Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k24a.ivtec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
i just installed the iTunes program that came with my iPod. Imported songs from a CD to my iTunes library, and that worked fine. Songs went from iTunes to my iPod just fine. When I go back to actually PLAY a song in my iTunes, NOTHING is happening! The songs are there, but not playing. Yes, my speakers are on. The play icon in iTunes is not even turning into the pause icon as it supposed to. I tried importing and playing a new cd, still nothing happening. Then, I uninstalled iTunes by removing the program, and then reinstalled the whole thing. STILL NOTHING!!! What's going on???

ADDITIONAL NOTE: even w/ a cd in the drive, iTunes will still not play songs.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
k24a.ivtec said:
i just installed the iTunes program that came with my iPod. Imported songs from a CD to my iTunes library, and that worked fine. Songs went from iTunes to my iPod just fine. When I go back to actually PLAY a song in my iTunes, NOTHING is happening! The songs are there, but not playing. Yes, my speakers are on. The play icon in iTunes is not even turning into the pause icon as it supposed to. I tried importing and playing a new cd, still nothing happening. Then, I uninstalled iTunes by removing the program, and then reinstalled the whole thing. STILL NOTHING!!! What's going on???

ADDITIONAL NOTE: even w/ a cd in the drive, iTunes will still not play songs.

While there should be nothing wrong with the version of iTunes that shipped with your iPod, try going to Apple.com and downloading the most recent version of iTunes (or use Software Update). A new version was just released and after getting used to it, I really like the music store tie-in at the bottom. See if that works. If not, report back. I have never heard of your problem before. Please give more information: PC or Mac. Which OS. What hardware. Ever used iTunes on this computer before. Try restarting, repairing permissions, and maybe even zapping the pram (if on an OS X mac).

More information would help narrow the problem. Does your computer play other types of media files? With sound? Just curious (although the fact that iTunes's play button isn't changing and the progress bar isn't showing up indicate that the above question may be moot).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What sort of computer do you have? Can we assume this computer is playing other sounds normally? Are you playing songs from the iTunes library or elsewhere? :)

k24a.ivtec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
The computer is a dell (fairly new). I had an old version of iTunes on it, and everything worked fine. All other sounds/playing devices are working fine also. The iPod I bought was a nano. Thanks for the help.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I'm not sure, but when you upgrade from an older version of iTunes to a newer one, do you lose your library? I'm in the same boat as the OP (without the iPod-I updated iTunes and now my songs wont play). Oh lord...I hope that isn't the case:(

AmericanInJapan

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2004
Japan
New "Mini Store" in iTunes stops CDs from playing...

It should be noted that the "Mini Store" in the latest version of iTunes 6.0.2, interrupts regular functions like playing music from a purchased CD as it tries to access the iTMS database.

Case In point: I recently purchase the new Mary J. Blige CD "The Breakthrough". I hadn't even noticed the new addition to iTunes until I tried to play this CD. When clicking on the desired track, I got an error message that read: "The Music Store could not process your request, please try again later."

Apparently this happens because (living in Japan) I have to buy my music from the Japanese iTMS and that particular CD is not yet available on the Japanese iTMS. Fine, that's why I bought the CD but iTMS stopping me from listening to a CD I just bought because it's not available on my local iTMS is absolutely ridiculous! Apple should be ashamed.:mad:

Fortunately I've found several workarounds to this problem but I think it shouldn't exist in the first place.

1. You could choose "Hide mini store" from the "Edit" window.

2. I also found I could switch to another iTMS where the CD is available (although I can't purchase it from my location).

As a person who purchases and listens to a lot of music, I can see that this problem will eventually escalate. So I would like to take this opportunity to suggest to Apple (and the music industry) that if you truly want to put an end to (or at least dramatically curve) illegal downloads, then you should start working on making one huge, one stop global iTMS where anyone can purchase any song anywhere in the world. In my opinion, one of the biggest reasons why people steal music is NOT because they don't want or can't afford to pay a dollar or so for a track; it's because they can't get access to the music they want through legal services like iTMS. It's just much easier to find that rare track they've been searching for through Peer-To-Peer networks. If iTMS (or any other legal music service) offered that kind of global access to music, I'm willing to bet it would cut illegal downloads dramatically. As an American living and working in Japan, I find it ridiculous that I can't purchse music I see on my home country's iTMS because I happen to be living in Japan at the moment. To the music industry I address this comment: IT IS YOUR GREED THAT IS CUTTING INTO YOUR SALES, NOT THE INTERNET! We as consumers want to pay for our music. Stop with your absurd localization tactics and let us purchase our music freely. Only then will you see an end to internet theft. Apple has proved that if given the choice, most people would prefer to buy their music legally. What more do you need?!

Then technologies like the mini store would make sense and may become a welcome addition instead of the annoyance it has become for many of us. That's my two cents. Thanks for reading.

k24a.ivtec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
so should I delete the current iTunes (again) and go to apple.com and download the new one?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
AmericanInJapan said:
Case In point: I recently purchase the new Mary J. Blige CD "The Breakthrough". I hadn't even noticed the new addition to iTunes until I tried to play this CD. When clicking on the desired track, I got an error message that read: "The Music Store could not process your request, please try again later."

Apparently this happens because (living in Japan) I have to buy my music from the Japanese iTMS and that particular CD is not yet available on the Japanese iTMS. Fine, that's why I bought the CD but iTMS stopping me from listening to a CD I just bought because it's not available on my local iTMS is absolutely ridiculous! Apple should be ashamed.:mad:

When I have a song selected that is not available throught the iTMS I just get a "No Match" notice (where the "Inside the Music Store" link normally appears) and then New Releases, etc. And I can play my CDs just fine.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
spinne1 said:
You don't delete it, you install the new one which will install over the old one. If it is not too old, your old one becomes your new one (at least on a Mac it does).

Does on a pc too :)

k24a.ivtec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
ok - was out of town and could not get to the forum (or my PC) to check updates in a few days.....but here's the newest development: Now no sound is working on my PC at all. No iTunes (mp3 or CD), windows media, AIM sounds, websites with sounds....NOTHING. All this happened when i tried to install iTunes. Something is definately wrong with the settings. How can I go back and see, and try to fix, what's wrong???!?!?!! :eek:

Edit: I've narrowed it to something with the sound device or sound card. Anyone??

k24a.ivtec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
Now i think the process somehow fried my sound card, and I have to take it to someone to get it replaced. WTF?:mad::confused:

cardman2574

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2006
may help

try right clicking on your volume icon in the lower right corner click adjust audio properties, under device volume click advanced, make sure the wave volume is turned up. not sure just a suggestion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.