Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FieldsOfDreams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
NYC
I still am unable to see WMV videos on the internet. I downloaded flip for mac and all I get on screen is the box for the viewer but once I hit the play button nothing happens and instead of seeing the bar move at the bottom of the screen I just get a number, Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Are they WMV10? I don't think these are supported
Have you restarted Safari (or whatever browser you are using)? If not the components won't be working.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
First of all, the Flip4Mac browser plugin is only supported in Safari. Second, the plugin is still a work in progress and it's not 100 percent compatible with every site that's out there that has wmv embedded content. Flip4Mac has a preference setting in the system preference pane where you can swap the Flip4Mac plugin and MS's old WMP 9 plugin (assuming you have WMP 9 installed) on the fly, just in case you run into a site where Flip4Mac's plugin doesn't work. You'll have to restart Safari whenever you swap plugins.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
My experience with flip for mac.

MS announcess that they have dropped windows media player support for mac and now suggest flip for mac.

I download and install flip for mac. Every WMV I open in safari/quicktime with the plugin causes safari to crash. I recieve a WMV in mail, same thing.

I un-install flip for mac.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
In my case Flip4mac played the files OK but crashed Safari every time I hit the Safari back button. I uninstalled it.

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
dorno - upgrade to version 2.01.

The Void
If I was the type to take quotes from Usenet and put them in my .sig, this
would be one I'd take.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dornoforpyros said:
I download and install flip for mac. Every WMV I open in safari/quicktime with the plugin causes safari to crash. I recieve a WMV in mail, same thing.

Did you install F4M 2.0 on top of QT 7.0.4? If so, there is an extensive thread discussing this, as well as a fix. Considering that version of QT was released essentially simultaneously with F4M becoming free, and that they responded within a day or two, I think they did pretty well for themselves.

(Actually, this whole discussion could really be in that thread....)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep...

If you installed Flip 4 Mac from the MS website and then Quicktime 7.0.4, download and install Flip 4 Mac again. My crashing everytime I watch a wmv file was gone after a reinstall. They did a pretty good job of fixing that bug...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.