Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I keep reading threads about yellowing on LG and/or Samsung displays on the rMBP...

Please excuse my ignorance but how do I find out which one I have? I just bought this thing 2 days ago and it's gorgeous.... so I wanna know whether I need to email LG or Samsung or someone else to thank them for their excellent product...

Thanks!

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
type this into terminal:

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Look at the beginning of the second line to see which manufacturer made your display. If it starts with LP then you have an LG display. Samsung displays start with LSN

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
type this into terminal:

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Look at the beginning of the second line to see which manufacturer made your display. If it starts with LP then you have an LG display. Samsung displays start with LSN

That isn't working. I am getting "Color LCD" which doesn't tell me anything... like this.

TRC-MacBook-Pro:~ TRC$ ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | stri-6s

Color LCD

A common problem?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4990702?start=15&tstart=0

I've also tried some of the other commands listed in that thread and they return garbage... like this...

TRC-MacBook-Pro:~ TRC$ ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r
????????
?<"x"??UK?&
PT?iMac
-?p?z1?x????Q?h???????py?n???/??
Qǐ???????0?!xo??UL?%
PT?@?4p0 6K??Color LCD

Suggestions? I see a UL?%PT? in there... is that the LP I am looking for? LOL

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
That isn't working. I am getting "Color LCD" which doesn't tell me anything... like this.

TRC-MacBook-Pro:~ TRC$ ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | stri-6s

Color LCD

A common problem?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4990702?start=15&tstart=0

I've also tried some of the other commands listed in that thread and they return garbage... like this...

TRC-MacBook-Pro:~ TRC$ ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r
????????
?<"x"??UK?&
PT?iMac
-?p?z1?x????Q?h???????py?n???/??
Qǐ???????0?!xo??UL?%
PT?@?4p0 6K??Color LCD

Suggestions? I see a UL?%PT? in there... is that the LP I am looking for? LOL

This Terminal command will only work on Macs with discrete GPUs.

If your Mac does not have a discrete GPU, the command will not work.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
This Terminal command will only work on Macs with discrete GPUs.

If your Mac does not have a discrete GPU, the command will not work.

Thanks for the tip.

So is there any other way to determine which display I have?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
You said its gorgeous??

So what are you worried about the machine is fine use it and forget all this nonsense, the vast majority of rMBP's sold are fantastic with no issues the make of the screen is immaterial if it is working and you like it....

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
s
Yes.

In System Preferences, go to Display. Under the Color tab, select Color LCD and click Open Profile.

Scroll to the last section where the description says 'Apple display make and model info'.

Post back the model.

0000A019 which according to a forum search is LG.

So what are you worried about the machine is fine use it and forget all this nonsense, the vast majority of rMBP's sold are fantastic with no issues the make of the screen is immaterial if it is working and you like it....

I'm not worried about anything. I was just curious.

This machine kicks ass. Thank you Apple.

Thanks for the help guys!

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
s

0000A019 which according to a forum search is LG.

I'm not worried about anything. I was just curious.

This machine kicks ass. Thank you Apple.

Thanks for the help guys!

I have the same screen and it is amazing. I am still stuck on the gee-whiz stage and keep loading new wallpaper. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.