Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
My parents said they will get me an iBook when i start year 11 at school, but i dont know if i should wait until the Intel iBooks come out. A lot of my work will be in Pages or Word (depending on my mood at the time :p ), but i will also be doing some GarageBand work. I could live with the G4, but i worry about how long it will last before i have to be replacing it. Im in no desperate need to buy a laptop now, so i could wait, but will it be worth it?

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
Wait Wait Wait! You will have to wait at most 2 moths (My guess) untill MUCH more powerful (we're talking up to 5X), probably thinner, come with extra features (like iSight), and all probably at the same price. I think they will also have a cooler design, with new colors available.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm the same boat. My Pismo just died. I've got an old Dell laptop with a dead battery I can use. I can buy a new battery and use it for class for a while. Or I can buy a new iBook with education discount. I really want to wait for Intel but I'm not sure- Calculus will probably be over with by the time they come out.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I say wait for the "intel inside" equipped iBooks (or whatever they end up calling them) to arrive.

You know that you really, really want an intel chip! ;) :)

Attachments

• indexintellogo20060109.png
    indexintellogo20060109.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 490

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
oclor said:
MUCH more powerful (we're talking up to 5X)

Yeah because it's not like Apple ever used crappy non real world benchmarking before... no wait a minute... I think I'll wait until I see some real reviews before I believe anything coming out of Cupertino.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
wasimyaqoob said:
People who have got their new Intel iMac's are saying the new Intel chips are very slow - so stick with PowerPC apple :D

You usually need to back up FUD like that with links, real links, not a link to some guys blog... so links please?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
risc said:
Yeah because it's not like Apple ever used crappy non real world benchmarking before... no wait a minute... I think I'll wait until I see some real reviews before I believe anything coming out of Cupertino.

Always good to take a pinch of salt with Apple's benchmarks... :)

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
dmw007 said:
Always good to take a pinch of salt with Apple's benchmarks... :)

Rather... but I'm just trying to convince myself it is better to wait for the new pro desktop range whatever they call it. I must say at the moment I'm not doing to well since I have the Apple Australia store, and a reseller site both sitting on the iMac Intel page. :D

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
risc said:
Rather... but I'm just trying to convince myself it is better to wait for the new pro desktop range whatever they call it. I must say at the moment I'm not doing to well since I have the Apple Australia store, and a reseller site both sitting on the iMac Intel page. :D

While I must admit the new iMacs are very attractive; you know that you will instantly regret buying one when the new Power Macs with Intel processors come out with such unbelievable processing power that will no doubt blow the new iMac out of the water.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
dmw007 said:
you know that you will instantly regret buying one when the new Power Macs with Intel processors come out with such unbelievable processing power that will no doubt blow the new iMac out of the water.

Good advice, the trusty old Dual G5 / 6800 Ultra DDL combo it is for a while. :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
oclor said:
Wait Wait Wait! You will have to wait at most 2 moths (My guess) untill MUCH more powerful (we're talking up to 5X), probably thinner, come with extra features (like iSight), and all probably at the same price. I think they will also have a cooler design, with new colors available.

Even if it's all a guess, what are you basing this on? 5x more powerful? :rolleyes:

People who have got their new Intel iMac's are saying the new Intel chips are very slow - so stick with PowerPC apple

But in a year or so, when all software and even freeware and shareware are compiled with universal binaries, surely the new Intel iMacs will completely annihilate even the newest PPC iMacs. Heck, the PPC iMacs aren't even that much more powerful than the G4 1.67 GHz procs used in PBs when it comes to the large majority of tasks (although the iMac is obviously faster in some areas), and the G4 is slower than a dual core Intel M chip.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I purposely got the best price I could get on the last rev. pbook and ibook last month. Search around for a good price and you won't regret it. I have heard new edu as low as 699 on 12" ibook.

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Scarlet Fever said:
My parents said they will get me an iBook when i start year 11 at school, but i dont know if i should wait until the Intel iBooks come out. A lot of my work will be in Pages or Word (depending on my mood at the time :p ), but i will also be doing some GarageBand work. I could live with the G4, but i worry about how long it will last before i have to be replacing it. Im in no desperate need to buy a laptop now, so i could wait, but will it be worth it?

Can one of your parents salary sacrifice your laptop through their work? If so, you should point out that a MacBook Pro will effectively be half price and will see you through uni too. :D

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
surroundfan said:
Can one of your parents salary sacrifice your laptop through their work? If so, you should point out that a MacBook Pro will effectively be half price and will see you through uni too. :D
haha yeah we know about that, and mum is in the process of salary sacrificing a MacBook Pro, and dad the house. Wish i could salary sacrifice, but i earn stuff all from work

iamfiremansam

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
New Zealand
Same here

Scarlet Fever said:

Yea I'm in EXACTLY the same situation. I want an ibook for year 12 this year but school starts in February and the new ibook is out (hopefull) in April. I'm going to wait for it though because it will definately be worth it. I want to do some work with garageband too so it will be better with the new one.

Can't wait till April!!! :D

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
wait for the new intel ibooks to come out.

those of us who have the ppc ibook, however, continue to be happy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.