Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Just switched over to a new Dually, and with it, Tiger. Now in Quark, when I go to print a postscript file to use in distiller, the option to do this is gone. (The 'ouput options' choice in the drop-down list is no longer there.) There is now a 'save PDF as postscript file' option under the PDF button that I never used to use, but this doesn't appear to even function. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? (Quark 6.0, 10.4.3)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Can you select Adobe PDF as a PPD in the Setup tab of the print box?
Can you select Adobe PDF in the printer and page set-up options (bottom left buttons).

We're still running Panther at the office, which is where I am now. I recommend upgrading to Quark 6.5, it's free and fixes a number of issues.

We only create our PDFs by printing to .ps to Distiller watched folders through the print box.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
As far as I can tell, no, no, and no. Interesting that I don't have that there. So the Adobe PDF printer is what would add the 'output options' to my list? Any idea how I can get that added?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Thanks. I have all that installed. I will check to see if I missed it under the extras /custom install somewhere. Unfortunately can't get to it now. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Is Adobe PDF in the Printers folder in Library in your home folder?

Is 'Adobe PDF' anywhere?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Nope. Boy, Spotlight is really a pain sopmetimes. It gave me like 3000 results to wade through, but nothing with that name specifically.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
(Your HD):Library:printers:pPDs:Contents:Resources:en.lproj:ADPDF6.PPD

ADPDF6.PPD

Is this file anywhere?

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
I'm running Tiger with Quark 6.5. I just got a Quad so Tiger is new for me but everything looks the same in Quark as it did in 10.3. The only PDF issue with Tiger is that screenshots are no longer PDFs. I got shotChoice to change it back to PDFs but they are coming out 5 to 10x the file size they should be so I switched it to jpegs.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/328645.html

Q: I accidentally removed my PDF printer from my OS X printer list. When I go to page setup, click on "Format for" and select "edit printer list", there is no way to add the PDF printer back into the printer selection. How do I re-install the PDF printer back into the printer list?

A: Method One

Quit Acrobat and Print Center if they are running.
Delete the AdobePDF.app application that's installed in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/
Launch Acrobat 6. You will be prompted to authenticate the installer by entering your password.
Launch Printer Center and verify that Adobe PDF has been added to the printer list.

http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=3180

Also:
http://software-robotics.com/db_user_forums/viewtopic.php?t=189

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Interesting timing. I JUST got around to pulling out the CS disks. This file Didn't even exist because I've yet to launch Acrobat. I launched it and voila- there's AdobePDF in my Application Support folder, and now in my printer list. Thanks a million.

Interesting though (and I assume this is just Tiger), look at this screen grab. The drop down is now the place to select the postscript option, while it used to be under 'Copies and Pages' as 'Output Options>postscript'. I hope it is still doing it the same way under the hood.

Hmmm. thinking about it, I used to be able to have ANY printer selected and make a postscript. Now I have to have Adobe PDF defined as my printer. Still confused. :confused:

Thanks for all your help.

Decksnap

Attachments

• quark-dialog.gif
    quark-dialog.gif
    36.1 KB · Views: 190

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
decksnap said:
. thinking about it, I used to be able to have ANY printer selected and make a postscript. Now I have to have Adobe PDF defined as my printer. Still confused. :confused:

After much experimentation and some research, we use the Pass4Press specs which are based around PDFX1a. With QuarkXpress 6.x we also stick to their recommended method of producing CMYK PDFs — at first slightly awkward but practice and presets makes it simple. Perfect results every time without fail.

Download this PDF (13.7mb) and check the instructions for Quark 6 on page 10.
http://www.pass4press.com/public/downloads/pass4press_v6_Final-noreg.pdf

http://www.pass4press.com/

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Turns out my issues are a combination of a couple things... one is that they indeed have moved the 'output options' option down under the Save as PDF button, and two, there is a glitch where it won't let me save off the postscript with this option unless I switch to a different printer and switch back to my preferred printer. Werrr. Either way, working now (with stupid glitch workaround)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Big problem with direct PDF output instead of printing to .ps with Adobe PDF in Quark 6.0 & 6.1 (fixed in 6.5) is the detritus of bulky postscript files which aren't deleted after use. :rolleyes:

If you're running one of the earlier versions, then check Applications:QuarkXpress:Jaws:Temp to see if there's anything there. It should be empty.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
You said what now? I don't do direct PDFs from Quark.

But technically speaking, what is creating my postscript- Jaws or OS X?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
decksnap said:
You said what now? I don't do direct PDFs from Quark.

But technically speaking, what is creating my postscript- Jaws or OS X?

if you generate the PDF through Quark, JAWS with create the PDF. If you generate the PDF through the Save Dialog, OSX will create the PDF.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
beatle888 said:
if you generate the PDF through Quark, JAWS with create the PDF. If you generate the PDF through the Save Dialog, OSX will create the PDF.

And if you print to postscript using Adobe PDF as a PPD into a Press/PDFX1A watched folder for Distiller, you'll avoid both and get a nice and correct PDF that isn't bloated in file size... hence the link I provided back there.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
beatle888 said:

Yes, the bloating is only really due to generating a PDF directly.. What I'm asking is what creates the postscript itself from the Printer dialog in Quark? The Printer dialog is provided by the OS, not Quark, which is why I ask. And it doesn't matter what printer I have set here. Adobe PDF shouldn't be necessary.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
decksnap said:
Yes, the bloating is only really due to generating a PDF directly.. What I'm asking is what creates the postscript itself from the Printer dialog in Quark? The Printer dialog is provided by the OS, not Quark, which is why I ask. And it doesn't matter what printer I have set here. Adobe PDF shouldn't be necessary.

Try dumping a .ps file into Distiller from a Laserjet PPD. Adobe PDF PPD gives perfect results every time, spots included if written as DeviceN.

But if you have a system and it works for you and separates properly then that's OK too. I'm just imparting well-tried and trusted methods.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Well I'm going to re-up to 6.1, then 6.5 and see if the glitch disappears.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
decksnap said:
Well I'm going to re-up to 6.1, then 6.5 and see if the glitch disappears.

6.5: Welcome to external/bleed guides on master pages (finally), Quark Vista etc... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.