Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toddorndorff890

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Alright guys I'm new to the forum so please work with me lol. I bought the sims complete collection the other day to relive some childhood memories. I had it for pc back in the day but I obviously have a mac now. So I got the Mack version. Right now I'm running Yosemite. And I know it won't work because it's such an old game. Plus I keep getting a message saying the ppc is supported. Or whatever the message is. I've also read that there are ways around it. So what I need from someone is the exact step by step to do this. I don't really use the Mac for anything other than getting on the internet so the sky is the limit. Even if there's something I can download to alter it to make it work. I want the easiest step by step to get this game working. Even if that means downgrading from Yosemite or some way to to have Yosemite and an older update to make it work. I don't care what it takes lol. So ANYTHING you guys know that I can do and are willing to lend a hand I would really really appreciate it. Thanks and take care guys.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Unless your Mac originally came with OS X Snow Leopard (10.6), you're going to be out of luck.

Your best bet would be to obtain a copy of the Windows version of the game, a copy of Windows itself, and then install that through either Boot Camp or in a virtual machine with Parallels.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Unless your Mac originally came with OS X Snow Leopard (10.6), you're going to be out of luck.

Your best bet would be to obtain a copy of the Windows version of the game, a copy of Windows itself, and then install that through either Boot Camp or in a virtual machine with Parallels.

This (as I am aware) is your only option Todd.

Before you ask, unfortunately we dont have any plans to update Complete the way we did Sims 2. Its simply too old at this point.

Toddorndorff890

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
I believe it did come with that. But I've read there are ways to get snow leopard and older software(s) that you can get to work on here just to play the older games. Just not sure which software I have to download to make it work with what I have right now. People have talked about it all over the web, just didn't put any in depth details about it. And Blair, would I be able to possibly get a copy of the PC version in exchange for my Mac one at all? I bought it off eBay so I'm going to doubt it but worth a shot.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I believe it did come with that. But I've read there are ways to get snow leopard and older software(s) that you can get to work on here just to play the older games. Just not sure which software I have to download to make it work with what I have right now. People have talked about it all over the web, just didn't put any in depth details about it.

If you were reading about things like Wine and Crossover, those are applications that allow Windows programs to run on a Mac. That would be another viable option instead of using Parallels and a full installation of Windows. Again, though, this would require the Windows version of whatever game you want to play.

If there's some formula you find for getting a native Mac application that was designed for older OS X operating systems to run on a modern machine, please post it, as I think a lot of other people here would love to know.

Fnord

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2005
I have not done this but I believe it's possible to install Snow Leopard Server (or just Snow Leopard, though I'm not sure about the licensing) inside Parallels or VMware Fusion.

I think that's the only way to get older OS X software running on hardware that can't boot into Snow Leopard.

Toddorndorff890

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Fnord do you have any idea on how to do that? Like step by step? Each time I try to do anything using VMware or anything like that it either doesn't download right or or it's more complicated than it really needs to be. ::mad:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Have you considered the Sims 2 that Aspyr recently released on the Mac App Store to have some Sims fun with? This would "just work" and cost a lot less than buying a Parallels or VMware license. You can skip the headaches and expense and go straight to some fun. Just a suggestion.

Toddorndorff890

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Could any of you tell me how to run Snow Leopard with Virtual Box? If so, would I be able to play the game that way?:(

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Could any of you tell me how to run Snow Leopard with Virtual Box? If so, would I be able to play the game that way?:(

If your mac can run snow leopard you can create a second partition and boot up in Snow Leopard to play the sims. What year & model is your mac?

Toddorndorff890

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch early 2011.

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5.

Intel HD Graphics 3000 383 MB

----------

I mean honestly, I'll do whatever it takes. VMware, virtual box etc. I just need to know the steps on how to get it to work (knock on wood) if it will work. :rolleyes:

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch early 2011.

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5.

Intel HD Graphics 3000 383 MB

----------

I mean honestly, I'll do whatever it takes. VMware, virtual box etc. I just need to know the steps on how to get it to work (knock on wood) if it will work. :rolleyes:

I can't be sure but if it is early 2011 it probably originally came with Snow Leopard? If so you can install Snow Leopard on separate partition and boot up. SL install DVD cost about $25 on Apple Store

I have never tried virtual machine but you need plenty of RAM. Snow Leopard should be able to run on virtualbox but don't think it will install with other virtual machines.

I think Lion came out late 2011.

Hopefully someone with more experience can help you.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Have you considered the Sims 2 that Aspyr recently released on the Mac App Store to have some Sims fun with? This would "just work" and cost a lot less than buying a Parallels or VMware license. You can skip the headaches and expense and go straight to some fun. Just a suggestion.

This.

I loved the Sims and the Sims 2 was just enhancements and the best version IMO, it did not get ruined until The Sims 3.

So if you loved The Sims, The Sims 2 will not disappoint.

Fnord

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2005
Fnord do you have any idea on how to do that? Like step by step? Each time I try to do anything using VMware or anything like that it either doesn't download right or or it's more complicated than it really needs to be. ::mad:

I still have Macs that can boot into Snow Leopard, so haven't had to try it yet. I did buy a copy of Snow Leopard Server so I can when it eventually becomes necessary. I hope what you need is in one of the threads below:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1365439/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1203258/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1199489/

Toddorndorff890

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
Hey guys sorry I haven't been back on here. If anyone is wanting to know, I was lucky enough to be able to find my original Mac cd so I was able to install it using VirtualBox. I got all the specs set and the CD opened right away on the desktop (of snow leopard through VB) and it installed no problem. It's a lot easier than it seemed to be. If anyone else does this, the game will run fine. Until you start to play it and your sims characters are moving around. My solution to this! While the game is playing (don't pause it keep t running) just shut your laptop. Let it go to sleep for about 10 seconds and open it back up. It will lag for a few and should start right back up. Least that's what I've been doing and it works great. For anyone that responded thanks a ton guys! Anyone have any questions about this just send me a message and I'll be more than happy to help.

DeneshaSGorman

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
Illinois
Hey guys sorry I haven't been back on here. If anyone is wanting to know, I was lucky enough to be able to find my original Mac cd so I was able to install it using VirtualBox. I got all the specs set and the CD opened right away on the desktop (of snow leopard through VB) and it installed no problem. It's a lot easier than it seemed to be. If anyone else does this, the game will run fine. Until you start to play it and your sims characters are moving around. My solution to this! While the game is playing (don't pause it keep t running) just shut your laptop. Let it go to sleep for about 10 seconds and open it back up. It will lag for a few and should start right back up. Least that's what I've been doing and it works great. For anyone that responded thanks a ton guys! Anyone have any questions about this just send me a message and I'll be more than happy to help.
[doublepost=1482472018][/doublepost]Hi! How are you? I stumbled upon your thread when I researched ways to play The Sims Complete Collection on an up to date MacBook. I have a 2016 and it's run under Sierra. Do I have a chance?

brandoncoppin

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2017
Alright guys I'm new to the forum so please work with me lol. I bought the sims complete collection the other day to relive some childhood memories. I had it for pc back in the day but I obviously have a mac now. So I got the Mack version. Right now I'm running Yosemite. And I know it won't work because it's such an old game. Plus I keep getting a message saying the ppc is supported. Or whatever the message is. I've also read that there are ways around it. So what I need from someone is the exact step by step to do this. I don't really use the Mac for anything other than getting on the internet so the sky is the limit. Even if there's something I can download to alter it to make it work. I want the easiest step by step to get this game working. Even if that means downgrading from Yosemite or some way to to have Yosemite and an older update to make it work. I don't care what it takes lol. So ANYTHING you guys know that I can do and are willing to lend a hand I would really really appreciate it. Thanks and take care guys.

Hey! I purchased the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection form the Mac App Store. It works brilliantly in 4K and I am running the most recent version of Sierra. It's only $20 so I'd say it's your easiest fix.

XD_Goulart

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2019
This (as I am aware) is your only option Todd.

Before you ask, unfortunately we dont have any plans to update Complete the way we did Sims 2. Its simply too old at this point.
And just because of that you do not want to bring the game back, is it impossible? That sounds like an excuse to be a mercenary, I do not know ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.