Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Too bad. There are charities that can use money like that.

True. He has kickstarted for a charitable reason in the past in a retaliation move towards some guy

Also he has raised money to buy the Tesla real estate and is currently fund raising to clear it out from old radioactive/asbestos stuff and build a tesla museum.

On the other side, yes, I have to agree that people should throw money like that for charities instead of vanities of western civilization.

Last edited:

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Kickstarter is about the only indication of an economic recovery.

Too many people still have too much money to waste on stupid things.

-t

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Too bad. There are charities that can use money like that.

You're right - you should sell your iPhone 6 64GB Space Grey, Mid 2014 13" rMBP, and iPad Mini Retina 32 GB right now to donate the money to charity. :rolleyes:

Kickstarter is no longer a "charity" site, it's become fully commercial, for smaller (and sometimes even bigger,) people/groups/organizations to launch projects they can't/don't want to fund conventionally.

Just because someone chooses to spend money on non-charitable things doesn't mean they don't also do charitable things.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You're right - you should sell your iPhone 6 64GB Space Grey, Mid 2014 13" rMBP, and iPad Mini Retina 32 GB right now to donate the money to charity. :rolleyes:

Kickstarter is no longer a "charity" site, it's become fully commercial, for smaller (and sometimes even bigger,) people/groups/organizations to launch projects they can't/don't want to fund conventionally.

Just because someone chooses to spend money on non-charitable things doesn't mean they don't also do charitable things.

People aren't usually inspired to give to more than one charity. As a result, kickstarter is taking money from charities that could probably use it.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Kickstarter is about the only indication of an economic recovery.

Too many people still have too much money to waste on stupid things.

-t

Not for nothing, but I wouldn't call trying to restore this latest generation's love for reading and sparking the imagination by reviving Reading Rainbow a 'waste on stupid things'.

To be honest, I hadn't contributed to any Kickstarter project (not even the Veronica Mars movie) until I saw the one for Reading Rainbow. It's been the only one I've contributed to ever since.

BL.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
People aren't usually inspired to give to more than one charity. As a result, kickstarter is taking money from charities that could probably use it.

If someone isn't inspired to give to charity, then a kickstarter campaign for a commercial product isn't going to be the tipping point. One could argue that having an Apple Store closer to the entrance of a mall than a donation box would likewise "take money" from a charity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.