Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcafaro10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Is it possible? It's completely useless for me because I don't tag my music by albums so its just annoying to look at and then I have to tilt it up correctly to see what is actually playing. It'd be nice to just disable coverflow and just never NOT show now playing when I tilt the screen.

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Is it possible? It's completely useless for me because I don't tag my music by albums so its just annoying to look at and then I have to tilt it up correctly to see what is actually playing. It'd be nice to just disable coverflow and just never NOT show now playing when I tilt the screen.

If it really takes an insurmountable effort to rotate the touch 90 degrees, you can just tap the album cover and it will show what's in the album, with the tune that's playing marked with a blue arrowhead.

jcafaro10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Because when I'm running/driving/etc. sometimes I don't really wanna fiddle with the ipods tilt sensor which isn't always sensing the right orientation. It'd be nice to just lock it in now playing mode or something. I only really care about the tilt sensor when I'm web browsing anyway.

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
I have way to much music, and frequantly forget artist's names due to the type of music I listen too - So coverflow is awesome. I don't find it useless at all - I love it!

ranwanimator

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
I just wish it had play controls. If you tapped, say, somewhere not on an album, they would appear as if by magic. I would also like to see coverflow update the album if I am listening to my music shuffled. I usually am at my desk at work with my iPod plugged in so battery consumption is not an issue.

Coverflow is neat, it just wasn't thought completely through. They could add a bit to it and it would be more useful.

Peace

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
Here's what I'd like to see with cover flow options in a software update:

1) Disable/enable
2) select which genres are in coverflow
3) ability to dictate sort-order heirachy among genre, album and/or artist

Mike

vijer

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
Yes you can disable coverflow!

Creibold,

Glad you like coverflow but it truly is useless.

The accelerometer in general is useless. I hate when I am using the calculator and it decides that I tilted the phone and switches to the full function calculator but then I have to shake the hell out of the phone to get it to switch back. I would rather have an on screen toggle instead of the dumb accelerometer.

Anyway just jailbreak your phone, install Cydia, then install NoRotation and you can toggle the accelerometer on and off. I love leaving it off.

Too bad Apple wants to hurt its customers with crap that is not needed or wanted. Just a gimmick that a programmer thought up. Just like that idiotic compass; you would have to be brain dead to use the compass. It is just a gimmick to show your friends and after 2 minutes of playing with you never open it again but you have to look at the silly icon forever. At a minimum Apple should make all the free apps available on the AppStore and let you remove the crap you don't want.

I have way to much music, and frequantly forget artist's names due to the type of music I listen too - So coverflow is awesome. I don't find it useless at all - I love it!

deadmonk11

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
re:

if you are trying to disable the icons that will not go away when u hold them and they don"t show an (x) at the top. you can install an app from cydia but i can't remember the name of it but i have it. and the post above mine does let u disable cover flow

max171717

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Turning off cover flow

Apologies if im wrong, but on my iPhone i can double tap the home button, then scroll left on the bar at the bottom, which reveals a screen orientation lock. If you click this it locks the phone in the portrait position, also disabling coverflow. I have no idea if this feature is on the iPod touch, but give it a try anyway.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Apologies if im wrong, but on my iPhone i can double tap the home button, then scroll left on the bar at the bottom, which reveals a screen orientation lock. If you click this it locks the phone in the portrait position, also disabling coverflow. I have no idea if this feature is on the iPod touch, but give it a try anyway.

This only works for iOS 4 devices and I suspect it's unique to the iPhone 4. I don't have a 3rd gen iPod touch or iPhone 3GS to confirm this 100% though.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Back from the dead....

Anything to be done these days? Completely useless to me and a major annoyance when it kicks in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.