my 4 year old iPod...

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
jadekitty24 said:
Well, time goes by and updates are made and more computers are pumped out.
This is spot on.

Now that we are in the Intel camp, I expect we will see more frequent update/upgrades more like on the PC side of the house.

To the OP and others who believe the same, suggest that you get used to this change!

BTW, I think this is wonderful vice the way it used to be waiting and waiting and waiting for updates/upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.