Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elmzeh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
London
Hey Guys,

As we're coming towards the end of the year and 2015 is in sight I'm keen to find out what your thoughts are on the best Mac games of 2014?

Ideally I'm keen to hear what you've really enjoyed that was release for Mac OS X this year! If you could respond in a similar format to the below it would be great (1 being your favourite game and 5 being the last favourite).

Here's mine:

1) Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
2) Game of Thrones
3) Hearthstone
4) Hitman: Absolution
5) LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes

Look forward to hearing what you all think!

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
The Banner Saga was a pretty good osx game. It had great animations. The only thing that I didnt like about it was lack of enemy types. Its to bad really. the game bastion did the same thing. wonderful game but basically 2 to 3 enemy types. After killing the same creature 45 times it gets old.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
The Warlords of Draenor expansion to World of Warcraft. It is the best expansion Blizzard has made for the game and has brought subscriptions up from a low of around 6 million during the Cataclysm expansion to currently over ten million which is pretty amazing for a 10 year old MMO that still commands a monthly subscription unlike most others. There is a reason for all of this. It is a truly great and highly entertaining game for those who enjoy an MMO theme park that offers something for everyone from pve to pvp to questing, dungeons, raiding, crafting, world events, holiday events, pet battles (pokemon), the awesome new garrisons feature, great lore and storyline with excellent cut scenes and more.

I love gaming on my Mac but once again, WoW is stealing most of my entertainment time because it is just so much fun to be in that world with so much fun stuff to do and with friends in my guild which I've belonged to for eight years now.

wetcanvas

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
The Warlords of Draenor expansion to World of Warcraft. It is the best expansion Blizzard has made for the game and has brought subscriptions up from a low of around 6 million during the Cataclysm expansion to currently over ten million which is pretty amazing for a 10 year old MMO that still commands a monthly subscription unlike most others. There is a reason for all of this. It is a truly great and highly entertaining game for those who enjoy an MMO theme park that offers something for everyone from pve to pvp to questing, dungeons, raiding, crafting, world events, holiday events, pet battles (pokemon), the awesome new garrisons feature, great lore and storyline with excellent cut scenes and more.

I love gaming on my Mac but once again, WoW is stealing most of my entertainment time because it is just so much fun to be in that world with so much fun stuff to do and with friends in my guild which I've belonged to for eight years now.

I tried to get back into warcraft but the community failed me. I had a first toon that i leveled to the cap tried to get into a guild but only offers i would get was low level guilds. The few times a guild with enough high level people to raid would ask me what kind of gear i had. then when they found out I had non dungeon gear they refused. I left for 2 years and came back. Had to start over again because I lost my log in info. Leveled a toon again then tried to get go on raids. same thing happened. the raid would ask me what kind of gear I had and since I had no raid experience they didnt want me. so I just gave up and quit after 2 weeks of the same thing getting refused because of equipment.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I tried to get back into warcraft but the community failed me. I had a first toon that i leveled to the cap tried to get into a guild but only offers i would get was low level guilds. The few times a guild with enough high level people to raid would ask me what kind of gear i had. then when they found out I had non dungeon gear they refused. I left for 2 years and came back. Had to start over again because I lost my log in info. Leveled a toon again then tried to get go on raids. same thing happened. the raid would ask me what kind of gear I had and since I had no raid experience they didnt want me. so I just gave up and quit after 2 weeks of the same thing getting refused because of equipment.

I just run warcraft solo, what I cannot do I just leave behind, I still have fun :) and not reliant on anyone else, wear what I like and go where I like and do what like :)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Hey Guys,

As we're coming towards the end of the year and 2015 is in sight I'm keen to find out what your thoughts are on the best Mac games of 2014?

Ideally I'm keen to hear what you've really enjoyed that was release for Mac OS X this year! If you could respond in a similar format to the below it would be great (1 being your favourite game and 5 being the last favourite).

Here's mine:

2) Game of Thrones
3) Hearthstone
4) Hitman: Absolution
5) LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes

Look forward to hearing what you all think!

I have to agree with you about Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Some folks have criticized it for not being as long as Borderlands 2, which has even led others to call it a Borderlands 2 DLC, not a full game.

Is it shorter? Yes. In playtime, but not in level ups. After two playthroughs, most good players will come out at about level 50, which is the current level cap. On the 16th will come the second DLC - The Holodome Onslaught and the UVHM level cap increase, plus 10 more levels. If you've got the Season Pass, this should just download and self-install with the game update on the 16th.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut. Fantastically written, very atmospheric, quite old-school, great plot with twists that you don't see coming a mile away, companion characters and some NPCs you actually care about - despite some quibbles definitely one of my most favourite RPGs in years.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut. Fantastically written, very atmospheric, quite old-school, great plot with twists that you don't see coming a mile away, companion characters and some NPCs you actually care about - despite some quibbles definitely one of my most favourite RPGs in years.

I read the reviews that the original (Kickstarter release) campaign was a bit too short. Have they added DLCs and some expansions to this game?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I read the reviews that the original (Kickstarter release) campaign was a bit too short. Have they added DLCs and some expansions to this game?
Dragonfall was originally DLC for Shadowrun Returns. It then got a stand-alone re-release this year. And yes, it's much, much longer: my single playthrough of Dragonfall clocked in at 40 hours, compared to something around 15 for SRR.

And since Dragonfall is less linear than Returns (you have to make several decisions throughout the game that can influence anything from the current mission to significant portions of the later parts), you could squeeze out many hours more by picking other choices.

Elmzeh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
London
Update

Awesome! Thanks for the responses so far everyone. So as it stands the list is currently looking like this...

- Borderlands: The Pre Sequel (2 Votes)
- World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor (2 Votes)
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall (1 Vote)
- The Banner Saga (1 Vote)

Ideally I'd like to arrange them in a top 5 format so keep your suggestions coming and I'll gather your votes as we go along before creating the final top 5 list!

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Dragonfall was originally DLC for Shadowrun Returns. It then got a stand-alone re-release this year. And yes, it's much, much longer: my single playthrough of Dragonfall clocked in at 40 hours, compared to something around 15 for SRR.

And since Dragonfall is less linear than Returns (you have to make several decisions throughout the game that can influence anything from the current mission to significant portions of the later parts), you could squeeze out many hours more by picking other choices.

Ah gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
blizzard is the best when it comes to mac games.

i play diablo 3, hearthstone, starcraft 2 and soon heroes of the storm.

my letdowns of the year are civilisation beyond earth, hex and scrolls. all three disasters in execution and gameplay design.

edit: so for 2014 i choose

1) hearthstone
2) diablo 3 reaper of souls

Last edited:

Ainze

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Tomb Raider. I know it's a 2013 game but it's 2014 for the Mac version.

(Actually, just found out it's the Appstore game of the year too)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Tomb Raider. I know it's a 2013 game but it's 2014 for the Mac version.

(Actually, just found out it's the Appstore game of the year too)

Hey, true. If Tomb Raider counts as a 2014 MAC game, then my vote becomes a tie between it and The Pre-Sequel.

Elmzeh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
London
Update

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all of your responses so far and definitely keep them coming as I'm probably going to close off voting on Sunday 21st December.

Out of interest, would you prefer to only see a final list of the top Mac games that were released this year for Mac (2014) or a list of your top picks that you've enjoyed playing this year despite release date?

Thanks,

Adam

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Don't forget a greatly done Mac port of an already great game: Metro: Last Light.

Definitely a game to remember.

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
Hey Guys!

Thanks for all of your responses so far and definitely keep them coming as I'm probably going to close off voting on Sunday 21st December.

Out of interest, would you prefer to only see a final list of the top Mac games that were released this year for Mac (2014) or a list of your top picks that you've enjoyed playing this year despite release date?

Thanks,

Adam

i think it should be about 2014 releases.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
2) Civilization Beyond Earth
3) Geometry Wars 3
4) The Sims 2 Super Collection
5) SimCity 4 Deluxe re-release

Dont look at me like that! You can vote for yourself :cool:

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
1. The Banner Saga
2. Divinity Original Sin
3. Lord of the Rings Online

Was going to put in Legend of Grimrock 2 until I remembered I play it on bootcamp :)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
2) Civilization Beyond Earth
3) Geometry Wars 3
4) The Sims 2 Super Collection
5) SimCity 4 Deluxe re-release

Dont look at me like that! You can vote for yourself :cool:

Bwaaa hahahahah two can play that game, :D my personal fav's are:

1. Shogun 2 - Fall Of The Samurai Collection
2. Tomb Raider GOTY
3. Hitman Absolution (esp Sniper Challenge)
4. LEGO Batman 3
5. GRID 2

Honorable mention to Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel which I have to hat-tip Asypr, it's a lot o' fun and I didn't have to test it :)

Bertrude

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
England
I don't do much gaming on my Mac but I've enjoyed 'Little Racers Street' (Steam) an awful lot this year and had a lot of fun with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.