Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Regis3082

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
Hello, everyone! My name is Regis! This is my first post! Hoping someone will be kind enough to answer a few questions! I have a 160GB iPod classic, and am looking to upgrade to 480GB! First question. Can someone supply a list of exactly what I would need for this? Secondly, I'm in a wheelchair, and am unable to do this myself. Is there anywhere I could have it don if I get all the parts? Happy to join your community, and thanks in advance for the help! :)

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
That capacity height can be achieved by replace the 160GB hard drive to a custom made mSATA board.

You will need an mSATA board designed, made, and sold by Tarken.
http://www.tarkan.info/store

Next you will need the mSATA drive of course, your choice of capacity. Samsung EVO can go all the way to 1TB.

These mSATA drives are power hungry so its advised to upgrade the small OEM battery to a bigger capacity one. Bigger capacity batteries are bigger in size and so therefore you will need to change the back of your iPod from thin to thick. It's also best to have a new back just in case you mess up the original one when prying open the iPod.

More info of this mod is provided by another member here
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1822240/

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
This guy makes a flash upgrade adapter for the Classics, but there is an upper limit to the amount of memory that an iPod can access from what I'd read a while ago***. At one point, people were using the really small PC-Card hard drives, but they are all pretty much gone and departed the Earth.

I'd recommend that you check out his site, and search the forums here to see what other people have done. Someone here might be willing to do the upgrade for you, or that site I linked above might as well.

Good luck.

And someone beat me to it... Research time.

*** Although I spent some time looking just now, and it appears to not be an issue. Someone upgraded their iPod to 1T, which is HUGE! If the iPod was configured with a certain capacity, unless the iPod is reset, it will keep identifying at that size, and will fail if you go lower, and not recognize anything larger, which makes sense...

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It's also better to have a new back just in case you mess up the original one when prying open the iPod.

I opened a very early iPod that I had, and it was a bear to get open. I did end up having two areas that the metal back sides were bowed out a little bit. Depending how gentle someone is getting it open, you might be able to save the back for a spare.

I've got a late 6/early 7th gen, and the back is very thin.

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
This guy makes a flash upgrade adapter for the Classics, but there is an upper limit to the amount of memory that an iPod can access from what I'd read a while ago***. At one point, people were using the really small PC-Card hard drives, but they are all pretty much gone and departed the Earth.

I'd recommend that you check out his site, and search the forums here to see what other people have done. Someone here might be willing to do the upgrade for you, or that site I linked above might as well.

Good luck.

And someone beat me to it... Research time.

*** Although I spent some time looking just now, and it appears to not be an issue. Someone upgraded their iPod to 1T, which is HUGE! If the iPod was configured with a certain capacity, unless the iPod is reset, it will keep identifying at that size, and will fail if you go lower, and not recognize anything larger, which makes sense...

I heard about the upper limit thing but I have never experienced it personally. According to what I've read, if you install and use Rockbox as your main firmware you can have as much memory as you want.

Regis3082

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
Thanks for all the info! Now I just have to see if someone can build it for me.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Hello, everyone! My name is Regis! This is my first post! Hoping someone will be kind enough to answer a few questions! I have a 160GB iPod classic, and am looking to upgrade to 480GB! First question. Can someone supply a list of exactly what I would need for this? Secondly, I'm in a wheelchair, and am unable to do this myself. Is there anywhere I could have it don if I get all the parts? Happy to join your community, and thanks in advance for the help! :)

Be careful as the thick 160GB models limit to 128GB unless you Rockbox it. The thin 160GB can use stock iPod software up to 1TB but only up to a certain file quantity.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1822240/

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
If I can find my fat back late model Classic, I'll seriously consider doing the mod. 1Tb sounds good, then I can just keep it in my car and junk SiriusXM.

They *do* repeat the same music often enough to drive me crazy, and if not the same music, they will do the same artist at the same time in a week. That's almost worse than Top-40 regular radio stations...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.