Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Binging samples only allowed

Believe it or not, I have missed on The Wire, and now I'm playing 'catch up', fortunately on the HD remastered versions.

Wire.jpg

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Never understood why it took them so unbelievable long to release it on BluRay with much better quality. So I'm really glad they finally do that, but...

No idea why they make it 16:9 instead of the original 4:3 (which I'm crossing all my fingers for being optional!!!). This is a huge trade-off and so it feels like 10 steps forward and 10 back :/

Reactions: MEJHarrison

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Never understood why it took them so unbelievable long to release it on BluRay with much better quality. So I'm really glad they finally do that, but...

No idea why they make it 16:9 instead of the original 4:3 (which I'm crossing all my fingers for being optional!!!). This is a huge trade-off and so it feels like 10 steps forward and 10 back :/

I'm definitely not complaining about the 16:9 aspect ratio. I don't believe they cropped any 4:3 footage, it was they other way around to fit the then 4:3 TV standard.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Been binging on Boardwalk Empire. Halfway through season 2 (thank you HBO GO on the ATV!), and when they warn about graphic violence, they MEAN IT!

Reactions: DotCom2

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
By binging, does the OP mean making sure you do not miss it under any circumstances while it is being broadcast, or buying (or acquiring) box sets and sitting down to watch several episodes at a time, or a sitting?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
the two later propositions :)

Ah, thank you for the clarification.

Okay, well, then, the only TV series that I have done that with - at all - in the past few weeks (let alone years - I don't even do that with STNG, or Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes, or Foyle's War, or Downton Abbey - all of which are TV series that I really loved) - was the excellent British TV series '37 Days' which, using contemporary sources, described the diplomatic manoeuvring and blundering which immediately preceded the outbreak of war or declaration of war which gave rise to the First World War.

The cast was superb, the sources used historically solid, and the story gripping. It got excellent reviews when it was first broadcast, but I missed it as I was working abroad at the time, so I ordered the box set when I returned home.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I'm definitely not complaining about the 16:9 aspect ratio. I don't believe they cropped any 4:3 footage, it was they other way around to fit the then 4:3 TV standard.

good for you. i'm no 4:3 purist, although that's my preferred aspect ratio, but the show was shot with 4:3 in mind so a transformation of that is an absolute no-go for me. from what little that i've seen they cropped parts at the bottom/top and even decided to stretch (!) certain parts where no additional footage was available (for example the surveilance cam shots). man, this is such a downer for me :(

Reactions: MEJHarrison

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
good for you. i'm no 4:3 purist, although that's my preferred aspect ratio, but the show was shot with 4:3 in mind so a transformation of that is an absolute no-go for me. from what little that i've seen they cropped parts at the bottom/top and even decided to stretch (!) certain parts where no additional footage was available (for example the surveilance cam shots). man, this is such a downer for me :(

haven't noticed the stretch, will give it a look.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I will 'be binging' on the BBC TV adaptations of both of Hilary Mantel's novels, 'Wolf Hall' and 'Bring Up The Bodies' when they are broadcast later this year.

If I am not around to see them when they are broadcast, that is a box set I will most certainly seek out, buy, and view.

Reactions: MNLondon

lwood1

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
SoCal
Just started Entourage so I'll be caught up for the movie.
Going to start House of Cards in February so I'll be caught up for the 3rd Season.

:cool:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Ah, thank you for the clarification.

Okay, well, then, the only TV series that I have done that with - at all - in the past few weeks (let alone years - I don't even do that with STNG, or Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes, or Foyle's War, or Downton Abbey - all of which are TV series that I really loved) - was the excellent British TV series '37 Days' which, using contemporary sources, described the diplomatic manoeuvring and blundering which immediately preceded the outbreak of war or declaration of war which gave rise to the First World War.

The cast was superb, the sources used historically solid, and the story gripping. It got excellent reviews when it was first broadcast, but I missed it as I was working abroad at the time, so I ordered the box set when I returned home.

I had been thinking of getting Royal Cousins at War but now perhaps I will watch the 37 Days series first. Together they would certainly count as a binge watch.

Another binge watch on the horizon: I am looking forward to the remastered version of The Jewel of the Crown series that is finally being released in the US this month. It's been out in the UK 8 or 9 years already; probably some licensing issue has hung it up here for so long, who knows. Anyway I remember being bleary-eyed by time I finished watching the old release and it wasn't just because the DVD quality was poor. I just couldn't stop watching the thing. Tim Pigott-Smith was certainly memorable in that series.

Reactions: aggiefather

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

They've already said there won't be an HD 4:3 version.

Is it odd I've never binged on a show? For some reason I enjoy watching weekly, even if it's a show on Netflix. I think it helps immerse viewers into the world more on a subconscious level when you're watching over a longer period of time.

Reactions: Wheel_D
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.