Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I listen to just about any thing really, but i am having problems finding music of the reggae genre. I don’t know if any of you have heard the song "Bhanagra Fever" or not, but thats basically the type of music im looking for. I don’t really know if it falls under the reggae genre or not, itunes music store lists it under 'world'. If some one could give me some recommendations of songs, or artists that would be great. thanks.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I'm not a fan of reggae at all personally, but I know that Digitally Imported Radio has a streaming channel devoted to "Roots Reggae" you might like to check out. All the artists are independent/upcoming (for the most part). This isn't mainstream work by any means, but you may find the type of style you are looking for there.

The only thing that comes to my mind is Bob Marley whom I know nothing about. :eek:

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
Bhangra is not reggae - it's a fusion of traditional Indian music with dance beats that came out of the UK's large second/third generation Indian community - although a similar situation in the West Indian communities did/does produce a similar blend of east-meets-west music that ranged from classic reggae (Virgin UK issued an excellent series of brilliant albums in the 70's under the Front Line label which have been re-issued on CD) to dub (pretty much anything put out by On-U Sound is worth a look) to groups that took the reggae/ska sound and did their own thing with it (Madness, UB40, The Clash, The Beat).

As for Bhangra itself - the 80's compilation Bhangra Fever is a pretty good place to start. Panjabi MC is pretty cool too. The soundtrack to the film Bend It Like Beckham has more (along with a bit of Old Spice and others) - just follow the related links on Amazon for those two for more.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
cantthinkofone said:
well shows what i know about the genre i guess :eek:. Ill look into those artists and albums some time today, thanks for all the help.

You're welcome. Good luck on your music search. :D

ShadyMac

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2005
faintember said:
You also might want to look into an artist named Apache Indian. Although he is not strictly banghra, it is a large formative part of his musical style.
I never thought I see the day when someone mention Apache Indian on a forum. I thought I was the only one who knew about him.
What's next people talking about Sundar Popo, Babla & Kanchan? Let's see if anyone knows about them.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
ShadyMac said:
I never thought I see the day when someone mention Apache Indian on a forum. I thought I was the only one who knew about him.
What's next people talking about Sundar Popo, Babla & Kanchan? Let's see if anyone knows about them.
'fraid he's sold out - Make Way for The Indian even came up on shuffle the other day. Your Sundar secret's still safe tho :p
or was - now it'll be Popo this Popo that all day long.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
ShadyMac said:
Well i took a graduate course on Pop music of the World, so i learned about more than a few not-so-well known artists. I know way to many artists from Burma!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.