Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
"What’s going to happen is that Microsoft is going to have to get into the hardware business of making MP3 players. This year. X-player, or whatever."

-http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10853916/site/newsweek/

A somewhat more interesting interview on the topic of macworld than all the other junk reporting so far. Steve Jobs seems quite certain that Microsoft is about to release a flagship media player: how serious do you think he is?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
X-player? I don't think Steve was serious. He's just speculating that Microsoft needs to introduce something to seriously compete against the iPod.
Here's to the Crazy Ones

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
Lacero said:
X-player? I don't think Steve was serious. He's just speculating that Microsoft needs to introduce something to seriously compete against the iPod.
Here's to the Crazy Ones

While, he's obviously joking about the name. But is it really that proposterous? Sony was owning the videogames market and taking away share from PC when Microsoft introduced the X-Box, so there is some precedent. Plus it is clear that their current strategy is not working, and that they really want to beat Apple in this market.

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Or he could have meant the letter "X" as a variable. He wouldnt be releasing news about microsofts new products at the MACWORLD keynote...

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
...on that note: Xbox is the most generic and uninspired name ever contrived. Even worse than playstation and gamecube. Sega was the only company with good product ames: especially dreamcast (so poetic!).

I almost think that if Microsoft were to release a pmp, it would be called X-360. Terrible.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
supergod said:
Sega was the only company with good product ames: especially dreamcast (so poetic!).

Master System, Mega Drive... they're not much better than PlayStation and GameCube really.

PS. Super Secret Microsoft Rumours, by Steve :p

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I love that article (well any interview with Steve). I think if Microsoft doesn't get in the market this year they never will because they would just be to far behind it seems, but then again they are a HUGE company so I could be wrong.

I think its funny/sad steve said that the Powerbooks/ iMacs had the perfect form factor. (I agree but I want to seem them keep on innovating it.)

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
supergod said:
...on that note: Xbox is the most generic and uninspired name ever contrived. Even worse than playstation and gamecube. Sega was the only company with good product ames: especially dreamcast (so poetic!).

I almost think that if Microsoft were to release a pmp, it would be called X-360. Terrible.

lol somebody is pissed off

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I like the last question in that interview, about if Steve would have a blog. He probably does have one, but it may not be public. It would be amazing to read a blog by Steve though.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
wwooden said:
I like the last question in that interview, about if Steve would have a blog. He probably does have one, but it may not be public. It would be amazing to read a blog by Steve though.

Whoa! They updated the article because that diffenetly wasn't there when I read it first. I would love to read Steve's blog, as just about anyone who is a member here would:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.