Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider claims that while the MacBook Pro line will expand out further to completely replace the current PowerBook line, they report that the iBook will see the next revisions by second quarter of this calendar year.

Based on comments by Steve Jobs, the rumor site expects that the iBook will likely see a name change in-line with Apple's desire to have 'Mac' as part of its product names.

Speculation, of course, leads many to believe the iBook may simply be renamed to 'MacBook' while 'MacBook Pro' would replace the current PowerBook line.

By itself, this information is not especially revealing, but Appleinsider's November report accurately predicted the introduction of the Intel iMac at MWSF, closely followed in February by the first Intel Powerbook. With the MacBook Pro shipping in February, these predictions were actually quite accurate. In that same report, the rumor site also reported that Intel Mac minis and Intel iBooks were not expected to be released until Spring 2006.

We will post a full post-expo rumor wrapup shortly covering which rumors were right and which were wrong.

Pluckie

macrumors member
May 7, 2005
Um..... for those of us out there dying for a Macbook but unaware of this "quarter business", can someone tell me when the "second quarter 2006" begins. Thanks!

WeBleed4Real

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
Macrumors said:
We will post a full post-expo rumor wrapup shortly covering which rumors were right and which were wrong.

Yeah, I wanna see who dropped the ball by spreading those Mac Mini and iPod Shuffle rumors.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Time for a re-design. The white finish has got to go for something cooler looking. Perhaps charcoal gun-metal with gold accents? Bling bling.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

stoid

macrumors 601
Pluckie said:
Um..... for those of us out there dying for a Macbook but unaware of this "quarter business", can someone tell me when the "second quarter 2006" begins. Thanks!

I think it's just simple math.

12 months/1 year
4 quarters/1 year

3 months/1 quarter

Q1 = January, February, March
Q2 = April, May, June

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
Releasing iBook and Mac mini replacements in the next quarter (April 1st - Apple's 30th Anniversary?) might be an indication that they will be Solo and not Duo - pity. It also might be that Apple just wants some time getting the first two Mactels into smooth production before going after the next two. With the price of the cheapest DUO being about the same as the Solo I would love to see both the iBook & Mac minis Duos. That would make Macs all dual core processor computers - a major selling point.

Does anyone know if the Duo and Solo's are pin compatible?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Pluckie said:
Brilliant!

I thought the business quarters were divided differently... probably not, though. Thanks again.

For some accounting purposes they are.But that concept would only confuse people more :)

Suffice it to say Quarter 2 begins April 1st.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I kinda like the name iBook (not too thrilled with MacBook). And anyways, doesn't iBook fit with the iPod/iSight/etc name scheme?

merkhet

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2005
Washington, DC
stoid said:
I think it's just simple math.

12 months/1 year
4 quarters/1 year

3 months/1 quarter

Q1 = January, February, March
Q2 = April, May, June

Yea, I think they're talking about simple quarters instead of fiscal quarters.

I believe Q1 of the fiscal quarter is October to December and Q2 is January to March -- so it'd make sense that they're using Q1 as the fiscal Q2

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I've already quit getting hyped up from rumor sites, but I have to say that AppleInsider did get everything correct, and they were saying all this for a couple months now. If I had to listen to any rumor sites, it'd have to be AI.

As for new Mac minis, I really hope they are dual-core. I don't feel I should wait for them, though, since I am really wanting an iMac right now. I don't expect the Mac mini to be dual-core, being the baseline of the Mac lineup, so why wait? But if I'm wrong, I guess I could get the mini... I'm arguing with myself now. :p

To get an iMac or not to get an iMac? That IS the question, folks! :(

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
w00t First Post!

Ok not really.

I am looking hoping to see the Rev B Macbook Pros out around June. I figure by that time, they'll get the kinks worked out from this run and will probably get a slight speed bump. Dual core 2.0 anyone?

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Peace said:
For some accounting purposes they are.But that concept would only confuse people more :)

Suffice it to say Quarter 2 begins April 1st.

The article stats 2nd quarter 2006. Apple just started it's 2nd financial quarter on January 1st. Calendar quarter vs. financial quarter :)

Marvy

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Germany
The rumor mill...

Woohoo, so the rumors are starting again... they never stopped actually did they? *Bangs head on table* "WHEN WILL THEY STOP!!!"

Aaaaanyway, maybe will see some black iBooks in Q2, that would fit very nicely to the nanos.
I'm also betting on single core yonahs in the iBooks to keep them out of the territory of the Pro-Line. Then again, with the iMac being equipped so nicely, who knows.

Zatko

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2005
30th anniversary

What I think would be cool is have limited edition MacBooks (hate that name) with the glowing apple on the back of the lcd have the classic multicolor logo. I bet they'd sell out of them in no time.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Merom?

When is Merom suppose to come out?

I would think eventually the MacBook Pro would contain Merom chips. While the MacBooks would have Core Duo (Yonah). With the prices of the Core Duo's I can't see any product recieving the single core chips.

I assume they are going to wait on the 12" PowerBook replacement untill the Low Voltage Chips are available to make a truelly compact sub notebook.

MacBook Pro
12" Replacement 1.66 GHz ULV Core Duo (10" Widscreen)
15" Replacement 1.66 or 1.83 GHz Core Duo
17" Replacement 2 or 2.16 GHz Core Duo

MacBook - one model
13.3" Widescreen 1.66 GHz Core Duo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.