Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiamHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
I have a Logo I designed for a client which I need to either recreate in Ai or convert to a vector. The client gave me sizes and so I built the Logo to spec however he has now decided he needs a 1080P Version of the Logo which is way larger than what we were previously working with. This means that the Logo is incredibly distorted when enlarged to the required size. I either need to convert it to a vector to avoid distortion on enlargement or I need to re-create it in Ai exactly as spec as he is not prepared to take a full rebrand which is what I initially offered upon realising there was going to be an issue. I was prepared to rebrand at no cost to him despite me needing to work well into the late hours of tonight to do so but he insisted that the original logo be saved. Please Help as I am about to go insane here.

Kind Regards,

Liam

Last edited:

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I have a Logo I designed for a client which I need to either recreate in Ai or convert to a vector. The client gave me sizes and so I built the Logo to spec however he has now decided he needs a 1080P Version of the Logo which is way larger than what we were previously working with. This means that the Logo is incredibly distorted when enlarged to the required size. I either need to convert it to a vector to avoid distortion on enlargement or I need to re-create it in Ai exactly as spec as he is not prepared to take a full rebrand which is what I initially offered upon realising there was going to be an issue. I was prepared to rebrand at no cost to him despite me needing to work well into the late hours of tonight to do so but he insisted that the original logo be saved. Please Help as I am about to go insane here.

Kind Regards,

Liam
I 'm not exactly sure what will happen. But I think just opening it in Gimp or so and saving it as a vector could result in problems. Or am I wrong?

LiamHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
I 'm not exactly sure what will happen. But I think just opening it in Gimp or so and saving it as a vector could result in problems. Or am I wrong?

I think it might not work that way. I will check now. Thanks for your input :)

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I think it might not work that way. I will check now. Thanks for your input :)

The alternative is recreating it in sketch, photoshop, illustrator, gimp etc but that will take some time. Is it a difficult logo?

LiamHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
The alternative is recreating it in sketch, photoshop, illustrator, gimp etc but that will take some time. Is it a difficult logo?

Not particularly.
Charged-UP-Logo-Final-Small.png

vbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
Welcome. :)

I re-designed it with a very quick and draft way using "iDraw".

It is'nt perfect (the color gradient could be more accurate and the battery in the upper part need a little detail but it is easy for someone to take some more time and perfect it.

Also the pdf is in RGB color mode, so if someone need it for CMYK (for printing), it need color mode convertion and maybe color reasignement with a program that suport CMYK like illustrator.

Last edited:

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I hope the client who paid the OP is going to pay the person who did the work for them.

Sorry but if you have a client who needs you to do some graphics work and you cant even do a vector trace...I dont think you should be accepting any more clients until you can. :rolleyes:

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
I hope the client who paid the OP is going to pay the person who did the work for them.

Sorry but if you have a client who needs you to do some graphics work and you cant even do a vector trace...I dont think you should be accepting any more clients until you can. :rolleyes:

As it went through PM's I guess the OP paid the designer

vbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
I found some time and did some small changes (there are some more details and corrections here and there - according to the pixel image, and some color corrections).

Here is the updated version of the file. :)

Attachments

• Charged-UP-Logo-Final-Small_008.pdf
    32.1 KB · Views: 421

LiamHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Thank you for spending your time on this. It is really appreciated :)

LiamHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014

Sorry but if you have a client who needs you to do some graphics work and you cant even do a vector trace...I don't think you should be accepting any more clients until you can. :rolleyes:

Hello, I don't think we've met before. I think it might be beneficial for you to read threads thoroughly before replying to save yourself any bother. I have pretty much dropped Adobe's suite of programs when they changed over to Creative Cloud as I wasn't fond of using a subscription based service. I therefore have very little knowledge of how to navigate my way around Ai CC 2014 considering the last version of Ai I used was CS3. I asked for help and was given help. I don't see why just because I am a semi-professional I shouldn't be able to ask for help using a program I am not quite familiar with. I have no issues providing the services which my clients require. I have not had anyone complain yet about my lack of skills when using Ai CC.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Hello, I don't think we've met before. I think it might be beneficial for you to read threads thoroughly before replying to save yourself any bother. I have pretty much dropped Adobe's suite of programs when they changed over to Creative Cloud as I wasn't fond of using a subscription based service. I therefore have very little knowledge of how to navigate my way around Ai CC 2014 considering the last version of Ai I used was CS3. I asked for help and was given help. I don't see why just because I am a semi-professional I shouldn't be able to ask for help using a program I am not quite familiar with. I have no issues providing the services which my clients require. I have not had anyone complain yet about my lack of skills when using Ai CC.

I have to also say that anyone who would create a logo in a non-vector format shouldn't be charging anyone for creating logos. It's just basic industry standards. Fine if you don't want to use Illustrator (I presume because you don't have enough money coming in to make it worth paying for the subscription since it would be career suicide to never use Adobe products again) but you can't be a professional designer designing logos without using any vector-based program that can output true vector eps.

P.S. That gradient in the logo is going to be a pain in the ass for printing. Will probably never look smooth. I made the same mistake on my own business logo and am trying to find a better way to convey what I'm trying to say.

LiamHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
I have to also say that anyone who would create a logo in a non-vector format shouldn't be charging anyone for creating logos. It's just basic industry standards. Fine if you don't want to use Illustrator (I presume because you don't have enough money coming in to make it worth paying for the subscription since it would be career suicide to never use Adobe products again) but you can't be a professional designer designing logos without using any vector-based program that can output true vector eps.

I really am not going to let people who know nothing really about me on a forum judge whether or not I'm in the right line of work. If the client wanted eps files that's what the client would have got. Did they want these? No, therefore please don't judge me and my career based on one thread and some limited information about a client and their project. I do design things in vector format sometimes however for the majority of my clients they don't have a need for these sorts of files but instead just basic PNG and JPEG. If I felt it was a necessary thing to export all files in eps for every client then I would. I would also be committing business suicide by spending significantly more than i'm bringing in. Spending £100's a year on a CC Subscription when it is not really necessary is not a good idea considering the other overheads and the fact I need to give myself a decent salary to live off. I have had my issue resolved and I feel there is no need of this thread as now it has just become a case of people making comments about things they couldn't possibly be in a position to comment on .

I have already checked with the client about whether he was going to ever need anything done in print and he said no because his business was an online based business he has no reason to print anything. I wouldn't have designed him a Logo that would not be fit for purpose, despite some people questioning my ability to work in the design industry. I know how to keep customers happy and I also know that it's important to establish what formats the client is going to need their work in and also what it's going to be used for.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I really am not going to let people who know nothing really about me on a forum judge whether or not I'm in the right line of work. If the client wanted eps files that's what the client would have got. Did they want these? No, therefore please don't judge me and my career based on one thread and some limited information about a client and their project. I do design things in vector format sometimes however for the majority of my clients they don't have a need for these sorts of files but instead just basic PNG and JPEG. If I felt it was a necessary thing to export all files in eps for every client then I would. I would also be committing business suicide by spending significantly more than i'm bringing in. Spending £100's a year on a CC Subscription when it is not really necessary is not a good idea considering the other overheads and the fact I need to give myself a decent salary to live off. I have had my issue resolved and I feel there is no need of this thread as now it has just become a case of people making comments about things they couldn't possibly be in a position to comment on .

I have already checked with the client about whether he was going to ever need anything done in print and he said no because his business was an online based business he has no reason to print anything. I wouldn't have designed him a Logo that would not be fit for purpose, despite some people questioning my ability to work in the design industry. I know how to keep customers happy and I also know that it's important to establish what formats the client is going to need their work in and also what it's going to be used for.

You can't leave it up to a client to know whether they will ever need a vector logo. That's YOUR job. And they WILL need a vector version eventually, just like this client did. You let THEM decide whether they needed a vector version and, of course, they were WRONG. There are things a client knows and there are other things designers know. It's your professional obligation to advise them. Besides, creating a logo in a vector program from the start enables you to output the logo in any other format the client might ask for and at any size. The reverse isn't true. Even if you never give them the vector version you will have it in your archives for when they ask for it or a resolution/size they didn't know they would need at the time, like THIS client.

Even online-only businesses need vector logos. They might want business cards someday. Or put the logo on a shirt. Or create a video about a product. Or make a commercial for tv. Or put the logo on a product to sell. When they hire someone else to make anything branded for their business they are going to prefer to get a vector version of the logo so it will be the highest quality. Neither you nor the client have a crystal ball to know what will happen in the future.

The fact that you couldn't recreate this extremely simple logo in whatever vector program you do have tells me the level of your experience without my knowing you. Don't get mad, just learn from someone with more experience than you. Take it from someone who is sick and tired of asking HER clients for a vector version of their logo so I can do my job decently and them giving me a crappy jpeg (or better yet, a jpeg they re-saved as eps because they don't know it doesn't work that way) that I have to try to make work.

Last edited:

LiamHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
You can't leave it up to a client to know whether they will ever need a vector logo. That's YOUR job. And they WILL need a vector version eventually, just like this client did. You let THEM decide whether they needed a vector version and, of course, they were WRONG. There are things a client knows and there are other things designers know. It's your professional obligation to advise them. Besides, creating a logo in a vector program from the start enables you to output the logo in any other format the client might ask for and at any size. The reverse isn't true. Even if you never give them the vector version you will have it in your archives for when they ask for it or a resolution/size they didn't know they would need at the time, like THIS client.

Even online-only businesses need vector logos. They might want business cards someday. Or put the logo on a shirt. Or create a video about a product. Or make a commercial for tv. Or put the logo on a product to sell. When they hire someone else to make anything branded for their business they are going to prefer to get a vector version of the logo so it will be the highest quality. Neither you nor the client have a crystal ball to know what will happen in the future.

The fact that you couldn't recreate this extremely simple logo in whatever vector program you do have tells me the level of your experience without my knowing you. Don't get mad, just learn from someone with more experience than you. Take it from someone who is sick and tired of asking HER clients for a vector version of their logo so I can do my job decently and them giving me a crappy jpeg (or better yet, a jpeg they re-saved as eps because they don't know it doesn't work that way) that I have to try to make work.

If my clients wanted to go else where and have their design work done where they are guaranteed to have vectors then they are more than welcome to. The fact they do not, tell's me either they are all lying about the quality of my services or they don't care about having a vector copy as much as you make out they should. I have done large projects before and done multiple different file format copies however on this project it was never something he was needing. I really don't understand why you care about me or my business so much. I am not harming you in anyway nor am I causing issues for any of my clients.

pixelzombie

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2013
My two cents:

Honestly? I think you give designers a bad name. You were willing to do a rebrand at no charge in spite of long hours for something you barely know how to do? Are you kidding? And then when faced with this fact, you take the “you don’t know me” defense?

I agree, letting the client decide what they might need doesn’t make sense. The client isn’t thinking that far ahead. That’s where you are supposed to come in.

If my clients wanted to go else where and have their design work done where they are guaranteed to have vectors then they are more than welcome to. The fact they do not, tell's me either they are all lying about the quality of my services or they don't care about having a vector copy as much as you make out they should.

Just because the client doesn’t know any better doesn’t make you a great designer. Sorry but it doesn’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.