Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hey Everyone,

I am attempting to remove an old SMB share from my login items for my user account, but it won't allow me to do it. Here is what I am seeing:
Screenshot122121250PM-2.jpeg

As you can see it will not allow me to checkbox the SMB item, so I can't delete it. In addition, I'm not sure what the "unknown" kind means....I'm assuming it's trying to figure out if it's an application or not.

If anyone could provide any additional information or assistance, it would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,

--Asif

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Did you unlock the lock on the left side (just out of your screencap)? Then the "+" and "-" should be available. You don't want to check the box next to the share to get rid of it, that just hides the icon at login. You want to select the item, then click the minus sign to remove it from the list.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Yes, I unlocked the lock, but when I select the item the minus option becomes greyed out.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Go to your Library folder (In Finder, hold down the option key and select Go->Library. Go into Preferences and delete com.apple.loginitems.plist. You will need to logout and in again. You will also have to add back in any login items you want, but it sounds like the file is corrupted.

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hey Talmy,

So I removed my loginitems.plist file, and now I see this:

Screenshot1210121125AM.jpeg

I still get the error when I login, but not sure why the actual item entree updated itself to unknown. Either way, it looks like everything got removed but the actual problem-child item.

I still cannot click the minus sign to delete it, as you can see the checkbox is greyed out.

Anyone has any other ideas on how to REMOVE this thing?

Thanks,

--Asif

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I just saw in your screenshot that this is a managed account. The login item is probably coming from the server so it cannot be deleted locally, and needs to be removed on the server.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Hey Talmy,

So I removed my loginitems.plist file, and now I see this:

I still get the error when I login, but not sure why the actual item entree updated itself to unknown. Either way, it looks like everything got removed but the actual problem-child item.

I still cannot click the minus sign to delete it, as you can see the checkbox is greyed out.

Anyone has any other ideas on how to REMOVE this thing?

Thanks,

--Asif

It looks like it might be some trace of simbl judging from the first screenshot. You probably have some leftover simbl files or you still have it installed.

Check your user library and your hardrive library, then look for a folder called application support. Then look for folder called simbl.

benjmiller

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2014
dealing with this issue now on my new work machine.

has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.