Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
i can put one together, should i just use a regular full Yosemite install disk? or does it need to be the modified boot?

If you want it to boot and be usable on the Mac Pro then you will need to modify if.

I'm betting this is a kernel cache issue caused by something installed. Not sure if you can rebuild kernel cache from terminal in the installer or not. You might have to do a reinstall. You won't lose any user files.

RX2904

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2014
The purpose of the script is to replace the boot.efi files right before every reboot. That is how it works and why it works. When you install 10.10.2 and it replaces the boot.efi file with a non working one and then it ask you to reboot. Right before you reboot the script puts back the working Pike boot.efi file. This way the system continues to boot.

He was messing with it because he installed the TobyG script instead of the PikeYoseFix as described in my post before 666Sheep had posted the PikeYoseFix.

Yep, that's how it happened. Sorry for causing confusion and I appreciate you guys trying to help.

Hennessie2000, can I install the original 10.10.0 over the corrupted 10.10.2 system and then run PikeYoseFix and then update to 10.10.2 via the app store? Will that eliminate the mess I created? Do I still need to SFOTT at some point?

Thank you guys!

hubchau

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2010
I am trying to follow the instructions a few posts back for copying pikes boot.efi onto my 10.10.2 Yosemite SSD. Booted a retail Snowleopard dvd and started terminal. Changed directory (I'm assuming, doesn't change the prompt, but doesn't give me an error either) but both " sudo chef lags -nouchg boot.efi " and " sudo rm -rf boot.efi " give me "-bash: command not found" and return me to a " -bash-3.2# ". I should note, that I also have a working 10.9.5 install that I can boot from, but I got some errors about illegal operations the first time I tried.

Type chflags nouchg instead (minus "sudo" and "-"). Yosemite seems to have a different version of chflags.

Last edited:

simonden

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2015
Hi all,

Many thanks for this great thread. Having a fully loaded MacPro 2,1 and with most software that I use now requiring 10.8 or above, this was a life-saver.

I have been using 10.10.1 for a few weeks and followed the instructions to the letter to upgrade to 10.10.2 (I am fairly computer literate) and still got a folder with question mark on boot after the 10.10.2 upgrade! Fortunately, I kept the USB stick and have now fixed it. For anyone else with the amended USB Yosemite installer, here is what I did. (listed every step so hopefully even people without computer skills can follow):

1) Insert USB stick and turn on Mac, the mac automatically booted from the USB stick

2) Click continue on mouse/keyboard (if using bluetooth), select language and continue to the screen where you get the utilities menu bar, select Terminal from the utilities menu and terminal should open

3) In terminal type:
Code:
chflags nouchg /Volumes/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
and press return.
notes:
This removes flags in the locked file.
Do not use sudo in any of these commands, it will error.
Replace "System" in the above text string (and the following text strings) with the name of your boot drive, I use the name System as my boot drive so it works. If you need to find out the name of your Hard Drive use the following code first
Code:
ls /Volumes

4) In terminal type:
Code:
cp Library/CoreServices/boot.efi /Volumes/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
and press return.

5) In terminal type:
Code:
cp Library/CoreServices/boot.efi /Volumes/System/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
and press return.

6) In terminal type:
Code:
chflags uchg /Volumes/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
and press return.
notes:
This puts back the flag to lock the file.

7) You just need to reboot and all should hopefully be OK, just type
Code:
reboot
in terminal and press return.

Last edited:

dfritchie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2015
I never had that issue on my Mac pro with the same ODDs add you. Didn't see this issue till I went hackintosh. Turning off that option is what fixed it for me.

The only thing that keeps the drives working is to set it to never put computer to sleep.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Anyone willing to help me is greatly appreciated!

I am booting from 10.10.2 with manually replaced boot.efi. i installed pikeryosefix AFTER succesfully booting with manually replaced efis, so there won't be any future problems.

But now everytime I turn off my computer the efis are overwritten with faulty ones when I boot back up, causing a black screen.

To repeat: 10.10.2 works perfectly for me EXCEPT for the fact that I can't turn off the computer or else I'll lose my working efis again.

Help!

What boot.efi file are you using when you manually replace it? Black or grey and is it the most recent build?

jayshriver

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2015
Chef lags guy lol.

I'm all set! I was having a tuff time doing things through terminal, so I wound up boot ing into 10.9.5 install on another hdd. I have the settings tweaker ( forgive me for not knowing the name off the top of my head) so I could see hidden files. I downloaded pikes latest boot.efi (black) and browsed to /Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices , drug a copy of the book.efi out and pasted pikes boot.efi, then I navigated to /Volumes/Yosemite/usr/Standalone/i386 and drug that boot.efi out and copied pikes boot.efi in. On both you have to replace when you copy the files in to the directories. Then I went to the disc utility and chose the Yosemite volume and repair permissions.
Then I restarted and chose Yosemite from the boot screen (command + A I think) and I was back at my Yosemite desktop (finally) I downloaded the pikeyosfix, disabled trim from application, installed pikeyosefix and rebooted. And I'm all set! Thanks again for everyone's help. If I get some more free time I might even try booting to the recovery console and calling apple again to try to get iMessage and FaceTime working..... But I dream. Lol. Good luck to everyone else. Don't know if I just got lucky or if it really is that simple, when you have another bootable OS. Don't forget to re-enable trim for ssd's too!

Obibob

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2014
l,estartit spain
hell yes

I modified the script and Tobyg's package with Pike's fork of boot.efi.
I hope that tobyg won't mind this.

Above steps are no longer needed with updated version. Enjoy!

Credits go to Pike and Tobyg and of course to tiamo, who started this all.
Boot.efi inside the 1st package is black version.

Updated the post with gray version for these who prefer older look.
It's Hennessie's build from post #1616, black is mine from latest version of Pike's sources.

used this first cloned yosemite toke out original updated to 10.10.2 cloned back
every thing works fine
THANKS to all

RX2904

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2014
What boot.efi file are you using when you manually replace it? Black or grey and is it the most recent build?

I'm using the Black one and it is the most recent built yes.

----------

Hennessie2000, can I install the original 10.10.0 over the corrupted 10.10.2 system and then run PikeYoseFix before updating to 10.10.2 via the app store?

Will install of 10.10.0 over the 10.10.2 fix the mess I created? Or do I have to format that drive and erase all traces of the broken 10.10.2.?

Do I still need to SFOTT at some point?

thank you

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I'm using the Black one and it is the most recent built yes.

----------

Hennessie2000, can I install the original 10.10.0 over the corrupted 10.10.2 system and then run PikeYoseFix before updating to 10.10.2 via the app store?

Will install of 10.10.0 over the 10.10.2 fix the mess I created? Or do I have to format that drive and erase all traces of the broken 10.10.2.?

Do I still need to SFOTT at some point?

thank you

What I think you need to do first is remove any trace of the launch daemons installed by the fix scripts. Then remove the boot.Pike.efi or boot.Tiamo.efi then put the working boot.efi in place and reboot. So you have a working 10.10.2.

RX2904

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2014
What I think you need to do first is remove any trace of the launch daemons installed by the fix scripts. Then remove the boot.Pike.efi or boot.Tiamo.efi then put the working boot.efi in place and reboot. So you have a working 10.10.2.

Right, I was just thinking that maybe installing 10.10.0 over the 10.10.2 would take care of the "remove any trace of the launch daemons installed by the fix scripts."

But of course if you'd be kind enough to guide me through how to remove them, I'll be glad to follow your lead.

Thanks a lot!

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Right, I was just thinking that maybe installing 10.10.0 over the 10.10.2 would take care of the "remove any trace of the launch daemons installed by the fix scripts."

But of course if you'd be kind enough to guide me through how to remove them, I'll be glad to follow your lead.

Thanks a lot!

It should get rid of the launch daemons

RX2904

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2014
It should get rid of the launch daemons

Really sorry, just want to make sure I understand you correctly as I don't want to cause any further damage.

What do you mean by "it"? I can go ahead with installing 10.10.0 with an original Yosemite installer on the 10.10.2 drive WITHOUT having to format the drive, yes?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Really sorry, just want to make sure I understand you correctly as I don't want to cause any further damage.

What do you mean by "it"? I can go ahead with installing 10.10.0 with an original Yosemite installer on the 10.10.2 drive WITHOUT having to format the drive, yes?

Yes just do the install of 10.10.0. It will not mess with any user files.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Will that erase the SFOTT I did to run Mavericks/Yosemite in the first place and I'll have to do it again?

Huh? I don't understand.

Use SFOTT or the guide to build yourself a USB installer for 10.10.0 that already contains the modified boot.efi files and will boot on the Mac Pro. It is just a good idea to have this for recovery purposes any ways.

Then use that installer to install 10.10.0. It will then boot to 10.10.0 on the Mac Pro. Then just to be sure look in /Library/LaunchDaemons and make sure there aren't any references to Pike or Tiamo. Then look in the /usr/standalone/i386 fold and make sure there is only one boot.efi.

Now, install the PikeYoseFix and reboot twice. You can check the time stamps on the i386 boot.efi to make sure they are being replaced on every reboot by the PikeYoseFix as they should be. If it is rebooting fine then go ahead and update using the App Store to 10.10.2.

RX2904

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2014
Huh? I don't understand.

Use SFOTT or the guide to build yourself a USB installer for 10.10.0 that already contains the modified boot.efi files and will boot on the Mac Pro. It is just a good idea to have this for recovery purposes any ways.

Then use that installer to install 10.10.0. It will then boot to 10.10.0 on the Mac Pro. Then just to be sure look in /Library/LaunchDaemons and make sure there aren't any references to Pike or Tiamo. Then look in the /usr/standalone/i386 fold and make sure there is only one boot.efi.

Now, install the PikeYoseFix and reboot twice. You can check the time stamps on the i386 boot.efi to make sure they are being replaced on every reboot by the PikeYoseFix as they should be. If it is rebooting fine then go ahead and update using the App Store to 10.10.2.

Thank you!!! That was just the perfectly detailed description I needed! I think I can do this now.

RX2904

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2014
Anyone ever had the case, that a created SFOTT key somehow won't boot???

I tried holding down the option key (on my mbp). SFOTT key appears, I select, takes a while, boots the mbp system, not the thumb drive system.

I tried selecting Start volume from system preferences. Same.

I tried taking out the SSD with the old system on it. Won't boot at all.

I tried a different USB thumb drive. same.

Followed the SFOTT directions to a T.

It will either boot into another (old) system or the screen stays black.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Anyone ever had the case, that a created SFOTT key somehow won't boot???

I tried holding down the option key (on my mbp). SFOTT key appears, I select, takes a while, boots the mbp system, not the thumb drive system.

I tried selecting Start volume from system preferences. Same.

I tried taking out the SSD with the old system on it. Won't boot at all.

I tried a different USB thumb drive. same.

Followed the SFOTT directions to a T.

It will either boot into another (old) system or the screen stays black.

Something is wrong with the boot.efi on the USB drive. Since it won't load, the computer is booting the next one that will so it is defaulting back to the older OS. You can try replacing the boot.efi files that are on the USB with one's downloaded from the first post of this thread.

johnywoodstar

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2015
@hennessie:

can you put the kernel file that need to be extracted from the package file online? for some reason i'm not getting it extracted with pacifist, did it on several machines: same problem

the error i get: file “file:///var/folders/n9/5rj4lzxj231bvhcr3xxz12w40000gn/T/com.charlessoft.pacifist.temp/1301/9D2AF401-C0F4-4D89-9719-182701255934%20Contents/./System/Library/Kernels/kernel” does not exist.

tx

dagonmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
It is very neat indeed, and it works well, as documented at the beginning of this thread. Some people have stated they've encountered difficulties in following the detailed procedure. Such difficulties may be summarised as follows:

1. Some people have no clue as to what they are doing. This makes it hard for them to follow even simple steps. For them the whole thing is a conundrum, and, no matter how much detail you provide, every sentence opens up a wide gap of interpretive dilemmas. For the such, there's little hope that any of this will ever work.
  2. Some people simply can't read (this would be a subset of the above). For instance, it has been known all along that 10.10.2 would overwrite boot.efi, thereby crippling all machines relying on Tiamo/Pike's boot.efi. It has been equally known that there's an automatic script capable of restoring the patched boot.efi so that no harm will be done, but these people are surprised that they've bricked their computers, and imagine that they've come across some unforeseeable difficulty.
  3. Some people have unusual setups. In fact, they are so unusual that they themselves can't describe what the setup is. They may have even installed other patches that might interact with the boot mechanism, but they are no longer conscious of what they installed. Naturally, for someone else to imagine what such users might have installed may require a crystal ball.
  4. Some people are knowledgeable and smart, but simply have bad luck in the choice of auxiliary hardware to effect the initial installation procedure. It appears that several brands of pen drives fail to boot as expected.

For the last group, and possibly as a general recommendation, I would suggest that, instead of using a USB pen drive, Yosemite be installed by creating the customised installer on a hard drive in one of Mac Pro bays. That is faster than a pen drive, more fool-proof, it can't be misplaced, so that you can easily reboot into the installer, should that be required at any time (for instance, if one's clumsiness causes the patched boot.efi to be replaced by a software update), et cetera.

Very eloquently put. If you read my post, you would see that I'm not trying to install the patch 10.10.2; I was trying to do a fresh install of 10.10.2 (app store is giving this out now). I did the follow the instructions but didn't try the manual method in the 1st post which ended up working. That was very helpful.

Thanks for the other responses. I did try SFOTT one more time. It looks like you have to copy the kernel before you run SFOTT b/c it bombs in the middle of running the script. I copied the kernel after running SFOTT which didn't work for me.

Nevertheless, it looks like I'm in business thanks to the manual method. Thanks for this thread and your help.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
@hennessie:

can you put the kernel file that need to be extracted from the package file online? for some reason i'm not getting it extracted with pacifist, did it on several machines: same problem

the error i get: file “file:///var/folders/n9/5rj4lzxj231bvhcr3xxz12w40000gn/T/com.charlessoft.pacifist.temp/1301/9D2AF401-C0F4-4D89-9719-182701255934%20Contents/./System/Library/Kernels/kernel” does not exist.

tx

Any chance you have another Mac already running Yosemite? If so you can grab the kernel from there. If not I can upload one later today.

SOLIDRNY379CH

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
Hello,

I have an older MacPro2,1 with 32GB RAM, 8Core 3GHz and a 512GB SSD.

With the SFOTT 1.4.5.10 methode i only able to create a 10.10 and 10.10.1 USB installer. If i try to build a 10.10.2 i got a kernel panic after i try the stick to boot on.

Have any other here the same problem?

Thanks for answer,:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.