Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Well finally finished my Classic upgrade. No moving parts and quite speedy.

1 Brand new iPod Classic 7.5g 160GB
1 Tarkan CF-SDXC Adapter bundle
1 PNY 256GB SDXC
1 256GB Metal backing thin
1 Zagg Invisible Shield full body cover

20141123_102129_zps44e56c28.jpg

20141123_102203_zpsff45330d.jpg

IMG_20141123_123242_zps0605fe2e.jpg

Last edited:

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I have the latest generation that Apple made on the Classic before they axed it. Do you need to install custom firmware to have 256GB?

Do you use iTunes to sync up music or another application?

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I have the latest generation that Apple made on the Classic before they axed it. Do you need to install custom firmware to have 256GB?

Do you use iTunes to sync up music or another application?

I am running the last Classic before the axe. 160GB thin. I am using stock iPod software and iTunes to sync.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
iFlash SD-CF Adapter Bundle
[ Ships within 1 to 3 days ]

So this bundle plus the SD card is the only thing required? Do u need to order the HD ribbon cable?

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
iFlash SD-CF Adapter Bundle
[ Ships within 1 to 3 days ]

So this bundle plus the SD card is the only thing required? Do u need to order the HD ribbon cable?

If you keep the thin profile and do not update the battery to a bigger battery all you need is the Bundle and the SD card.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
where did you find a brand new ipod classic?

Had my 11 month old 7.5g that I busted trying to do the mod. Put it back together and had them replace it under my warranty.

----------

I just want the same stock thickness, don't need a larger battery since I use mine on my car headunit.

The bundle and SD card are all you need besides the tools to open the Classic up. I went the extra mile and got the matching 256GB metal back to make it a bit more OEM looking.

fascat

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Looks great. Thanks for posting the links to the items you used to do the upgrade. I'm thinking of doing the upgrade to mine as well. You mentioned you broke one doing the mod. What broke on it? Do you have any tips/suggestions to do this mod? I would appreciate it.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Looks great. Thanks for posting the links to the items you used to do the upgrade. I'm thinking of doing the upgrade to mine as well. You mentioned you broke one doing the mod. What broke on it? Do you have any tips/suggestions to do this mod? I would appreciate it.

The only thing I broke was the clasp holding the battery cable to the main board. I guess I put too much pressure to release the cable and snapped it.

fascat

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
The only thing I broke was the clasp holding the battery cable to the main board. I guess I put too much pressure to release the cable and snapped it.

That is not bad. I hope to do this mod to mine. I'm a little nervous to get the case apart. Got an suggestions to make that as an easy process as possible?

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
That is not bad. I hope to do this mod to mine. I'm a little nervous to get the case apart. Got an suggestions to make that as an easy process as possible?

I just watched youtube vids on how to do so. I did not care how scratched the original housing was as I changed it for the 256GB designation.

fascat

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
I just watched youtube vids on how to do so. I did not care how scratched the original housing was as I changed it for the 256GB designation.

My concern is breaking/scratching the front part of the case. How are the headphone jack and hold switch held on the back case? Are they difficult to remove and install on the new back? I appreciate all your suggestions.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
My concern is breaking/scratching the front part of the case. How are the headphone jack and hold switch held on the back case? Are they difficult to remove and install on the new back? I appreciate all your suggestions.

They are held down with adhesive and relatively easy to pry off.

How did you get Apple to agree to replace your original iPod after you had opened and then broke it?

I put it back together and brought it in.

----------

noodles, you've done something to be proud of there.

Thank you.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Cool! Looks great!

Also, what's up with the different phones in the pictures (not trying to be nosey or anything)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.